STrib: McNeil faces bench warrant for failing to appear on assault charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
New start: 1. show up for court. 2. Be found innocent or guilty. 3. Start a new life or do time and then start a new life.

New start: 1. show up for court. 2. Be found innocent or guilty. 3. Start a new life or do time and then start a new life.

And how can you say with certainty Pitino hasn't been trying to help him? How do you know that? Should Pitino physically track him down (maybe he can hire a PI) and then kidnap him against his will, and drag him by the ear to his court appearance? Is that Pitino's job here?

And how can you say with certainty Pitino hasn't been trying to help him? How do you know that? Should Pitino physically track him down (maybe he can hire a PI) and then kidnap him against his will, and drag him by the ear to his court appearance? Is that Pitino's job here?
All I said with certainty is imo Pitino failed in this situation. If he did all you suggest I'm sure it will be reported. Love to hear he tried hard. It still won't be a good situation at this point. I have no idea, maybe it was unavoidable. I don't know McNeil but Pitino does.

A dude has to want to be helped. That's universal.

All I said with certainty is imo Pitino failed in this situation.

1. How do you know this? Name one thing Pitino did or didn't do.

2. McNeil is an adult. No matter what Pitino did or didn't do, McNeil has no obligation to listen to him.

3. Who secured the lawyer?

1. Get McNeil to court.
2. I agree McNeil has no obligation to listen to Pitino. That's not my argument. Pitino needs to use his charm and persusian abilities to make him listen because he needs guidance.
3. Dunno on the first. There wasn't one in court when the warrant was issued.

1. Get McNeil to court.
2. I agree McNeil has no obligation to listen to Pitino. That's not my argument. Pitino needs to use his charm and persusian abilities to make him listen because he needs guidance.
3. Dunno on the first. There wasn't one in court when the warrant was issued.

1. Is he to physically drag him there? Kidnap him?

2. And if he tried everything in his arsenal?

3. Is this because he couldn't find McNeil?

What did you do to help McNeil? You seem very concerned now. Where were you earlier?

All I said with certainty is imo Pitino failed in this situation. If he did all you suggest I'm sure it will be reported. Love to hear he tried hard. It still won't be a good situation at this point. I have no idea, maybe it was unavoidable. I don't know McNeil but Pitino does.

So, we don't have any facts regarding what Pitino did or not do with McNeil, and the only thing we know for sure is that Pitino failed?

1. Build trust so he will listen.
2. Then, as I said he failed.
3. Could be? That's part of 1 & 2

Just to be clear again. I'm not perfect. And not claiming to be.
These are just my opinions. They differ from most everyone else.
I'm fine with that but I'm out for now.
And yes, I trusted Pitino to handle this and I am disappointed.
If there is a next time I will try to be more pro active but
I'm not a bounty hunter. Thanks for noticing my concern.

1. Build trust so he will listen.
2. Then, as I said he failed.
3. Could be? That's part of 1 & 2

Just to be clear again. I'm not perfect. And not claiming to be.
These are just my opinions. They differ from most everyone else.
I'm fine with that but I'm out for now.
And yes, I trusted Pitino to handle this and I am disappointed.
If there is a next time I will try to be more pro active but
I'm not a bounty hunter.
Thanks for noticing my concern.

But Pitino is.....I saw it in his job description.

All I [1] said with certainty is imo Pitino failed in this situation. If he did all you suggest [2] I'm sure it will be reported. Love to hear he tried hard. It still won't be a good situation at this point. [3]I have no idea, maybe it was unavoidable. [4]I don't know McNeil but Pitino does.

There is so much wrong with this....

1. You can't be certain about an opinion that is based on a guess.
2. Why on earth would the inner workings of what Pitino did or didn't do ever be reported?
3. If you have no idea, then don't say things with certainty. See #1.
4. Just leave it at this next time.

Maybe a better way to phrase this: how much support does a school owe to a player who gets in trouble? I suppose each case is different, depending on the player's personal and financial situation. Some schools are pretty quick to wash their hands of players who get in trouble, because they don't want to be seen as supporting a law-breaker. Other schools will come out with a statement of support, and invoke the old "let the legal process play out" approach.

I hate to say it, but sometimes it seems as though the school's level of support is contingent on the player's ability. Teams will try harder to support a star player, as opposed to a bench player.

What did you do to help McNeil? You seem very concerned now. Where were you earlier?

What a lame response. Did 60's Guy recruit McNeil and make promises to McNeil and his guardians? NO!!! Pitino did

What a lame response. Did 60's Guy recruit McNeil and make promises to McNeil and his guardians? NO!!! Pitino did

What????

What promise did he make? I agree. Lame post by Jake. But exactly what promise did lil P make that implies responsibility in this situation?

Short angrys questions is far more relevant than this mindless drivel and blame casting.

What did Pitino promise him?

The fact is 60's Guy has no idea if Pitino visited McNeil in jail. Has no idea if Pitino called McNeil while he was in jail or prior to his disappearance. Has no idea how a Twin Cities lawyer with 33 years of experience became McNeil's lawyer. Has no idea if Pitino reached out to his guardians in Baltimore in attempts to reach him.

Summation: 60's Guy has no idea, but at least he's certain about that.

What does that even mean? These are adults that come into the program, not sixth graders going off to summer camp.

Pitino is a basketball coach and (in some cases perhaps) a role model for some of the players. But he isn't obligated to be a father figure to every player that comes into his program. In my mind, if he has any culpability at all, it would be that he brought this individual into the program in the first place. I can't fault him for what he has or has not done since McNeil was arrested.

Regarding 60's guys comments earlier.....I think we need to stop using a person's circumstances to (in any way) explain away this type of behavior. That's too convenient for me. McNeil was smart enough to know what he allegedly did was criminal.

60's guy has managed to turn this into a stupid discussion. Lots of people here care about McNeil. I care, but his no show doesn't surprise me.

The short ornery norske heads this in the right direction.
There is no way that Pitino would be able to do what 60's and now Burton seem to expect. I'm a licensed social worker with an advanced degree and I can guarantee you that Pitino has neither the time or the skills to do this.

The bigger and more salient issue, as stated previously, is not about Pitino. What responsibility do the schools have towards the challenged kids that they have a relationship with that has very tangible benefits to the universities? Less tangible immediate benefits to the athletes. Jalen Rose talked about the Fab Five days and how they didn't have gas money, yet saw their jerseys for sale on campus for more money than they could afford.

Without signifiant connections here, McNeil is probably back in Baltimore hoping this will all go away. And it may seem to him like it has. What is more likely than the lack of concern from Pitino being a problem, is that he isn't confident he'll get a fair trial, or he's afraid of being convicted. If a person is disconnected, off the grid, with no hope, running solves the problem. For a while. This is all very sad.

I agree. I'm sure Richard promised McNeil's guardians that if Daquan should happen to whip a woman with a belt and get arrested he would have his back. To turn the other way is preposterous. Sigh

This thread is ridiculous. All Pitino could do is keep in touch with him, which he may well have done. So how has he 'failed'? And if he did anything beyond that (like paying for his lawyer or finding him a job) it would be an NCAA violation.

You know you are a blatant Pitino-hater when you blame him for McNeil's idiocy. It is not Pitino's job to be a father figure to a player who is no longer on the team, much less one who also voluntarily dropped out of school (and is probably living outside of the state). Blame Pitino all you want for recruiting the kid, but McNeil has to be held accountable for his own mistakes. Even if Pitino did tell him he should go, I'd bet a lot of money McNeil would have still fled. He obviously isn't too bright of a dude.

The double standard is pretty interesting. The previous coach was taken to task every time one of his players stole something, smoked weed, acted like an idiot, etc. Now one of the current coach's players commits a serious assault (a felony, as I recall) and the current coach is entirely blameless in the situation. It's very interesting.

The double standard is pretty interesting. The previous coach was taken to task every time one of his players stole something, smoked weed, acted like an idiot, etc. Now one of the current coach's players commits a serious assault (a felony, as I recall) and the current coach is entirely blameless in the situation. It's very interesting.
Now I understand why people dislike you. There is no double standard here at all. Both coaches are 'blamed'. And now both coaches are looking at players with criminal/felony charges. Perhaps your memory is failing you.

Find one post that says Pitino is blameless in the same context in which people blamed Tubby for his players problems. No one blamed Tubby for not making Royce White a better kid, at least not that I can remember.

The outrage here is the idiocy from 60s guy and now Burton as to whether Pitino had a responsibility in the rebuilding of this kids life. Not whether or not Pitino is to blame for bringing a troubled kid to the University of Minnesota. Pitino is absolutely not free of blame for having 2 kids essentially kicked off the program, another transfer in one and a half years of employment. If that continues I would almost guarantee his ass is dragged through the mud on this board and elsewhere.

What is more likely than the lack of concern from Pitino being a problem, is that he isn't confident he'll get a fair trial, or he's afraid of being convicted. If a person is disconnected, off the grid, with no hope, running solves the problem. For a while. This is all very sad.

Good post until this stupid comment, unless I missed something where McNeil was quoted for saying he couldn't get a fair trial here or he requested that the trial be moved from Minnesota. I'll stand corrected if I missed something

Now I understand why people dislike you. There is no double standard here at all. Both coaches are 'blamed'. And now both coaches are looking at players with criminal/felony charges. Perhaps your memory is failing you.

A bunch of people on an obscure message board, who I don't know and will never meet, dislike me? How will I go on? This is it! Goodbye, cruel world!

Now that addressing your infantile personal attacks is out of the way, perhaps your memory is the one that is failing. While the previous coach was here, tons of virtual ink were spilled on how much culpability he held for his players' legal issues. The only question was whether it was all or just most of it. Now, with even worse transgressions under the current coach, all we get from the overwhelming majority are rationalizations. And, further, those who want to implicate Pitino even just a little are shouted down by the groupthink consensus.

Personally, I think blaming coaches for their players' actions is generally pretty stupid. I'm just curious as to why it was open season on the previous coach and the current coach gets a free pass.

I know my memory is failing me.

So I would ask -- Royce White had a number of issues before he got to the University. Did McNeil have a bunch of issues prior to his transfer to the University? To me, that is a huge distinction. I'd rather not take a "criminal risk" into the program. I'll hold coaches responsible for that (Pitino/Tubby/whomever).

dpol -- not intended to be a shot at your guy Tubby. This was a Tubby free thread until you brought him into the conversation.

dp -- not intended to be a shot at your guy Tubby. This was a Tubby free thread until you brought him into the conversation.

That's true, and I almost never bring it up until someone else does first. I thought it was warranted this time, given the vast disparity in treatment.

He deserves and gets plenty of blame for the recruiting failure, the same as with Josh Martin and Lofton. But the idea that he somehow 'failed' McNeil personally is ridiculous, and would be the same if it was Tubby or any coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom