All Things 2015-16 Big Ten Projections

Mason is solid- he needs to keep getting better, but I don't view him as an X factor other than assuming leadership. It's the other young guys and newcomers that need to surprise for the Gophers to move forward.

If Nate Mason is in his "scoring mode" because we have 2 other capable points (hopefully) he absolutely can be an x-Factor. Think of the West Coast All-Star game where he went off for 30+ and the bits and pieces last year where he looked like all he wanted to do was shoot and score. I honestly think last year he played quite reserved due to the fact he was asked to play point and Andre Hollins was filling the role in which Nate may be fitted to also fill.

x factor usually means not one of your top players but a player with the potential to have a big game at any time. They are usually inconsistent players.

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Caleb Swanigan decommitted from Michigan State, a source confirmed to Scout. 5-star big man.</p>— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/596407852098580482">May 7, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Caleb Swanigan decommitted from Michigan State, a source confirmed to Scout. 5-star big man.</p>— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/596407852098580482">May 7, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't change a whole lot IMO. They have a solid rotation of Costello and Schilling at the 5. Swanigan was just a bonus.

A top 10 recruit is never a bonus. From many accounts he is a bit like Sullinger from Ohio st, a tremendous low post scorer. Neither Costello nor Schilling are low post scorers. Michigan st will again be solid but this hurts them

A top 10 recruit is never a bonus. From many accounts he is a bit like Sullinger from Ohio st, a tremendous low post scorer. Neither Costello nor Schilling are low post scorers. Michigan st will again be solid but this hurts them

He was a bonus from the standpoint he was never expected to committ to Michigan State in the first place. Would he have helped them? Sure, but Michigan State already has one of the better center rotations in the league.

Getting Davis will give them one of their better classes of late, but having Swanigan also, would have given them one of Izo's best ever. Low post scorers are so rare in today's game, look how effective MO was for us in many games.

My Early Top 4 Big Ten Teams

I think these four might make up the top four at season's end:

Maryland
Purdue
Indiana
Michigan State

Top Bottom