Reggie Lynch transferring to Minnesota

Said uncle Kevin Lynch: "I'm bittersweet about this move. I'm happy for him and I hope he can reach his goals -- he's always wanted to go to Minnesota. At the same time, everybody needs to know that [Illinois State coach] Dan Muller and everybody in the program treated [Reggie] terrifically and so he's leaving a really good situation."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/300793931.html

Go Gophers!!

What I find interesting about this move is that Reggie goes from starting at C for Illinois State for two more years to sitting out a year only to compete with Bakary for minutes over the next two years. It's kind of an odd situation for Bakary too as he goes from a starter as a Sophomore to competing for that job as an upperclassman. If everything works out, it's a very nice problem to have and the Gophers project to have a very nice C tandem for two years.

One aspect to this transfer that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is how much this move benefits Bakary Konate from a development standpoint. Instead of practicing against equally raw projects like Diedhiou and Nwankwo, Bakary will be challenged by a proven commodity on the defensive end of the floor in Reggie Lynch.

What I find interesting about this move is that Reggie goes from starting at C for Illinois State for two more years to sitting out a year only to compete with Bakary for minutes over the next two years. It's kind of an odd situation for Bakary too as he goes from a starter as a Sophomore to competing for that job as an upperclassman. If everything works out, it's a very nice problem to have and the Gophers project to have a very nice C tandem for two years.

One aspect to this transfer that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is how much this move benefits Bakary Konate from a development standpoint. Instead of practicing against equally raw projects like Diedhiou and Nwankwo, Bakary will be challenged by a proven commodity on the defensive end of the floor in Reggie Lynch.
Very interesting thought in development

Looks like a good get. Also helps to even up the classes a little bit. He'll be the same year as Mason.

I think it's a great pickup. I can't help admiring two tweeners like Joey and Reggie coming out of high school, going out and proving themselves at solid programs, then coming back home when the opportunity presented itself to wear the Maroon and Gold.

Looks like a good get. Also helps to even up the classes a little bit. He'll be the same year as Mason.

Doesn't help even out the classes at all. Now we'll have 3 post players all in the same year...

Edit: I get that it helps by adding a scholarship to a future class so that year we'll have 4 in that class but too many at 1 or 2 positions in a single year can be tough.

Doesn't help even out the classes at all. Now we'll have 3 post players all in the same year...

Edit: I get that it helps by adding a scholarship to a future class so that year we'll have 4 in that class but too many at 1 or 2 positions in a single year can be tough.

The war will be won or loss by Coach P's 4th and/or 5th year. No need to look further than that.

He always had good basketball skills, I doubt he is 6'10", in high school he had decent but not great athleticism, he will add a physical presence inside that can score, don't expect those shot blocking numbers in the Big Ten.

He didn't impress me in high school in terms of aggressiveness but ok athletically

If all Lynch can do is block shots, he's perfect for MN.

Having a shot blocking, rim protector allows the guards so much more freedom to play aggressive on the perimeter and go for steals. I think Lynch and hopefully Bakari will be a huge help for that.

Can he get up and down the floor? Jonathon looks like he can run the floor very well from his tapes and Konate and Gaston sound like they can run well too. I'm intrigued by the idea of having the more athletic big play PF while Lynch mans the paint on defense. Which player would be best suited to play PF?

It's been a while since we have had two big men that can play at the same time at a Big Ten level. It's something we need badly too.

Can he get up and down the floor? Jonathon looks like he can run the floor very well from his tapes and Konate and Gaston sound like they can run well too. I'm intrigued by the idea of having the more athletic big play PF while Lynch mans the paint on defense. Which player would be best suited to play PF?

It's been a while since we have had two big men that can play at the same time at a Big Ten level. It's something we need badly too.

What?

Did we fire Richard Pitino or something?

The ISU board is an entertaining read. I feel for those guys in a mid-major program. With all the griping we have here, just imagine what it is like to have a team that never gets a shot at any of the top players (Maryland POY), and the best players can jump at anytime.

One angel I find humorous is how so many ISU posters say that Reggie would have been the star that leads them to the tournament, but he will just be a benchwarmer on a U team that won't make it. So he can carry their team on his back, but he won't even get to play on a terrible U team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The U put out this release:

Gophers Add Transfer Center Reggie Lynch

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of center Reggie Lynch (Edina, Minn./Edina), who will transfer from Illinois State University. The 6’10”, 253-pound Lynch played two seasons with the Redbirds and will have two years of eligibility remaining after he sits out the 2015-16 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

“We are very excited about the addition of Reggie Lynch,” Pitino said. “He was one of the best players on a very good team in a proven conference. We expect him to make an immediate impact. Most importantly, Reggie has grown up dreaming of being a Gopher. He will wear the Maroon and Gold with pride.”

Lynch is coming off an All-Missouri Valley Conference second team season, as well as earning All-Defensive and All-MVC Tournament team honors. In two years at ISU, Lynch recorded 189 career blocks, second on the school’s all-time list. In that category, he was the conference leader and ranked 14th in the nation with 2.8 blocks per game. This year, Lynch led the Redbirds in rebounds (178, 5.4 rpg) and ranked third in scoring (9.5 ppg).

During his freshman campaign, Lynch picked up All-Newcomer and All-Freshman accolades from the MVC and set the MVC and Illinois State freshman single-season blocks records with 96 total blocks. Lynch also set the ISU freshman single-season field goal percentage mark, with a 110-for-189 (58.2 percent) average, which led Illinois State and ranked second in the MVC. He was the Redbirds’ leading rebounder (164, 4.8 rpg) and fourth-leading scorer at 8.3 points per game.

Lynch is the nephew of former Golden Gopher and NBA player Kevin Lynch.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He had a great game against Wichita this year but nitpicking a few other box scores he had 9 points, 5 rebounds and 6 blocks against Texas A&M as a freshman, 10 points going 4-7, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in only 13 minutes in his third ever college basketball game against Big Ten Northwestern, 10 points, 6 rebounds and a block against
#25 Dayton, 6 rebounds and 4 blocks against Wichita as a freshman. As a sophomore he had a nice 9 point, 5 rebound, 3 block game against #11 UNI in the MVC tourney and 8 points, 6 rebounds and 3 blocks the first time against Wichita, 10 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks against them the second time and a well documented 11 points, 7 rebound, 5 block game the last time against he Shockers in which they won.

He had a great game against Wichita this year but nitpicking a few other box scores he had 9 points, 5 rebounds and 6 blocks against Texas A&M as a freshman, 10 points going 4-7, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in only 13 minutes in his third ever college basketball game against Big Ten Northwestern, 10 points, 6 rebounds and a block against
#25 Dayton, 6 rebounds and 4 blocks against Wichita as a freshman. As a sophomore he had a nice 9 point, 5 rebound, 3 block game against #11 UNI in the MVC tourney and 8 points, 6 rebounds and 3 blocks the first time against Wichita, 10 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks against them the second time and a well documented 11 points, 7 rebound, 5 block game the last time against he Shockers in which they won.

And in a game I watched him defensively dominate a rim challenging UWGB team racking up 15 points, 8 rebounds and 6 blocks in only 24 minutes of work.

per STrib Q&A:

How tough of a decision was it to transfer, and why did you decide to come to Minnesota?

The decision was absolutely nerve-wracking and took me a month’s worth of option-weighing, family conversation and prayer. But the ultimate deciding factors were where I would be happiest, being right next to home and the fulfillment of a dream that I am pursuing and have pursued, to be one of the U’s great players. The family at ISU, the friends I made, the coaches and players were all people that were the main thing that made it hardest to leave, and I will always cherish the memories and fun we had.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/301080721.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

His blocks per game is impressive. I don't think that's something that is going to drop off too dramatically transferring from mid-major to the Big 10. You can either block shots, or you can't. Having someone who can bail out a defense at the rim is a huge asset. He looks every bit of the listed 6-10. Though is would be great to have him immediately, having him sit and get accustomed to the Big 10 -- albeit on the bench -- could be a benefit in the long run.

Not sure why he wouldn't be able too but can Lynch play on the exhibition tour

Top Bottom