Mike Grimm in for Reusse Today

"I guarantee nobody thought my name was on that list"

Pitino talking about not being on the media's prediction for Minnesota's coaching search.

Any other highlights or quotes from the interview?...
I missed it

Just Lil Ricky damage control. Said Sr. claimed many of his pro MN comments were cut out interview with Rhome and others taken out of context. Ricky saying MN is where he wants to be and he can build a great program here. Minnesota is the best place he has ever lived and intends to stay here a long time.

I wasn't able to catch it either. Haven't checked the podcast yet.

Any other highlights or quotes from the interview?...
I missed it

Coach speak. Loves it here. Bama opportunity made him think about how great he has it here. Excited to build it here. Excited to build with the 6 to 8 new guys coming in. Really not much of an interview in terms of specifics about the team or what he expects for the coming year. A little humor about him talking to his dad about the interview. His dad told him to watch the Rome show. So he did - then called dad and said -hey that isn't going to sound that good to fans.....Dad says that stuff got cut out.

Well Rhome is a total D-bag, if that makes any difference.

Coach Pitino said nothing of note about the Gophers next season or recruiting. Grimm really focused the interview on other topics like the fight, the Kentucky Derby, Pitino booing his sons missed layup, and Rick's interview with Rome. I really enjoyed listening to Pitino, he comes across to me as smart, funny, and engaging. What is too bad is that it's hard for me to believe him when he speaks on how much he likes it at Minnesota and wants to build something here. He had a very nice response to his dad's interview with Rome, but I was still skeptical. If I am skeptical, I can't imagine the reaction of the portion of the fan base that believes nearly every high major job is better than the U of M. I guess I am kind of at that point with Coach Pitino where I hear what he says, but I'll trust what he does.

I guess I am kind of at that point with Coach Pitino where I hear what he says, but I'll trust what he does.

Nothing wrong with that. It's probably the best approach when talking about any coach.

Coach Pitino said nothing of note about the Gophers next season or recruiting. Grimm really focused the interview on other topics like the fight, the Kentucky Derby, Pitino booing his sons missed layup, and Rick's interview with Rome. I really enjoyed listening to Pitino, he comes across to me as smart, funny, and engaging. What is too bad is that it's hard for me to believe him when he speaks on how much he likes it at Minnesota and wants to build something here. He had a very nice response to his dad's interview with Rome, but I was still skeptical. If I am skeptical, I can't imagine the reaction of the portion of the fan base that believes nearly every high major job is better than the U of M. I guess I am kind of at that point with Coach Pitino where I hear what he says, but I'll trust what he does.

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't accept what he says at face value. I'm personally very fond of the Twin Cities and I think Pitino has a good chance of developing a competitive program here. I get concerned about the impact on recruiting when people suggest that he isn't committed to the program.

I guess I am kind of at that point with Coach Pitino where I hear what he says, but I'll trust what he does.

Then you should be very happy. Pitino is here, recruiting well and building a program. Everything else is noise if we are going to trust what he does.

I think you miss EG#9's point. 99% of coaches engage in "coach-speak" to some extent. I cover HS sports, and I deal with coaches who do the same thing - every player is a great kid who contributes to the team, blah, blah, blah. I've also dealt with coaches who say one think when the microphone is on, but off-the-record, will tell me things privately that completely contradict their public statements.

And, when you're dealing with D1 coaches, the ego thing factors in as well. Then, you add in the factor of Pitino having a famous coaching dad, and it's no wonder the guy comes off the way he does.

In the end, it all comes down to results. Win games, and nobody will care what Pitino says. On the other hand, lose games, and nobody will care what he says, either.

I think you miss EG#9's point. 99% of coaches engage in "coach-speak" to some extent. I cover HS sports, and I deal with coaches who do the same thing - every player is a great kid who contributes to the team, blah, blah, blah. I've also dealt with coaches who say one think when the microphone is on, but off-the-record, will tell me things privately that completely contradict their public statements.

And, when you're dealing with D1 coaches, the ego thing factors in as well. Then, you add in the factor of Pitino having a famous coaching dad, and it's no wonder the guy comes off the way he does.

In the end, it all comes down to results. Win games, and nobody will care what Pitino says. On the other hand, lose games, and nobody will care what he says, either.

I think whether it's "coach speak" or not, is irrelevant. Pitino's insistence that that he is happy here is credible, and calling it coach speak serves no purpose other than to discourage prospective recruits. I agree that the acid test is results, but positive results require success in recruiting.

The truth hurts sometimes.

I don't get this statement at all. Minnesota is a good job. The idea that a job like Alabama is better or even as good as Minnesota is absurd. This is basketball we're talking about, not football. How soon we forget the head coach of freakin' Kentucky left Lexington to come to Minneapolis very recently. The high school talent in MN alone makes this a good job. Minnesota basketball is a sleeping giant, and there's no excuse for the way this program has underperformed and underachieved all these years.

It's funny how you always claim these jobs are better than MN, yet we seem to never lose our coach to another school, do we? Clem? Fired. Monson? Fired. Tubby? Fired. If MN is worse than the majority of power 5 jobs like you claim, then why didn't Tubby leave for Oregon? Or Auburn? Or LSU? It's because Minnesota is better than a lot of jobs out there. Tubby knew it, and Pitino knows it.

I don't get this statement at all. Minnesota is a good job. The idea that a job like Alabama is better or even as good as Minnesota is absurd. This is basketball we're talking about, not football. How soon we forget the head coach of freakin' Kentucky left Lexington to come to Minneapolis very recently. The high school talent in MN alone makes this a good job. Minnesota basketball is a sleeping giant, and there's no excuse for the way this program has underperformed and underachieved all these years.

It's funny how you always claim these jobs are better than MN, yet we seem to never lose our coach to another school, do we? Clem? Fired. Monson? Fired. Tubby? Fired. If MN is worse than the majority of power 5 jobs like you claim, then why didn't Tubby leave for Oregon? Or Auburn? Or LSU? It's because Minnesota is better than a lot of jobs out there. Tubby knew it, and Pitino knows it.

The repeated firings list doesn't really support your claim that Minnesota is a good job...

I don't want to turn this into another 'why Minnesota is better than everywhere else' discussion, but come on! People are on here complaining about coach speak, but this is 100% fan speak. I'm not saying Minnesota has no hope, can't compete, or that we will never be good, but the sleeping giant idea really belittles how much effort, time, and circumstance go into creating a consistently successful program. I also really despise this 'no excuse' attitude. Watch the game and enjoy it for what it is. The program doesn't owe you an apology for a down year in what is obviously a long term culture shift. Try enjoying the ride instead of demanding respect and team success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The repeated firings list doesn't really support your claim that Minnesota is a good job...

I don't want to turn this into another 'why Minnesota is better than everywhere else' discussion, but come on! People are on here complaining about coach speak, but this is 100% fan speak. I'm not saying Minnesota has no hope, can't compete, or that we will never be good, but the sleeping giant idea really belittles how much effort, time, and circumstance go into creating a consistently successful program. I also really despise this 'no excuse' attitude. Watch the game and enjoy it for what it is. The program doesn't owe you an apology for a down year in what is obviously a long term culture shift. Try enjoying the ride instead of demanding respect and team success.

You misunderstood my post entirely. Of course the program doesn't owe me an apology. I meant my post to be a purely positive one in terms of what a good job Minnesota is and what I feel the potential of the program is. Nothing more.

You misunderstood my post entirely. Of course the program doesn't owe me an apology. I meant my post to be a purely positive one in terms of what a good job Minnesota is and what I feel the potential of the program is. Nothing more.

Fair enough. I'm sure my post came off extremely negative as well. And my sentiment wasn't exclusively aimed at your post. I embrace the 'why not us' campaign, but I get the sense that much of the fan base runs with that idea and become impatient with the current progress. Instead of 'why not us' it's 'why not us right now'. Maybe I'm putting words in people's mouths with that thought. Minnesota has nothing unique holding it back, but we have to build sustained success before the coaching job here is differentiated from any other power conf school. Maybe I'm more willing than most to gut out a few rough years before roster consistency and program direction is established.

The truth hurts sometimes.

That ends w the new facilities and the work by the AD can change this perception (of some) by keeping Kill and allowing RP time to build. A couple NCAA appearances and a few New Year's Eve bowls can change a lot.

Top Bottom