Prediction on next Gopher OL to be drafted??

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
A lot of people believe you win in the trenches and OL is one of the most important positions. I see our rivals to the south and east having offensive linemen drafted. I can't believe how long its been for us. We've seen coach Kill upgrade the talent all over the field and we're starting to see the results as more guys getting drafted and getting looks. I'm definitely not a NFL talent evaluator, so wondering your thoughts on which O linemen have a shot at getting drafted and who will be our next OL drafted?

I think Jon Christenson if he's fully recovered but he would need to gain 15 pounds.

I agree with husker70, Josh Campion seems like a certainty to be drafted, big guy with position flexibility.

As an aside to this discussion I think Caleb Bak would have been drafted this year had he been able to play last year. To bad his career ended due to ongoing concussions, wish him the best in the future.
I would tend to agree that Capmion will be drafted, just hope they don't look at his age being a negative.

Pirsig needs to work hard in the weight room. He needs to be able to do 30 reps at 225 ala the draft. I would also like to see him build his lower body. His goal is to become stronger, he already has great feet.

Pirsig needs to work hard in the weight room. He needs to be able to do 30 reps at 225 ala the draft. I would also like to see him build his lower body. His goal is to become stronger, he already has great feet.

30 reps is doubtful. Wisconsin's RT Rob Havenstein who is 6-8, a little over 320 and a 5th year senior only did 16. Still, he was a third round pick.

The ninth pick by the Giants was Ereck Flowers from Miami. He benched 225, 37 times.
49th pick Mitch Morse of Mizzou did 36 reps.

Havenstien will find he needs more power in his game to prevail in the NFL.

The ninth pick by the Giants was Ereck Flowers from Miami. He benched 225, 37 times.

Pirsig is 3 inches taller than Flowers, 4 inches taller than Morse. Much harder for those tall, long OTs to bench. He isn't naturally strong or bulky and it takes time for guys like that to develop strength.

The Bears drafted Hroniss Grasu from Oregon who I think is the same age as Campion. Also long arms are a dis advantage when it comes to the bench press.

You should listen to John Sullivan on Barreiro this past week. Bench press isn't everything.

There will be several over the next 2-5 years. I'm excited for this incoming class. There might be 3 NFL O lineman on their way.

There will be several over the next 2-5 years. I'm excited for this incoming class. There might be 3 NFL O lineman on their way.

True this, and others already ahead of them! If you were a running back, Minnesota would have to be near the top of you list.

The last I heard Christenson had a great GPA and was going to med school. I don't believe any one besides Campion could get drafted this year without having an unbelievable performance improvement. Bjorklund has to stay healthy long enough to get stronger, same with Pirsig.

The Bears drafted Hroniss Grasu from Oregon who I think is the same age as Campion. Also long arms are a dis advantage when it comes to the bench press.

You should listen to John Sullivan on Barreiro this past week. Bench press isn't everything.

Longer arms are absolutely a disadvantage when it comes to the bench press. However....they provide extra leverage....which is important as a lineman.

Some thoughts...

- Campion will be the next one drafted imo. Whoever said "size & position flexibility" nailed it I think.
- Also agree with the poster who said Caleb Bak would have been.
- I love Pirsig's potential, but he's really done nothing on the field that screams NFL yet. He has the size of course, was a 4*, had the OSU offer & did get better last year as he got healthier, but if he was a 2* coming out of HS people wouldn't be this high on him. Time to play up to his potential. Bench press is not the only thing that matters of course, but it sure doesn't hurt. Moreso for interior linemen though. Someone mentioned the leverage that longer arms gives you, and it also creates distance or separation which is crucial for a Tackle trying to stop a pass rusher.
- Don't forget about Ben Lauer. He'll be a 4 year starter at LT when he leaves. He was hobbled with one of those high ankle sprains that never heal last season, but was All-B1G Freshman squad a couple years back and has NFL size.

Don't forget about Ben Lauer. He'll be a 4 year starter at LT when he leaves. He was hobbled with one of those high ankle sprains that never heal last season, but was All-B1G Freshman squad a couple years back and has NFL size.
Even better, he was a Freshman All-American.

Some thoughts...

- Campion will be the next one drafted imo. Whoever said "size & position flexibility" nailed it I think.
- Also agree with the poster who said Caleb Bak would have been.
- I love Pirsig's potential, but he's really done nothing on the field that screams NFL yet. He has the size of course, was a 4*, had the OSU offer & did get better last year as he got healthier, but if he was a 2* coming out of HS people wouldn't be this high on him. Time to play up to his potential. Bench press is not the only thing that matters of course, but it sure doesn't hurt. Moreso for interior linemen though. Someone mentioned the leverage that longer arms gives you, and it also creates distance or separation which is crucial for a Tackle trying to stop a pass rusher.
- Don't forget about Ben Lauer. He'll be a 4 year starter at LT when he leaves. He was hobbled with one of those high ankle sprains that never heal last season, but was All-B1G Freshman squad a couple years back and has NFL size.

If Zach Epping didn't get signed at all then I don't think Bak would have been drafted.

This is sad...but I'm bumping this from 2015.

Any thoughts moving forward????

faelele has the size to get some sniffs, and if he develops he would be my bet. Dunlap probably gets a little overshadowed by faelele, but he will have a shot as well. Quinn sure seems like a lock if he does decide to stay home and can stay healthy.

faelele has the size to get some sniffs, and if he develops he would be my bet. Dunlap probably gets a little overshadowed by faelele, but he will have a shot as well. Quinn sure seems like a lock if he does decide to stay home and can stay healthy.

Donnell Greene is a sleeper. A strong senior season may generate some strong interest.

Faalele and Dunlap should get drafted and Andries might sniff an NFL roster as well...

It will take some time to build an OL to respectable level. Fleck has had two OL's drafted. Beavers (4th round) has been with four teams in 2 seasons and Moton was taken in 2nd round and was back-up for Carolina in his rookie season. I think Weyler and Greene both have a shot at late rounds.

Rivals analyst: "In three years we could be talking about him as a big, giant bust who just never did anything or we could be talking about him as a first round draft pick."

Says he believes Faalele has the highest ceiling of any 2018 recruit in the entire country including the #1 overall recruit, Trevor Philips.

I think Faalele could potentially get away with having nothing more than a very solid but not spectacular career similar to Pirsig and still be a late round pick due to size and athleticism alone. Kind of like what happened with Seantrel Henderson.

I think we should let the guys smell some playing time before saying they should get drafted. Size is there though. That's for sure.
4 star guys should get drafted. They still have to work and perform. But it's not off base to say that highly touted recruits should get drafted. There are a lot of rounds in the NFL draft.

4 star guys should get drafted. They still have to work and perform. But it's not off base to say that highly touted recruits should get drafted. There are a lot of rounds in the NFL draft.

There are 256 players drafted each year (making up roughly 3 classes).

There are 376 players rated 4 star and up in 2018 alone.

Top Bottom