Sid: Strong indications that Regents will approve $40MM in borrowing for facilities

And I'm pointing out Norwood has been counting the Lindahl's donation as well as the others, announced, and unannounced, for quite some time. Maybe we are miscommunicating.

I am still surprised at the fund raising project. $140 million is an amount I can only vaguely put my mind around. However, the amount of money in Minneapolis and the greater Minnesota area is truly amazing. The fact that we recruit in large part based on our status as a home of Fortune 500 companies says it all. Then throw in several $billion private companies like Cargill and Northern Tool and it becomes mind blowing that the University of Minnesota is at $70 million and that nearly 50% of this is from one company and one wealthy couple. There are probably 200 families in Minnesota for whom a $1 million gift would only be a nice thing to do.

I really do not understand the inability to raise the money. Color me naive.

I am naive. I would assume that the mix of wealthy in Minnesota may include many who have no vested interest in the U. On the other hand their employees may. Good internal politics to donate.

Multimillion dollar contributions are typically not done with a single check, it is pledged. Often people agree to pay over time, for example. The point being the number is not final until the cash is in the bank.

You're confusing issues. Pompous Elitist is intelligently noting that $70MM has been the "current" number for many months and it included "things in the works"... if there were more "things in the works" today, the $70MM should be higher today.

The cash vs. pledge is a different, but interesting subject. Lots of bizarre talk of "short-term financing" from the U. Normally, you'd think of "short-term" as les than one year... I don't know what their definition is. But... consider the example of the LOL Foundation's contribution -- it's coming in over 10 years. That is, the cash won't all be in the door for another decade.

I don't feel like scrolling through the entire thread. When is the Regents meeting?

Agenda is already up. :)

OK...so... is the athletics village on the agenda? I see nothing about athletics, or construction, or Teague. Is it likely to simply fall within "new business" at the very end or the generically named "financial planning"? Or are we about to hear the bombshell that Teague isn't presenting it in June after all because we're not ready with enough private funding?

OK...so... is the athletics village on the agenda? I see nothing about athletics, or construction, or Teague. Is it likely to simply fall within "new business" at the very end or the generically named "financial planning"? Or are we about to hear the bombshell that Teague isn't presenting it in June after all because we're not ready with enough private funding?

I am sure you will lose sleep over trying to answer your own questions. :cool:

Hmm.. a couple options come to mind. We can wait until the 12th and find out. Or we can speculate wildly based on no info.

I don't feel like scrolling through the entire thread. When is the Regents meeting?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind. Or it might be June 12th.

Multiple reports having the regents voting to postpone start to September instead of August on breaking ground for facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we have our answer. Too bad LNH whiffed on the opportunity [above] to be "right."

Multiple reports having the regents voting to postpone start to September instead of August on breaking ground for facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The regents haven't voted yet. The actual vote was pushed back to September instead of July, which probably means breaking ground in October at the earliest.

Top Bottom