Long CBS profile: College basketball's crossroads

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jon Solomon:

While some opinions vary and it's true that many factors get cited when trying to explain college basketball's slowdown, one overarching theme exists: Coaches. They limit possessions and use the lack of officiating calls against physical play to produce a slower, lower-scoring game.

"I think coaches are operating out of insecurity or job pressure," Kellogg said. "A number of teams play basketball that's fun to watch, but there aren't enough [of those] teams out there. They're so regimented and so robotic and so inept, it seems, at creating decent shots. It's like watching paint dry."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/feature/25159712/college-basketballs-crossroads

Go Gophers!!

I don't understand the obsession with scoring in sports. One of the best things about college basketball, in my opinion, is the variety of different styles that coaches try to implement. That doesn't always translate to both teams scoring 80 or 90 points. But that's ok. I don't want to see the college game look like the NBA. Should all levels of basketball try to mimic the NBA All-Star Game? Tons of scoring! Then to use college football's scoring as something to emulate. I can't stand the 63-49 games that often break out in college football. Be careful what you wish for is what I would say.

Agree.

I have some issues with the college game right now (mainly control-freak coaches ruining games), but this notion that games have to be high scoring to be entertaining is ridiculous. Who wants to see cookie-cutter teams and games? I sure don't.

Agree with the comparison to college football. Watching West Virginia put up 70 on Clemson in the Orange a couple of years ago was not entertaining at all to me.

Not a NBA fan. Do not like their brand of basketball. Yes there are problems with the college game but I hope it doesn't get to the point where the college games tries to be more like the NBA.

One of the things that was talked about was the officiating, especially the way from the ball clutching & grabbing of cutters. If they call just that, scoring will go up.

One of the things that was talked about was the officiating, especially the way from the ball clutching & grabbing of cutters. If they call just that, scoring will go up.

And the Sumo wrestling / low-grade Rugby in the lane. That's ugly basketball.

The death of college basketball has been greatly exaggerated.

The obvious issues do need addressing, but not for the sake of "scoring more points" instead for the sake of LOGIC.

Call fouls that are fouls.

Minimize unnecessary stoppage

Make rules that allow refs to have black and white situations as much as possible

Top Bottom