Sally's set to open next week

Made it there saturday and watched the race. Place is HUGE and really cool and open. The beer selection was OK for a campus bar, I get what Wade was saying though. Service was horrible. Place was about 2/3 full. Sat down and had at least 4 different waitresses walk by our table and ignore us for about 15 minutes. Took another 15 minutes to get our beers after we ordered them. After asking 3 times to also bring waters (it was hot out) and waiting about 45 minutes we finally just went to the bar to get waters. They get the staffing problems figured out could be a fun place. Lots of large TVs and with it being a hot day the "scenery" was fantastic.

Basically a cowboy jacks but with the cowboy theme swapped out for a Gophers theme. More of a sports bar than a college bar. I liked it; can't compare to the old Sally's because I'd never been there.

Basically a cowboy jacks but with the cowboy theme swapped out for a Gophers theme. More of a sports bar than a college bar. I liked it; can't compare to the old Sally's because I'd never been there.

Finally made it over to the new Sally's this afternoon for lunch. Agree that the menu is similar to Cowboy Jack's. It is clear that this space was designed to be a bar/restaurant rather than just retail space where the current tenant happens to be a bar. Sat out on the little patio which is on the north (Washington Ave.) side. Nice space, but pretty small. Our server said they were planning to add outdoor seating on the sidewalk on the west side (Walnut St.). The sidewalk there is quite wide, so they could seat quite a few people out there. Many of the windows are actually garage door style and they had some of them open to let in the spring air. There is even one that opens at the bar on the Walnut St. side to allow outside service.

Our server didn't know anything about pregame plans as of yet. It's not going to be as large an outdoor space as they had at the old location, but it's still worth a look if you aren't tailgating. The ability to open up the windows will help them make the inside feel like being outside on nice days.

Good, not great, bar food--burgers, sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc. Tap beer list was disappointingly small. That seems like a mistake to me. Didn't really check out the rest of the bar options, so I can't comment on that.

I think it's a really good physical design for a bar in that location. If you liked the old place, I think you'll like the new one.

Top Bottom