Gophers hire former Chicago Bears assistant Carson Walch as offensive consultant

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Rochester Post Bulletin:

Carson Walch is back in coaching.

The Elgin native was let go when the Chicago Bears fired most of their coaching staff following the 2014 NFL season. Walch, who is still being paid by the Bears for the 2015 season, was hired this week by the University of Minnesota.

The Gophers didn't have a position open on their staff, but head coach Jerry Kill created an offensive consultant spot just for Walch.

"I'm thankful coach Kill gave me the opportunity," Walch said. Walch started coaching at the lower college levels and has been in the professional ranks the past five years, three in the Canadian Football League and then the past two with the Bears.

"The goal is just to continue coaching football at a high level," Walch said. "This (college Division I) is really the only level I've never coached at."

Walch will work mostly with the Minnesota passing game. He was an offensive assistant with the Bears and worked closely with wide receivers.

"Coach Kill has done a great job up there and his program is on the rise," Walch said. "So I'm excited to be part of that in my home state."

Walch said the position could be for just one year as he will access his coaching options following the 2015 season. He begins his new position on Wednesday.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_6cb7d34c-db52-5fd4-b668-3dca3d761eea.html

Here was his bio on the Bears site:

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/Carson-Walch/df810165-9ff0-47da-8809-1f93ef811f22

Go Gophers!!

Can't go wrong. Perhaps everyone will learn from each other.

I would think newspaper websites would list the community or area they are from.

For all I know The Post Bulletin could be in Turd City, Nebraska.

Thankfully Bleed clarifies for us.

I would think newspaper websites would list the community or area they are from.

Their paper is called The Wipe.

PB is from Rochester.

This is another example of why this staff will not plateau like Mason's did they constantly seek to improve adapt and get better.

With Iowa next door, why would we need to pick on Nebraska?

For what it's worth the Post Bulletin does actually follow the Gophers, especially back in the Decker days, but keeps Mayo Town up to date on the UM football program.

Agreed they should identify who and where they represent but this publication is actually a friendly.

Bleed monitors them and for this the Billds are grateful.

That's a pretty opportunity for him all things considered. I have never been a coach, but unemployed people have a harder time getting a job.

This is another example of why this staff will not plateau like Mason's did they constantly seek to improve adapt and get better.

We can say that Jerry Kill employs continuous improvement with the idea of eventually achieving a breakthrough in all facets of the game. They don't seem to sit and be content on their laurels to date.

The last areas the Gophers need a lot of help in are the WRs & QB passing game. I am all for any help that come their way. Of course, we can't forget the importance of a steadfast O-Line.

The QB & WR play seem to be the hardest to improve. They pretty much have to deal with what they've got talent-wise until they start attracting superior talent. This is not a knock on Mitch or the current crop of receivers. They are going to be under the limelight this coming season.

Improvements in defense & the running game took precedence as these are key to the philosophical identity of the Gophers.

Early on in the Kill era, they ran a lot of vanilla offense because they had to start improvements slowly, and begin to build success incrementally. Now, as time goes by I'd expect the playbook to become more sophisticated.

Who knows, maybe he Gophers will start attracting the likes of Seth Green & other higher caliber QBs once they can show they can win games passing.

I like what I see with the progression of the quality of recruits each successive classes.

It is not inconceivable to see the Gophers win a B1G title or two down the road.

Let's get the facilities built already to keep any attempts to steal Coach Kill away! Let's also make sure we keep Coach Claeys here too!

Go Gophers! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Top Bottom