#MalikToMN

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesanfordman

Reaction score
Let's get a #MalikToMN movement going!!! Malik still seems to like Minnesota but momentum is swaying other ways. Let's regain the momentum!

I think both Josh Martin and maybe someone else...was it Djuan Piper?...told multiple reporters that they appreciated the love they were shown on Twitter by Gopher fans. Is it a deciding factor? No, but it's a reminder of the strong fan base we have here, and probably contributes to his general feel for the program. Fans tweeting at him shows excitement, enthusiasm, and want. Plus, for a month or two after his official visit here, he was retweeting everything that Gophers fans tweeted at him. He likes the attention!

There's nothing creepy about tweeting #MalikToMN at Malik Ellison. That's just showing enthusiasm to an adult who has publicly announced that he will be making his college decision soon.

Ellison would be huge!! Start, maybe? Depends on how bad Carlos Morris is next year.

Let's go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah! #MalikToMN

Whether it's creepy or not is up for debate, but it is most certainly an NCAA violation.

Whether it's creepy or not is up for debate, but it is most certainly an NCAA violation.

Really? For fans to tweet a recruit? Twitter is not something I do, but that would seem to be a really odd rules violation that would not seem to be enforceable.

Of the Twitterers who tweet Ellison and say nice things to him & encourage him to be a Gopher, I wonder what percentage of those same people afterwards will tweet him that he's a piece of sh$t if he announces he's going somewhere else. At least 50%?

I vote in the camp of creepy.

If I got a bunch of tweets asking me to go somewhere I'd probably be just as inclined to go elsewhere.

Really? For fans to tweet a recruit? Twitter is not something I do, but that would seem to be a really odd rules violation that would not seem to be enforceable.

Oregon has a really good presentation on the matter online here

http://www.goducks.com/fls/500/pages/general/NCAA-Rules_Regulations.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=500

"Social networking websites have emerged as a preferred channel of communication among high
school and college students. Duck representatives of athletics interests are asked to maintain a
sense of propriety when using these social networks. Institutions have reported an NCAA violation
where several boosters contacted potential recruits on their Facebook pages and inappropriately
encouraged them to attend the institution. This type of communication is likely well intended and
motivated by pride in our institution; however, it is prohibited by the NCAA and is ultimately
harmful to the University of Oregon's best interests."

This was made a few years ago but i don't think the regulations have changed.

Of the Twitterers who tweet Ellison and say nice things to him & encourage him to be a Gopher, I wonder what percentage of those same people afterwards will tweet him that he's a piece of sh$t if he announces he's going somewhere else. At least 50%?

I vote in the camp of creepy.

I always chuckle at the "I vote in the camp of creepy" crowd on social media. You draw your line at analysis of where 18 year olds will play next season, but not at encouraging said 18 year old to play at your desired school? I don't fault your opinion. We just differ. As I vote in the camp of creepy of analyzing where 18 year olds will play a game in November.

If so, one that isn't enforced. All fan bases tweet at recruits. How many infractions have been given out for it?

If so, one that isn't enforced. All fan bases tweet at recruits. How many infractions have been given out for it?

Yeah, you are kidding yourself if you think the NCAA is patrolling twitter for fans tweeting recruits.

You fail to understand infractions. Most are reported by the institutions. Self-reporting. How many infractions have been reported? Plenty aka too many. Stollings had an awful mess-up last week.

You skipped the last part. And how many infractions have been given for it?

I can see that the dynamic duo of rules and regulations are getting lathered up for a legal debate on this one. My guess is that no one gives a flying rip if some fans tweet recruits. The problem would more likely be if some university booster group-closely tied to the university- coordinated an effort to do it.

Even if it was not a violation, there is as much chance a knucklehead fan could do as much harm as good. I seriously doubt Coach P is looking for this kind of help.
it appears to me that this ship has sailed so worry about a different recruit.

I can see that the dynamic duo of rules and regulations are getting lathered up for a legal debate on this one. My guess is that no one gives a flying rip if some fans tweet recruits. The problem would more likely be if some university booster group-closely tied to the university- coordinated an effort to do it.

Bingo.

Look out for the GW and DP tandem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom