STrib: McNeil faces bench warrant for failing to appear on assault charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of former Minnesota Gophers basketball player Daquein McNeil, who faces two felony charges for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend last November.

McNeil, a 21-year-old Baltimore native, failed to appear in Hennepin County District Court for a scheduled hearing last week, so Judge Todd Barnette issued a warrant for his arrest.

McNeil’s whereabouts were unknown, and no defense lawyer was listed for his case in court documents. Initially, F. Clayton Tyler represented McNeil, but he has since withdrawn from the case and said he doesn’t know where he is.

http://www.startribune.com/local/302670941.html

Go Gophers!!

Oh geez. This is just turning worse and worse. Hopefully he turns himself in and can get some help here. Yikes.

My speculation, but when Defense lawyer drops, fee not fully paid and or client has fled the jurisdiction. So sad, let's hope someone can help the victim and the downwards spiraling accused.

He needs that infamous Baltimore mom to slap some sense into him too.

Coach Pitino

QFT

Good riddence.

I have no idea if Richard was trying to support McNeil through his troubles. But he should have been and he failed if he was. He recruited this kid. He knows his family situation and background. Not showing up, not having representation does not reflect well on Coach Pitino. Whatever the rules are, Pitino needed somebody to take care of McNeil. You can't sit in living rooms and tell mom you'll take care of their son and disappear when trouble comes.

I have no idea if Richard was trying to support McNeil through his troubles. But he should have been and he failed if he was. He recruited this kid. He knows his family situation and background. Not showing up, not having representation does not reflect well on Coach Pitino. Whatever the rules are, Pitino needed somebody to take care of McNeil. You can't sit in living rooms and tell mom you'll take care of their son and disappear when trouble comes.
Maybe you need to take a deep breath, 60s.

That is a total b.s. comment

He hasn't been on the team since December. What exactly did you want him to do?

Either way, sad story for all involved.

LOL.

+1

Zero to do with Pitino.

And this post does not reflect well on you. Easy to criticize the situation when you know nothing of what has transpired behind the scenes. But that's cool. You don't like Coach Pitino, so instead of criticizing his coaching, you basically imply that he's a terrible human being.

+1

Responsibility doesn't end with usefulness.

That's not to say that Coach didn't try to help and was blown off. McNeil may very well be living back home already.

The only failure on RP would be if he left him dangling and I would tend to doubt that.

Can't support a woman beater. Let me guess do you think belli check should have supported Aaron Hernandez. Pitino jaters are looking for anythin yourecso desperate you wanna support McNeill actions. For shame

Can't support a woman beater. Let me guess do you think belli check should have supported Aaron Hernandez. Pitino jaters are looking for anythin yourecso desperate you wanna support McNeill actions. For shame

+1k

Wow.

There are leaps...... and then there are LEAPS!

Did Pitino adopt McNeil? Or did he help him get a free ride to a B1G 10 University to play Division 1 Basketball?

My lord....

Should Pappa Pitino support Chris Jones?

McNeil was Pitino's very first recruit to the University of Minnesota; McNeil followed him from FIU. That leads me to believe Pitino cares enough to at least check in on McNeil (provided he knows where he is) to see how he's doing. But beyond that, I'm not sure what else people would expect Pitino to do.

McNeil was Pitino's very first recruit to the University of Minnesota; McNeil followed him from FIU. That leads me to believe Pitino cares enough to at least check in on McNeil (provided he knows where he is) to see how he's doing. But beyond that, I'm not sure what else people would expect Pitino to do.

And NONE of us know if he did that.

And NONE of us know if he did that.
And NONE of us know if he did or did not do that. And none of us know if McNeil is/was even open to staying in touch.
There's almost an infinite of options of what we don't know.

Agreed. Pitino actually promised McNeil a spot at MN as soon as he took the job. My GUESS is that that is partially why he didn't make significant efforts to retain Foster and Ellis. I think Pitino absolutely cared about McNeil's well being and wouldn't doubt he did SOMETHING to try and help him outside of basketball here.

And this post does not reflect well on you. Easy to criticize the situation when you know nothing of what has transpired behind the scenes. But that's cool. You don't like Coach Pitino, so instead of criticizing his coaching, you basically imply that he's a terrible human being.

Agree. It's best not to assume what's happening or not happening behind the scenes. It's possible Richard has done everything he can within his reach. It's also possible that, if he'd continued to be actively involved with helping this kid, he himself would be criticized for helping him.

We Know a Lot Actually

And NONE of us know if he did or did not do that. And none of us know if McNeil is/was even open to staying in touch.
There's almost an infinite of options of what we don't know.

We know Most of you have expressed you are going to abandon McNeil and not give it another thought.
He's a kid.
He's a thousand miles from where he grew up.
He had very little family support growing up.
He made a mistake.
If not Minnesota basketball, who is going guide McNeil through this?
That's all he has/had in life. It really doesn't take too much thought to realize without
a mentor he will be in this preventable situation. (Greater trouble) His only possible mentor is Minnesota basketball.
We know he didn't have representation in court. Not having representation certainly suggests he was abandoned.
I believe in this situation the school or the coach has a responsibility to help. They
got him to Minnesota.
If he was your son, would you ignore him? Gopher basketball was his family.
Totally aware he made a mistake and let his teammates down, allegedly did bad things. To me that doesn't change my responsibility to look after him and try to get him a new start. Do the right thing. All just my differing opinion from you guys.
Just not how I'd do it if it was my player.

We know Most of you have expressed you are going to abandon McNeil and not give it another thought.
He's a kid.
He made a mistake.
That's all he has/had in life. It really doesn't take too much thought to realize without
a mentor he will be in this preventable situation. (Greater trouble) His only possible mentor is Minnesota basketball.
We know he didn't have representation in court. Not having representation certainly suggests he was abandoned.
I believe in this situation the school or the coach has a responsibility to help. They
got him to Minnesota.
Totally aware he made a mistake and let his teammates down, allegedly did bad things. To me that doesn't change my responsibility to look after him and try to get him a new start. Do the right thing. All just my differing opinion from you guys.

If you are going to give several sentences to describe the struggles and obstacles McNeil faces, it seems fair to also give more than four words ("he made a mistake") to describe what he is accused of doing (forcibly removing a woman's clothes before pouring cold water on her, pulling her out of bed, pressed her against the wall and strangled her, and finally leaving welts and bruises all over her body by whipping her with a wet towel and leather belt). When you actually read the accusations, "made a mistake" doesn't really seem to do it justice. Obviously, nothing has been proved yet, so either he is innocent or he has committed a depraved act of cruelty.

got him to Minnesota.

A new start? How 'bout we resolve those two pesky felony charges before we find an internship for him.

He's not sitting in his apartment waiting for a call from Pitino.

HE DISAPPEARED!

He had representation! His lawyer quit when his client disappeared! He didn't have representation for the court hearing he never showed up for because no one knew where the hell he was. He was released from jail and never had to check in with anybody.

F. Clayton Tyler was his lawyer....33 years of experience...not some public defender either.

He's a kid.
He made a mistake.
got him to Minnesota.

Bleh....

So much wrong with this post. And don't construe that as me saying McNeil doesn't deserve another chance or that he is a terrible person. Also don't construe that comment as me saying he isn't a terrible person for what he did.

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! Neither do you. We should all proceed with those two FACTS as the only things we know and present our OPINIONS in such a fashion.

forcibly removing a woman's clothes before pouring cold water on her, pulling her out of bed, pressed her against the wall and strangled her, and finally leaving welts and bruises all over her body by whipping her with a wet towel and leather belt

He's a kid.

Great excuses, really sums up why he beat this woman's ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom