Ahmad Gilbert Commits to Gophers!!!

per Daniels' story:

“It’s a big time school,” Gilbert told Scout. “They were looking for a wing. I knew a couple of guys that were and one of the guys that’s committed – Kevin Dorsey. I knew Nate from summer campus.”

Gilbert originally signed with George Mason, but opened up his recruitment when Paul Hewitt was fired. Since reopening his process, Gilbert also reeled in interest from Pittsburgh, Boston College, South Florida and Penn State.

Gilbert said Pitino was upfront with him and he liked that.

“When he came to my house, he was just real,” Gilbert said. “He said you’re going to have to work, but I want you. I asked him about playing the right way and he said only way you can play right away is if you work hard. He was really honest about it. When I asked him what I needed to work on he gave me a rundown on how college coaches are going to look at me what I can’t do. That helps too.”

“They were honest about everything,” Gilbert added. “They didn’t tell me what I wanted to hear, they told me what I need to work on.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Go Gophers!!

This is a surprising offer and pickup IMO. Watching his tape, he does not look quick enough to be an effective wing in our system (and is too small to play the 4). Just my opinion, but he looks like the type of guy Tubby would've signed in the spring.

I don't know how I feel about this right now. If the writing was on the wall regarding Ellison or Boucher, I can understand it but would've liked to see us get them both. Am I correct in assuming there is only one schollie left now?

He's a really good shooter... safe to say they have one of those coming in Michael Hurt but they still didn't have enough. I know a lot of people wanted Malik Ellison but you can't afford getting neither guy. Malik had the last couple of months to commit and didn't pull the trigger.

Malik has seemed like a guy wanting a better offer/situation than Minnesota. Gilbert wants to be here. That is enough for me. They are pretty close in talent, neither is a program changer. Hopefully we get Boucher with the last scholarship.

It sounds like Boucher would be a good addition at a position of need.

Good news. I had my heart set on Ellison but will trust the coaches. Sounds like the kid is thought to have a high ceiling. I'm not sure at his point why we would need Lofton unless he is walking on. I hope Boucher is next.

By the way - I guess we have to give some credit to Gopher Warrior for his hunch.....

Malik has seemed like a guy wanting a better offer/situation than Minnesota. Gilbert wants to be here. That is enough for me. They are pretty close in talent, neither is a program changer. Hopefully we get Boucher with the last scholarship.

It's the same story with Alex... if this is where you'll want to be, make that decision and guarantee your spot.

It's the same story with Alex... if this is where you'll want to be, make that decision and guarantee your spot.

Yep- Gilbert wants to be a Gopher. I also like the fact that the kid was told that it wouldn't be easy and he was still buying in. Good sign.

Well his highlight videos are extremely underwhelming. Lefty that shoots a set shot with a low release. Looks a little awkward athletically around the rim. But as Bleed posted, he had decent EYBL numbers in limited minutes off the bench for his AAU team.

He's a really good shooter... safe to say they have one of those coming in Michael Hurt but they still didn't have enough. I know a lot of people wanted Malik Ellison but you can't afford getting neither guy. Malik had the last couple of months to commit and didn't pull the trigger.

Who says he is a really good shooter? EYBL stats don't back that up.

This is how difficult recruiting is. You have to take a character guys that you can build on. Then in a couple years you are hoping for enough winning to attract slightly better players and so on. This takes something in very short supply these days, patience. Pitino or any new coach is caught in the 1st recruiting cycle because it is so rushed from a relationship evaluation standpoint standpoint that you end up with defections or quitters. So while Gilbert does not wow with ratings he does fit the bill for the traits necessary to develop.

Watching his videos, he looks really long. I think his biggest attribute will be deflections and steals in the press and zone. He won't have to be a big time contributor next year because we'll have Mason, McBrayer, Morris, Buggs on the wing. He'll be able to develop while getting minimal playing time.

per Philly.com:

All-Southeastern Pa. first team: Ahmad Gilbert, Constitution

Guard/Forward

Ahmad Gilbert, Constitution

Dangerous in the open court and around the basket, the 6-foot-7 senior lefthander averaged 17.6 points, 11 rebounds, 2.5 steals, and 2.1 blocks while leading the Generals to a 24-8 record and their third state championship. In an 85-53 romp over District 10's Farrell in the Class A final, Gilbert, a George Mason recruit, delivered 28 points, including six three-pointers; 11 rebounds; four assists, three steals, and two blocks.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._first_team__Ahmad_Gilbert__Constitution.html

Go Gophers!!

Not sure how much I love this tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very similar situation.

Pitino met with Alex for an unofficial visit the Friday before Nwankwo and Jarvis were on campus for the weekend visit. Nwankwo committed on the spot.

Then he met with Ellison on Monday possibly knowing he had a good shot with Gilbert. Ellison wasn't ready to commit. Oh well.

Maybe he meant scorer?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can we get rid of the "score the basketball"? How stupid.

What else would he have scored with during the game? He can really score the shoe?

Who says he is a really good shooter? EYBL stats don't back that up.

I think he has a really nice stroke from the videos I've watched. I read this on him too from when he committed a year ago to George Mason...
Scouting Report
He is a long, lengthy, athletic wing that is becoming a very good 3-point shooter. Gilbert excels in the open court and can finish in transition with both hands. He will need to learn to drive the ball in the half court more and develop a go-to move. Due to the fact he isn’t good at creating his own shot in the half court he settles for too many jump shots right now; however, he is becoming very good at knocking down mid-range jumpers as well. He is a very good defensive player in the halfcourt and uses his length very well to alter shots. Gilbert is slender, and will have to get stronger as he gets into college. He will most likely end up in the A-10, CAA or the AAC. –March 20, 2014
Was a top 100 kid on ESPN a year ago.

George Mason fan posted:
This kid played on Team Final (PA) in this year's Peach Jam with the likes of Levan Alston (#80 in ESPN100), Dante Divincenzo (#93 in ESPN 100), LaMarr Kimble (3 Star 77 ESPN Scout Grade), Malachi Richardson, (#15 in ESPN100), and Trey Lowe (#92 in ESPN100).

He only played 14 mins per game and still managed to average 8.8 ppg and 7.4 rpg. His 7.4 rpg was tops on the team (nobody else averaged more than 3.6 rpg).

I love this for no other reason than gopherhole isn't over the top about the guy(do you remember how this board was about Martin?). At 6'7" and a SF this is exactly what we needed in this class. Now we need Boucher and we will have a very long and athletic team next year.

Top Bottom