Great Reusse column: Kill's vision paying dividends for Gophers

Those of you that refuse to 'click on' the Strib because of Reusse or Souhan; remember there a many other Strib employees that depend on the well being of the paper, many of them good people.

I'm still an online subscriber, but there are MANY more reasons than just Reusse or Souhan that I'm strongly considering canceling my subscription.

He's not the only one. It's easy to love your coach when the team exceeds expectations and the future looks bright. The real test comes when subpar seasons slide by. The media and the fanbase will turn quickly. And there have been folks involved with the team that have expressed that there is a part of Kill more interested in Kill. Most folks here will dismiss that and maybe its not a problem. No one is perfect after all.

The last part may be true but I would contend that most successful coaches have/need some of that ego. If it was a problem, I would think there would be a lot of turnover in his coaching staff. Obviously, that's not happening so his staff must believe in him and not see any self promotion/ego issues as a major problem. I'm all good with it. It's nice to be relevant again.

He's not the only one. It's easy to love your coach when the team exceeds expectations and the future looks bright. The real test comes when subpar seasons slide by. The media and the fanbase will turn quickly. And there have been folks involved with the team that have expressed that there is a part of Kill more interested in Kill. Most folks here will dismiss that and maybe its not a problem. No one is perfect after all.

I guess maybe we have different expectations about the media. I don't expect them to be a cheerleader for a program. When things are going well, I want them to give me analysis about why things are going well and what it will take for them to continue to do well. When things are going bad, I want them to criticize what is going bad and offer theories for what could change to make them better. I guess I don't consider the media criticizing the badness of a bad team to be "turning" on them. If I want the rosy picture, I'll read the press releases out of the athletic department. Or anything posted by GopherHomer (certainly don't want to sound like I am criticizing Homer, I respect and am quite jealous of his ability to see silver lining).

I guess maybe we have different expectations about the media. I don't expect them to be a cheerleader for a program. When things are going well, I want them to give me analysis about why things are going well and what it will take for them to continue to do well. When things are going bad, I want them to criticize what is going bad and offer theories for what could change to make them better. I guess I don't consider the media criticizing the badness of a bad team to be "turning" on them. If I want the rosy picture, I'll read the press releases out of the athletic department. Or anything posted by GopherHomer (certainly don't want to sound like I am criticizing Homer, I respect and am quite jealous of his ability to see silver lining).
100% agree. Not the media's job to prop up the program when the team isn't performing.

100% agree. Not the media's job to prop up the program when the team isn't performing.

I agree also, but it is their job to be informed enough to write their pieces, whether they are opinion pieces or from the beat writer.

Sadly...they lack quite a bit in that regard.

Thanks for the shout-out! I will have you know, though, that I often get criticized for being negative and people question whether "GopherHomer" is sarcastic. While I enjoyed this Reusse article I still think it contained some of his famous 'foreshadowing' for future negative columns. The way he describes our last two seasons as "OK" bothers me a little (would be true based on some elite program's rubric, I suppose). Because of the schedule, I think we are probably looking at a 6-9 win season in 2015...if Jerry's program slips at all Reusse will be quick to pounce based on his faint praise for historic seasons and his 'expectations' of more.

I would be all for a columnist that is purely driven by fact, but we all know that Reusse often has an agenda (not just with the Gophers...heck, it's part of his job). Maybe he's come around...but I have just been burned too often to trust him yet. I hope so, because he is the best columnist in town.

Columnists - by definition - provide opinions. Other than Sid and Shooter - who do the "notes" columns, virtually all other columnists are presenting opinions of one shade or another.

Certainly, every columnist is different - some tend to be more negative or cynical, but they have a right to express their opinion, and the readers are free to agree or disagree.

And, as a rule of thumb, columnists tend to create more clicks and generate more attention with columns that are perceived to be "negative." that's just the nature of the beast. Look at any newspaper on any given day, and the majority of the news coverage and editorial content is going to focus on what's wrong - or what's perceived to be wrong - as opposed to presenting "good news."

He was smart enough to figure out Brewster day 1 while most of us (myself included) drank all the kool aid we could find. Reusse calls a spade a spade. People don't like that he rips on Gopher football... well, there has been a lot to rip on the past 40+ years.

I mostly like Reusse, read his stuff and listen to him a bit on my drive home. He has mostly good instincts and he's a great story teller. However, he will not hesitate to call a spade a diamond if he thinks it will get him more laughs or clicks, and he does this several times per day. Gopher football has been an easy target, and that's on the U; Reusse goes out of his way to take advantage of it.

Columnists - by definition - provide opinions. Other than Sid and Shooter - who do the "notes" columns, virtually all other columnists are presenting opinions of one shade or another.

Sid can't even spell "objective". Everything he does has a slant. He will ask a player if the locker room is a happy place and the player might say yes and then Sid will write it as if the player had offered that opinion in the first place. A subtle slant to be sure, but it's just what he does with everything. He has a bias and he will go out of his way to prove that bias. He makes Brian Williams look like a journalist.

Now I read in Sid's column re Vern Gagne that he treats pro wrasslin' like it's for real.

And the names of these "folks?" More ego problems on GH than the coaching staff.

Top Bottom