What we need

goldenboy

Reaction score
Is a couple of high-profile commitments. Badly. This board is getting stale, and we need something exciting to discuss.

I'd say it's also important that there are no subtractions from the current recruiting class. It appears to be a pretty solid class, as currently constituted.

We need a season where the highlight is not "reasons to look forward to next year."

Is a couple of high-profile commitments. Badly. This board is getting stale, and we need something exciting to discuss.

What's important is not to reach. We could sign Carlos Morris again and that would certainly get the board excited. There are some interesting SF's available, and several multi-year transfers, but at this point in time, I'd be happy with Lofton getting back on the court and banking the remaining scholarships for fall recruiting. To make it to the dance next season we would need Kareem and Kobe.

We need this guy

I miss Mbakwe.... fun hearing the german announcer mix in American names during the highlights. Big dunk by Mbakwe at 3:40.

We need this guy

I miss Mbakwe.... fun hearing the german announcer mix in American names during the highlights. Big dunk by Mbakwe at 3:40.

Getting someone like The Beast should be our #1 priority for the Class of 2016. If Gaston is a development guy whose sole value is the ability to play both PF and C, taking two PF's makes sense. You can't run, if you can't rebound.

Getting someone like The Beast should be our #1 priority for the Class of 2016. If Gaston is a development guy whose sole value is the ability to play both PF and C, taking two PF's makes sense. You can't run, if you can't rebound.

Truth.

Certainly possible JN (not even going to try his last name) could get there eventually as well.

Certainly possible JN (not even going to try his last name) could get there eventually as well.

Nwankwo has a B1G ready body, which Konate doesn't, and although I think he's a C, he has better skills than Gaston. At this point in time, the more the merrier.

We need a guy who cares about rebounding more than anything else and the sooner the better.

Nwankwo has a B1G ready body, which Konate doesn't, and although I think he's a C, he has better skills than Gaston. At this point in time, the more the merrier.

Konate has a Big Ten ready body, just needs seasoning. Can he still add a lot of muscle? Yes.

Konate has a Big Ten ready body, just needs seasoning. Can he still add a lot of muscle? Yes.

When he adds a lot of muscle, then he has a B1G ready body. Until then it's merely projection, which is a fancy way of saying guessing. Seasoning is a completely different issue. The board had this same type of discussion on my pal Carlos. There were sequences last season, where Carlos would have had his ass shoved right out of Dinkytown, if the fans weren't in the way.

When he adds a lot of muscle, then he has a B1G ready body. Until then it's merely projection, which is a fancy way of saying guessing. Seasoning is a completely different issue. The board had this same type of discussion on my pal Carlos. There were sequences last season, where Carlos would have had his ass shoved right out of Dinkytown, if the fans weren't in the way.

Yeah- I remember, when Carlos was doing well you disappeared for a good long stretch- only to reappear when he had problems. Carlos has a lot more ability than you gave him credit for. He had deficiencies but so did every Gopher in one area or another. I'm glad we got him. Konate is also better than you think and yes he has a Big Ten ready body.

Yeah- I remember, when Carlos was doing well you disappeared for a good long stretch- only to reappear when he had problems. Carlos has a lot more ability than you gave him credit for. He had deficiencies but so did every Gopher in one area or another. I'm glad we got him. Konate is also better than you think and yes he has a Big Ten ready body.

To Howies credit, he didn't return when he started doing poorly, Howie was absent the entire season. From beginning to end.

I left after fall recruiting and came back for spring recruiting. I'll probably do the same this year. Gopherhole is not a happy place when my favorite team is losing. The 222 minutes I watched Konate, I was favorably impressed, but that doesn't mean he has a B1G ready body. My best guess is he'll be fine his junior year and Nwankwo will play a lot.

I left after fall recruiting and came back for spring recruiting. I'll probably do the same this year. Gopherhole is not a happy place when my favorite team is losing. The 222 minutes I watched Konate, I was favorably impressed, but that doesn't mean he has a B1G ready body. My best guess is he'll be fine his junior year and Nwankwo will play a lot.

Okay- fair enough.

The intriguing thing abour Boucher is his 3-point shooting. Against smaller teams he could play center in a lineup like:

Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Boucher

You could play a 5 out offense that opens up some space for Dorsey to either penetrate and score or penetrate and kick to an open shooter.

Come on man

What's important is not to reach. We could sign Carlos Morris again and that would certainly get the board excited. There are some interesting SF's available, and several multi-year transfers, but at this point in time, I'd be happy with Lofton getting back on the court and banking the remaining scholarships for fall recruiting. To make it to the dance next season we would need Kareem and Kobe.[/QUOTE]

We need more players and better players this spring or next year will be very ugly unless nobody gets hurt and everything goes perfectly. Guys will transfer in greater numbers if we don't add excellent players this spring.

If we get at minimum, two excellent players...just two guys who are good enough to score or defend or rebound
at Big Ten level...not all three skills just one of those skills in each guy ....then we have a chance to make it to the dance next year. We'd have some competition.

Get Boucher and Ellison and we should be able to get to the bubble.

Keep Watching

We need more players and better players this spring or next year will be very ugly unless nobody gets hurt and everything goes perfectly. Guys will transfer in greater numbers if we don't add excellent players this spring.

If we get at minimum, two excellent players...just two guys who are good enough to score or defend or rebound
at Big Ten level...not all three skills just one of those skills in each guy ....then we have a chance to make it to the dance next year. We'd have some competition.

Get Boucher and Ellison and we should be able to get to the bubble.

We are not currently recruiting any excellent players, certainly not any can't miss players. If Lofton comes back and Reggie Lynch transfers in, will those scholarships quit burning a hole in your pocket? Those two look doable. That would leave Hurt plus 2 tenders for the Class of 2016. Sign a freshman PF, plus probably a wing, and we pretty much have everything addressed.

We are not currently recruiting any excellent players, certainly not any can't miss players. If Lofton comes back and Reggie Lynch transfers in, will those scholarships quit burning a hole in your pocket? Those two look doable. That would leave Hurt plus 2 tenders for the Class of 2016. Sign a freshman PF, plus probably a wing, and we pretty much have everything addressed.
I believe both Lynch and Lofton would be here for 2 more years. 3 in the case of Lynch.

Absolutely not

If Lynch, Lofton and Hurt are the next three scholarships...Pitino will be gone. Then only a healthy UCLA Kareem and a
young Kobe would be able to save Pitino's job. That'd be a disaster.

Of course Lofton and Lynch are doable. Nobody else is recruiting them...for a reason. You really can't possibly be serious? Nobody is can't miss but Boucher, Ellison and Mulder would help for sure. Your plan dooms the season, which in turn makes recruiting the next year a bigger problem. No Coffey or anyone else desirable if we go 2 and 16 with your additions.

Boucher is the Juco player of the year and has a bunch of schools on him. Ellison is highly regarded as well. Mulder has a Kentucky visit ahead. We aren't recruiting any excellent players?

Someone had to be the Last Person Picked

If Lynch, Lofton and Hurt are the next three scholarships...Pitino will be gone. Then only a healthy UCLA Kareem and a

Of course Lofton and Lynch are doable. Nobody else is recruiting them...for a reason. You really can't possibly be serious? Nobody is can't miss but Boucher, Ellison and Mulder would help for sure. Your plan dooms the season, which in turn makes recruiting the next year a bigger problem. No Coffey or anyone else desirable if we go 2 and 16 with your additions.

Do you see a smile on my face? When guys like you sit in the stands, clap and sing the school song I have no problems with it.

I think Coffey commits before the season if we are his choice.

What exactly do you consider a big ten body? Just wondering cause konate is about the same size as dieng and he has a nba body. Watching the konate this year he didn't seem small compared to other big men in big10. I don't know I guess.

JoshuaT81,

It's one of those things you learn over time. I remember asking my father, a coach, why Coach Dutcher signed Kevin McHale. He explained how bigs develop over time and I was fortunate to be a season ticket holder during the Dutcher years, so I saw a lot of things first hand. I think my guesses are better than most, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

What exactly do you consider a big ten body? Just wondering cause konate is about the same size as dieng and he has a nba body. Watching the konate this year he didn't seem small compared to other big men in big10. I don't know I guess.

Big Ten Body is one of the dumbest phrases you'll see on here. Konate had good size of a freshman, if he can gain ~10lbs this off-season, great. The dude is ripped, I could see him being a monster by year 3 & 4.

Think if KG would have played for Illinois instead or going pro, he would not of had a "Big Ten Body".

Top Bottom