Q&A: Sam Schlueter On Committing to Gophers: Minnesota just felt like the right place

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Sam Schlueter On Committing to Gophers: Minnesota just felt like the right place

Q&A: Sam Schlueter On Committing to Gophers: "Minnesota just felt like the right place for me."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/507285?referrer_id=

Sam Schlueter, a 6-foot-6, 272-pound tackle from Victoria (MN) Mayer Lutheran who is considered one of the top linemen in the state, committed to Minnesota last week. This made him the fifth in-state product to commit to the hometown school. Schlueter picked the Gophers over Wisconsin and Michigan State.

Gopher Hole caught up with Schlueter to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: I saw you at the spring game and you committed to Minnesota that night. Why did you decide that Minnesota was the place that you wanted to be?

Sam Schlueter: It was just a feel, I guess, when I was there for my visits and everything like that and when I went to all the other places and checked them out and got a good feel for those, too and Minnesota just felt like the right place for me.

Gopher Hole: What has been the reaction of your family and friends?

Sam Schlueter: They were in full support of wherever I wanted to go and they are always going to be there to motivate me and things like that even if I had decided to go anywhere else, but they are happy with my decision.

Gopher Hole: Is it nice to know that they are going to be able to see your games a lot easier than if you had gone someplace else?

Sam Schlueter: Yes, definitely.

Gopher Hole: Does it feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders already?

Sam Schlueter: Yes, a little bit because I know my plan now. I know where I am going. I can just focus on being a Gopher.

Gopher Hole: I know that you have gotten to know some of the other Gopher commits, especially the in-state commits. Have you talked to them much since your decision and what has their reaction been?

Sam Schlueter: Oh, yes, they are definitely excited. They want to keep the in-state kids in the state and they are going to recruit just like all the coaches do and that is what I am going to do, too. I want to keep all the kids in-state and keep building Minnesota's program.

Gopher Hole: I also talked to Illinois high school player Sean Foster, who committed to Minnesota over the weekend. He mentioned that he had talked to you. You want to get the top in-state players, but it is also important to get the top players in the Midwest. How have you gotten to know him and what did you say to him?

Sam Schlueter: I saw that he committed and just let him know and told him "Great job. Congratulations and good to have you part of the Gopher family."

Gopher Hole: Minnesota has probably landed more top in-state players early than any other year. Is that something that you are proud to be a part of a Minnesota group that is going to stay home and get the program to the highest level possible?

Sam Schlueter: Yes, for sure. It is really cool.

Gopher Hole: Have you contacted the schools that you passed on to pick Minnesota? Have you had a chance to talk to them yet?

Sam Schlueter: Yes, I called everyone.

Gopher Hole: Was that hard because you had built some relationships with those schools and coaches?

Sam Schlueter: Yes, it was really hard, especially since they had given me an offer and they wanted you just as bad as all the other schools and it was hard to tell them after they had been so generous. .

Gopher Hole: What was the reaction from the coaching staff when you committed?

Sam Schlueter: They were pumped. I told Coach Kill. He was the first one I told.

Gopher Hole: Coach Limegrover has been your primary recruiter and will be your position coach. What has your relation with him been like?

Sam Schlueter: It has been great. I am really looking forward to him being my offensive line coach someday. He is a great coach and I want to keep learning more and more

Gopher Hole: Is it nice that while a lot of your friends are thinking about colleges, you have already made your decision?

Sam Schlueter: Yes, it is.

Many recruits are relieved when they verbal and say that now they can concentrate on their senior season. Sam said now he can concentrate on being a Gopher! Love this kid!!!

This team is truly headed for greatness.

He'll be fun to watch. A great guy he is!

Top Bottom