Big Ten ACC Challenge pairings

SOD

So the ACC gets to leave arguably its worst team (GTech) out of the challenge.

From a Strength of Schedule/RPI standpoint, that's a good thing. I don't give a rip about winning the challenge itself, I don't remember who won last year.

Upon reflection from the RPI standpoint, I guess I do care a little how the Big 10 does overall. Especially the Big 10 teams the Gophers play twice.

I don't remember who won last year.

Interesting you say that, because back when the ACC was winning it every year, the media would remind everyone CONSTANTLY.

Now that the Big Ten hasn't lost in 6 years (4 wins, 2 ties) you don't hear so much about who won any more.

To me it's a big deal to win this challenge -- good bragging rights.

Interesting you say that, because back when the ACC was winning it every year, the media would remind everyone CONSTANTLY.

Now that the Big Ten hasn't lost in 6 years (4 wins, 2 ties) you don't hear so much about who won any more.

They did win 10 in a row. I suspect that if the BIG keeps this streak alive we'll hear more and more about it.

The UCLA game had to be close.

Don't get me wrong, the UCLA game was great because it sent us to the Final Four, but watching both in person the UCLA game didn't have nearly the energy or tension as the Clemson game, nor did it have Bobby Jackson going off for a historic performance for the ages. That was one of those where afterwards you sit down and think "that was one of the best games I've ever seen."

win/tie

So did the Big 10 win or tie last year? If it is a tie, is it like the Ryder Cup where the previous winner retains the trophy sponsored by whatever company has been deemed the highest bidder by ESPN/Big10/ACC?

So did the Big 10 win or tie last year? If it is a tie, is it like the Ryder Cup where the previous winner retains the trophy sponsored by whatever company has been deemed the highest bidder by ESPN/Big10/ACC?

Won 8-6 after 2 years of ties in a row.

Boring matchup. Its like playing Rutgers @ home. I wish we had more street cred. so we could play a higher ranked team from the ACC

Didn't even realize it until I saw it on Twitter, but the Gophers have won 4 straight in the Challenge. So we got that going for us.

Clemson seems like a good match for the Gophers. Young team last year who went 8-10 in the ACC with most of that team coming back, a legit potential star in Jaron Blossomgame, and a great defensive team pretty much every year. They beat LSU and Arkansas last season and should be better this year with everyone getting a year older. This seems like a perfect team for the Gophers - they can beat them, and Clemson could also potentially be a tournament team. Would you rather have them play Virginia Tech?

Boring matchup. Its like playing Rutgers @ home. I wish we had more street cred. so we could play a higher ranked team from the ACC

I would agree some years, but I'm not sure how good we'll be this year, and I don't want to play a team that's going to give us a beatdown. As cool as a game against Duke or Louisville or Syracuse would be, this isn't the year I would want that. Plus it's an at least decent team, not the absolute dregs, and it's not round 6 against Florida State.

Didn't even realize it until I saw it on Twitter, but the Gophers have won 4 straight in the Challenge. So we got that going for us.

Yup, haven't lost a non-conference home game since that stinker against what ended up being a 100+ RPI Virginia team right after winning the Puerto Rico tip-off back in 2010. In fact I think we have one of the longest non-conference home winning streaks in the country.

Clemson seems like a good match for the Gophers. Young team last year who went 8-10 in the ACC with most of that team coming back, a legit potential star in Jaron Blossomgame, and a great defensive team pretty much every year. They beat LSU and Arkansas last season and should be better this year with everyone getting a year older. This seems like a perfect team for the Gophers - they can beat them, and Clemson could also potentially be a tournament team. Would you rather have them play Virginia Tech?

Hmmm. I guess it'll be a tougher game than I first thought when I saw "Clemson" at home and chalked it up as a win.

And yeah, our home non-conference streak is getting to be noteworthy. I think Duke currently has a longer one, but I'm not sure if anyone else does.

Edit: yep, we currently have the second-longest non-conference home winning streak in the country. Dwarfed by Duke's, but still.

Who exactly do you brag to? Are you in close contact with multiple ACC fans?

Don't get me wrong. I like seeing the conference win these games but no one cares besides those who are partisans of those conferences already and the partisans I know well are all Big Ten fans.

If what you say about them is true, then maybe I would rather play Virginia Tech, or maybe Wake Forest. This team could wind up with 1 or even 2 non-conference losses right off the bat from the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

And it's the weekend between the NFL conference championships and the Super Bowl.

Time for us to do that with the Pac 10. Good TV. Good basketball (for the most part). Good timing. It all works except that we probably end up with another 250+ pre season game if it happens.

Top Bottom