Sid: Teague insists U will break ground on new facillities this fall

What effing rules? Difficult projects all have twists and turns.

Anyone who has led a project of even minimal complexity knows this. Well said.

Exactly. If you have ever done a 4 month home renovation, you know that things change constantly. What you or your spouse want changes, your needs may change. Costs then change. And that is on just a home renovation project with two people having a say. Now take a project 1000 times more complicated and expensive with multiple stake holders wanting different things. If you can't understand how and why plans and costs change during a huge project like this, then you don't have a clue and shouldn't be complaining about it. Simple as that

My question would be why is this a concern to some? Are those that are concerned directly involved in the project? If not directly involved why so bothered by the process?

This is the U's plan. Unless they are asking for taxpayer dollars which I don't believe they have this notion of concern or the idea they need to share their plan is based on what?

With all due respect, this is Gopher Hole. We can have 10-page threads arguing about whether the QB throws a tight spiral. Now, we are talking about a major project that will have a significant impact on the future of the FB and Basketball programs, including a significant impact on recruiting - and we're not supposed to discuss it, ask questions or raise concerns? We're not allowed to express opinions about Norwood Teague's performance as AD - which does include fundraising? So, what the bleep are we allowed to discuss on this board? Hey, I know - let's have another thread comparing Tim Brewster and Glen Mason...................

Exactly. If you have ever done a 4 month home renovation, you know that things change constantly. What you or your spouse want changes, your needs may change. Costs then change. And that is on just a home renovation project with two people having a say. Now take a project 1000 times more complicated and expensive with multiple stake holders wanting different things. If you can't understand how and why plans and costs change during a huge project like this, then you don't have a clue and shouldn't be complaining about it. Simple as that

The wife and I were doing some work on the house one time but couldn't agree on a couple of minor things for the mancave. It took a little while but eventually we compromised thanks in large part to her slapping me a title ix violation.
image.jpg
I think it turned out okay.

The utilization of the words "changing the rules" is the proliferation of Gopher Warriors gobbily gook around here.

With all due respect, this is Gopher Hole. We can have 10-page threads arguing about whether the QB throws a tight spiral. Now, we are talking about a major project that will have a significant impact on the future of the FB and Basketball programs, including a significant impact on recruiting - and we're not supposed to discuss it, ask questions or raise concerns? We're not allowed to express opinions about Norwood Teague's performance as AD - which does include fundraising? So, what the bleep are we allowed to discuss on this board? Hey, I know - let's have another thread comparing Tim Brewster and Glen Mason...................

Again what is there to be concerned about? Let the U and the AD do their jobs and if in the end the project goes nowhere it would be time for legitimate concerns. This I want transparency need to know all the details and I am mad because the AD won't tell me everything means something isn't right is ridiculous.

Again what is there to be concerned about? Let the U and the AD do their jobs and if in the end the project goes nowhere it would be time for legitimate concerns. This I want transparency need to know all the details and I am mad because the AD won't tell me everything means something isn't right is ridiculous.

Love that sentence.

If the Regents agree at the June meeting that this financing plan will work, then there will be a groundbreaking in August. A chance to see Goldy in an oversized hardhat!!!!

The facilities won't be 100% paid with private donations. Those were the rules. They have & will continue to change.

No matter how transparent something is, you can't see it with your head up your butt

To those wanting release of fund raising information, take a lesson from the Phillip Nelson situation at South Alabama, PN's father tweeted out that he would be going to South Alabama before everything was finalized, now USA has reversed it's self and Phillip Nelson is not going to USA.

The facilities won't be 100% paid with private donations. Those were the rules. They have & will continue to change.

Nope. There is a difference between "privately funded" and private donations. Teague said they were looking at all funding opportunities.

The very fact we are even talking about possibly breaking ground on a 140 million dollar facility this quickly is astounding. Who would have imagined 2 years ago this was a real possibility? Kudos to Teague and the AD.

Teague also has a smoking hot girlfriend nearly half his age, so I'm obviously a big fan.

Yes, but: I could take that same approach to every issue raised on this board: Who is going to start at QB? Let the Coach do his job - we don't need to know all the details.

Who are some of the major recruiting targets? Let the coach do his job- we don't need to know all the details.

Is Pitino a candidate for the Florida job? Let the AD do his job - we don't need to know all the details.

Admittedly, I'm being a little sarcastic here, but I'm trying to make a point. If we took your approach to every issue ("we don't need to know the details"), there would be no reason for this board to exist.

Discussion - debate - opinions - disagreements: that is why I come to this board. Apparently, I'm not allowed to disagree with you. To quote my grandmother: "Who died and made you King S**t on Turd Mountain?"

Well, lets look at one example. VCU raised ~ 14 million or so for a 60,000 sq ft practice facility. After Teague left in 2011 the new AD determined that oops, we need a second court to comply with Title IX. Price goes to 25 million. Since they had pledged no state money they took it from the student fees. Roughly $10M or so. The students are the path of least resistance. Don't you wonder where the shortfall will come from?

Remember, the coaches salaries will rise rapidly, stipends, family travel costs, etc. all going up.

My questions regard the exorbitant price tag for the educational center, the basketball facility, and a glorified field house. Where are the 190 then 150m numbers coming from? They deleted 40M from the original plan, over the equivalency of a VCU practice facility, without materially affecting the overall functionality. It bothers nobody that we could possibly build five VCU 60,000 sq ft facilities for 150M?

There is a strange dichotomy oftentimes. Normally conservative people are fervently for flagrantly wasteful programs such as military spending without stopping to think if there are more efficient ways. Normally liberal people defend philosophies such as Islam despite its fundamental opposition to western freedoms.

I don't get it. Carry on.

Well, lets look at one example. VCU raised ~ 14 million or so for a 60,000 sq ft practice facility. After Teague left in 2011 the new AD determined that oops, we need a second court to comply with Title IX. Price goes to 25 million. Since they had pledged no state money they took it from the student fees. Roughly $10M or so. The students are the path of least resistance. Don't you wonder where the shortfall will come from?

Remember, the coaches salaries will rise rapidly, stipends, family travel costs, etc. all going up.

My questions regard the exorbitant price tag for the educational center, the basketball facility, and a glorified field house. Where are the 190 then 150m numbers coming from? They deleted 40M from the original plan, over the equivalency of a VCU practice facility, without materially affecting the overall functionality. It bothers nobody that we could possibly build five VCU 60,000 sq ft facilities for 150M?

There is a strange dichotomy oftentimes. Normally conservative people are fervently for flagrantly wasteful programs such as military spending without stopping to think if there are more efficient ways. Normally liberal people defend philosophies such as Islam despite its fundamental apposition to western freedoms.

I don't get it. Carry on.

190 is still the overall plan but the football, basketball and academic center which is the primary objective is 150. The next 40 which can be added later is for the installment of underground parking and renovation for the current Bierman building including new gymnastics and wrestling facilities as well as renovation of the current indoor field for softball and other sports.

Yes, but: I could take that same approach to every issue raised on this board: Who is going to start at QB? Let the Coach do his job - we don't need to know all the details.

Who are some of the major recruiting targets? Let the coach do his job- we don't need to know all the details.

Is Pitino a candidate for the Florida job? Let the AD do his job - we don't need to know all the details.

Admittedly, I'm being a little sarcastic here, but I'm trying to make a point. If we took your approach to every issue ("we don't need to know the details"), there would be no reason for this board to exist.

Discussion - debate - opinions - disagreements: that is why I come to this board. Apparently, I'm not allowed to disagree with you. To quote my grandmother: "Who died and made you King S**t on Turd Mountain?"

You're right. Whatever your concerns are you should be concerned. You should be very concerned.

190 is still the overall plan but the football, basketball and academic center which is the primary objective is 150. The next 40 which can be added later is for the installment of underground parking and renovation for the current Bierman building including new gymnastics and wrestling facilities as well as renovation of the current indoor field for softball and other sports.

Thanks for correcting me.

Um, nobody is stopping you from disagreeing. He simply thinks your questioning at this time is ridiculous. He's not allowed to state that? To quote your grandmother ... never mind.

We all want better facilities. What's wrong with asking questions about the details and where the money is or will be coming from. There is nothing wrong with athletics borrowing from the university but the money eventually needs to be paid back. What's wrong with having an eye on the bottom line?

The athletics budget has rarely been in the black in recent history. It's true that revenue will increase for BTN, bowl, March madness, teague scholarship seating but the costs will rise in lockstep. These facilities have operating and staffing costs. As I have stated coaching costs and athlete/recruit costs will rise. Those costs are wildly unpredictable at this time. As Maturi intimated on his way out the door we are far closer to "pro" sports and the associated costs than most imagine.

The athletics budget is pushing 100M, maybe surpassing that. I believe BTN payouts are currently in the mid 20m range and will rise into the mid 30 to low 40M range over the next several years. Will the scholarship seating plan raise revenue. Maybe. I don't know though, that there will be much left over to pay debt service on a 100M facilities shortfall. Lets hope Teague works his magic with donations.

Nope. There is a difference between "privately funded" and private donations. Teague said they were looking at all funding opportunities.

Teague also has a smoking hot girlfriend nearly half his age, so I'm obviously a big fan.

Yep. Again, the rules are being changed because the plan as initially stated was silly & was not going to work. Nonetheless, "private donations" has been terminology frequently used. For example, "
Funded entirely by private donations to the athletics department"...
Link

You're simply wrong.
Ps- remember, he's not a very old guy. Just looks old for his age

I can understand that some are concerned with a fundraising "plan" that feels more like a set of ideas about what might work. That being said, Gopher Warrior's use of the word "rules" seems out of place here. I don't recall ever hearing or seeing Teague quoted as saying that the entire project would be funded "entirely by private donations BEFORE BREAKING GROUND", or even "...BEFORE THE FACILITIES ARE COMPLETED". My understanding was that the project as laid out would be paid for over five years. Under that scenario Teague and the athletic department have some time to identify and secure private donations to cover any monies borrowed to get the project completed. As long as that happens, then I would argue that the "rules" didn't change.

In fact, the link that was provided states "Private donations are funding our Nothing Short of Greatness campaign. We have made great progress toward our ultimate goal of $190 million so far, raising $70 million in less than one year. Each gift we receive brings us closer to the amount we need to officially break ground and begin construction on the project." Using that quote as a guideline, I'm feeling comfortable with having $70M currently raised, and multiple years left to raise the remaining dollars to either cover the costs outright, or to repay any loans that have been secured.

Yep. Again, the rules are being changed because the plan as initially stated was silly & was not going to work. Nonetheless, "private donations" has been terminology frequently used. For example, "
Funded entirely by private donations to the athletics department"...
Link

Maybe Wells Fargo could sponsor a building. Bankers row!

Top Bottom