SportingNews & Athlons: Big Ten Coaching Rankings - Jerry Kill #5

Athlons also has Kill at #5:

5. Jerry Kill, Minnesota

Record at Minnesota: 25-26 (4 years)

Career Record: 152-99 (21 years)

As we mentioned above, college football coaches can’t be judged strictly on wins and losses. Kill is a perfect example of why record isn’t the best indicator of coaching ability, as he’s only 25-26 in four years with Minnesota. The Golden Gophers have made significant improvement under his watch, going from 3-9 in his first year to three consecutive bowl games. And Minnesota is coming off back-to-back eight-win seasons and finished 5-3 in Big Ten play last year – the first winning mark in conference play since 2003. Kill is a proven winner at four other coaching stops in his career, including a 23-16 record at Northern Illinois and a 55-32 mark at Southern Illinois.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-college-football-coaches-2015

Go Gophers!!

James Franklin as 4th is a little suspect, but we'll see. He's the flavor of the month.

Didn't we try to hire Edsall? I'm pretty sure we did, but I don't want to repeat the denial on this board that we saw about our absolute attempt to hire Hoke. Anyway, not sure who wouldn't take Kill of those 3 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still remember Coach Kill's 1st B1G Media Day. Anxiously awaited his turn to speak and he may have had a 4 minute Q & A session with media. Each year goes by and more interest in program, his efforts, the players, etc. and those sessions get longer.

I know Harbaugh has been talked about ad nauseum on other boards but it amazes me how a coach taking over a hot mess of a program is instantly seen as some sort of football Messiah media wise. A benefit of a big name taking over the reigns of a blue blood program I suppose.

I know Harbaugh has been talked about ad nauseum on other boards but it amazes me how a coach taking over a hot mess of a program is instantly seen as some sort of football Messiah media wise. A benefit of a big name taking over the reigns of a blue blood program I suppose.

I totally agree. Other coaches in his position have failed at the next stop as their ego starts to get in the way as it grows and grows. That is my hope at MI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29-6 at U of San Diego
4-8 first year at Stanford. 4 years later he's 12-1 with a victory in the Orange Bowl
44-19-1 with the 49'ers and that includes last year's 8-8 low point.

He might be a d*ck and he might not wear well but pretty hard not to see him as a messiah. Just glad he's in the other division, and he and Urban sniping and back stabbing each other while taking the high road is going to be pretty entertaining.

29-6 at U of San Diego
4-8 first year at Stanford. 4 years later he's 12-1 with a victory in the Orange Bowl

He might be a d*ck and he might not wear well but pretty hard not to see him as a messiah. Just glad he's in the other division, and he and Urban sniping and back stabbing each other while taking the high road is going to be pretty entertaining.

I'd be willing to say Harbaugh is top 2-3 coach at any level of college football/NFL. He has done more than succeeded at every level he has coached.

I don't understand why people think because he hasn't coached a game at Michigan that he isn't a top coach in the Big 10. If Tom Brady was granted an extra year of college eligibility, I'd be willing to say he is the best QB in the Big 10. If you're good, you're good.

I still remember Coach Kill's 1st B1G Media Day. Anxiously awaited his turn to speak and he may have had a 4 minute Q & A session with media. Each year goes by and more interest in program, his efforts, the players, etc. and those sessions get longer.
Those four minutes probably included his opening statement I'm sure.

29-6 at U of San Diego

It's one thing to go into a situation where the expectation is to field competitive teams. Harbaugh is going into a situation where National Championships and beating OSU are the expectation right now. JMO, I don't think he is elite enough to handle it. He will wear on people eventually and be gone within five years.

The Big Ten Coach of the year is rated 5th. What am I missing?????

The Sporting News, Athlon should disclose their sales by state. I believe their sales drive the stories, rankings, et al

James Franklin as 4th is a little suspect, but we'll see. He's the flavor of the month.

Vanderbilt's football history is worse than ours. Franklin took over a team that was 2-10 the two previous years and won nine games in his second and third seasons, 5-3 and 4-4 in the SEC. He basically did there what Kill has done here (some might say he did more, faster).

You could be right; it's not a long track record. What he's done so far looks okay, though.

Top Bottom