Would a high school football game of the week at the Bank work?

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
Do you think having a weekly match up on either Thursday or Friday night between some of the state's strongest programs (conference games mostly) would be fun for the schools/kids and good for the University's football program at the same time?
Probably a silly idea

Do you think having a weekly match up on either Thursday or Friday night between some of the state's strongest programs (conference games mostly) would be fun for the schools/kids and good for the University's football program at the same time?
Probably a silly idea
I would bet the answer would lie in how much it would cost MSHSL to rent the stadium that evening, or however the money would work out. Doubt the U would donate the space unless they were getting all concessions/ticket/parking revenue.

Great idea. And televise it on AggieVision.

Might be tough as price is likely high. Also may be rules against games there outside of playoffs for recruiting purposes. I hope the state gets some access to a new soccer stadium for football, soccer, and lacrosse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might be tough as price is likely high. Also may be rules against games there outside of playoffs for recruiting purposes. I hope the state gets some access to a new soccer stadium for football, soccer, and lacrosse.

No state money for soccor.

If I'm Taylor, McGuire, or the Pohlad's, I lock that thing up unless it benefits me in a big way. Especially given the circus the Mayor started.

Although I'm sure the People's stadium will be happy to host a game of the week.

Sarcasm aside, I do like the TCF idea. Would be a lot of fun on a Friday night. Probably some rule against it though.

High School games should be played at the high school stadium. Most convienent for all involved and the best way to assure the maximum attendance, home field advantages, etc. 1,500 folks at TCF watching the game does no one any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be cool if they had a weekend of games there when the Gophers are on the road. Maybe two games Friday and then three or four Saturday.

Probably a silly idea

Not sure if this is the same thing, but years ago the Gophers had a high school basketball game before every home game. I saw the 1961 Edgerton team play one of those games. Then some bureaucrats decided it wasn't fair or something like that. Now obviously this wouldn't be before a Gopher game. How about having a youth football game at halftime?

I think it's a very interesting idea.

NCAA violations?
Neighborhood noise agreements?
Financial feasibility?

High School games should be played at the high school stadium. Most convienent for all involved and the best way to assure the maximum attendance, home field advantages, etc. 1,500 folks at TCF watching the game does no one any good.

This. It's hard enough to fill many HS stadiums with 1000 people, much less asking fans to travel to Mpls on short notice.

Amen - not to mention some big games Tonka/Wayzata or Lakeville North/South game is huge to the communities and attendance can reach 10,000 in some years. This is a big time money maker for those communities. If your bringing the best game to TCF that means you are taking the best games out of the school.

Also, the new Viking stadium had something written into the bill that the MSHSL gets to use the stadium like 10 times free of charge. I don't know the exact number, but it was enough for state soccer and football.

Here is Indianapolis, there are quite a few high school games played at Lucas Oil Stadium throughout the season. We play probably 10 or so games there spread out throughout the football classes, and of course thats where the championships are played. we love it, and if i recall correctly its like 10.00 to watch your kid play in the dome. I think there should be high school games played at college and professional stadiums. Let someone else pick up the tab if its crazy money. My kids school has almost 3800 kids (3rd biggest in Indiana) so its a lot bigger and better facilities then some small colleges around here.

Amen - not to mention some big games Tonka/Wayzata or Lakeville North/South game is huge to the communities and attendance can reach 10,000 in some years. This is a big time money maker for those communities. If your bringing the best game to TCF that means you are taking the best games out of the school.

Also, the new Viking stadium had something written into the bill that the MSHSL gets to use the stadium like 10 times free of charge. I don't know the exact number, but it was enough for state soccer and football.

You really think tonka wayzata and south/north get 10k fans?
Stop believing everything you hear.

That 9000 number is B.S.

http://archives.ecmpublishers.info/...outh-winner-plays-in-finals-loser-stays-home/

This article about same game says several thousand not 9000. Only 4000 or so seats in large High School stadiums and there aren't 5000 more standing around.

3,500…Average attendance at a LNHS football game. From Lakeville's own advertisements looking for sponsors which would try to pad that number as well.

At the state tournaments at the dome they would only fill up the sections lower level between the 20's for a Wayzata EP State championship. If you think you can fill up the bank(or even half fill) with a regular season game your nuts. 4000 would be a high number and that would require two large school contenders.

The communities that could field 4000 at a TCF game already have invested in nice facilities. EP, Minnetonka, Wayzata, Prior Lake, etc... have nice turfed fields, giant digital scoreboards with replays, and a closer to the field experience than TCF.

Cost shouldn't be much of an issue. They used to rent the entire Dome to the MSHSL for spring baseball games for $500 a game on off nights in the early spring . Given that we as taxpayers own the university and the bank I would expect out other public institutions to get a good rate for renting as well. Should be just enough to cover costs of security, cleaning and lights, not a for profit opportunity.

I think it's a very interesting idea.

NCAA violations?
Neighborhood noise agreements?
Financial feasibility?

I'm pretty sure the U can only have one weeknight game per year. So that would be the first fight, and I'd say the recruiting benefit is minimal. Showing off your stadium with 1,000 people in it isn't a great look.

I'm pretty sure the U can only have one weeknight game per year. So that would be the first fight, and I'd say the recruiting benefit is minimal. Showing off your stadium with 1,000 people in it isn't a great look.

Oh I think you can get quite a few more than that. Hell if you can 2-3k for an Alex game I'm sure you could double or triple that for a couple of TC teams at a Big Ten Stadium.

I do wonder though if it is a ncaa violation...recruiting. Also remember the new Vikes(people's) stadium could do the same.

I got a kick out of this part of the article.

Over 9,000 fans are expected to pack the stands at Lakeville South High School to witness this
classic Minnesota clash between these long-time rivals.

Lakeville South has only existed since 2005.

I don't know if weekly would work but I like the idea of more high school games at TGF

More section games, yes. They could be neutral site after the first round. The smart move would be to put the AAAAAA crossover section games at TCF. Guaranteed big school, crossover means long travel for at least one team anyway.

Would there be conflicts with the marching band practices?

in ohio, high school games are played at the horseshoe. not certain if there's a different relationship between the Us and their stadiums, UMinn and OSU, that would prevent high school games at tcf

This guy gets it!

No, it is not an NCAA violation (as indicated in the tOSU example above)
It isn't a financially sound decision for any of the parties involved.
If you're an AD hosting you're rival (big crowd), why split / give up the gate?
Why pay for transportation? Give up your concessions?

Great idea but probably better at Vikings stadium.

The part you guys are all missing is the kids. The opportunity to play at TCF or the Vikings stadium is huge. Kids talk about it forever. In basketball, you can play at Target Center. It's a big deal to the kids and their parents. It's not about attendance. It's about the opportunity. It's the one chance for 99% of the players to experience the big stage.

Top Bottom