Reusse on Pitino this yr: worst coaching job the Gophers have had since 1970-71

Exactly. I'd add Northwestern to your list. 4-5 at home in Big Ten games, and we didn't even host 2 of the best teams in the conference, Maryland & Michigan State. Barf.

But it was all the seniors' fault, though, so we're all hunky dory. Now that, especially, those leftover seniors (Andre, EE, Mo) from the previous regime are out of the program, it's all top-4 B1G finishes & Sweet 16 appearances from here on out!

(tongue in cheek reference to the seniors, by the way)

It's not all anybody's fault. Not Pitino, not the seniors, not anyone in particular. A lot of stuff happened this year from start to finish. My tendency is to think that Pitino got better than expected out of the previous team and less than expected out of this year's team. Part of the expectations for this year were based on beating the expected the year before. I was among those saying a top 4 finish was not impossible. However, that's when I expected Martin to come in and add a rebounder and McNeil to be a defensive presence. So you lose those two (and maybe we have to blame Pitino for that) and then lose 4 close games early and the season just became an uphill battle. If this was year 5 for Pitino- and he hadn't had us competing and above .500 once or twice - I'd be blaming him because- I'd have seen it before. In this case I'm not blaming him- it's just too early to start throwing darts at the coach for this one.

He's got a nice recruiting class coming- one of our best in years and perhaps more to add. Let's give him a chance- I think he's going to succeed here or somewhere else if we lose patience too soon.

Beeg, my frustration is more about the nonchalant criticism ("darts", as you might call it) toward our departing seniors than it is a lack of faith in Pitino. I get that he's a young coach, and I fully understand there will be some bumps along the away.

Simply want to point out that not everyone thinks the previous regime's seniors (Andre, Mo, and EE) deserve the lion's share of the blame for that 6-12 conference record. Absolutely, they had a hand in it, as did the coaching staff, as did the newcomers, and as did a couple of the current coach's recruits who were off the team before Christmas (or earlier).

Darts can be thrown in more than one direction?

Beeg, my frustration is more about the nonchalant criticism ("darts", as you might call it) toward our departing seniors than it is a lack of faith in Pitino. I get that he's a young coach, and I fully understand there will be some bumps along the away.

Simply want to point out that not everyone thinks the previous regime's seniors (Andre, Mo, and EE) deserve the lion's share of the blame for that 6-12 conference record. Absolutely, they had a hand in it, as did the coaching staff, as did the newcomers, and as did a couple of the current coach's recruits who were off the team before Christmas (or earlier).

Yes they can.

I think that most of the darts tossed at the departing seniors were not necessarily rips at them, but rather a lot of people, including myself who believed they could take the next step after last year- but realizing that we didn't see the necessary improvement. In the end those guys were good guys but perhaps in retrospect they did all they could the year before and then, giving it their best this year, could not get over the hump in several close games.

So I think at the end of the year fans looked back and said- hey maybe we overestimated out talent a bit- based on how last year ended.

Like it or not, Pitino, not the departed seniors, is the face of our program. If we want success we better get behind him in a big way. If the most die hard fans are willing to bail on him at this point, just two years in and his first full (with a year to work on it) recruiting class just coming in this fall, we are sealing our fate to some degree.

IMO, Pat is jealous of all of the respect Sid gets for how old he is and he just wants to prove he knows about things from 40 years ago too!

At this point Pat is a joke, he makes the Strib look more like the Onion. Just awful at his job and it's unfortunate he will do whatever it takes to get clicks even if it means hurting the ability for Pitino and his assistants and the U to be successful in recruiting and fund raising. I'd be just fine with it too if it had merit, but this is just pathetic click baiting for him and he really doesn't care. Just a sad, strange little man.

are you being funny?

This is the theme a lot that somehow the negative media has an impact on recruiting and fund raising. However, if this really has no merit and is pathetic as you suggest it seems unlikely to factor in the success of recruiting or funding raising.

Yes they can.

I think that most of the darts tossed at the departing seniors were not necessarily rips at them, but rather a lot of people, including myself who believed they could take the next step after last year- but realizing that we didn't see the necessary improvement. In the end those guys were good guys but perhaps in retrospect they did all they could the year before and then, giving it their best this year, could not get over the hump in several close games.

So I think at the end of the year fans looked back and said- hey maybe we overestimated out talent a bit- based on how last year ended.

Like it or not, Pitino, not the departed seniors, is the face of our program. If we want success we better get behind him in a big way. If the most die hard fans are willing to bail on him at this point, just two years in and his first full (with a year to work on it) recruiting class just coming in this fall, we are sealing our fate to some degree.

Perhaps I am interpreting some things that are said differently than you are, but I don't feel like very many people on this board are ready to "bail on him". I know I'm not, I just don't think that saying that I think he did a bad job this year is the same thing as giving up on him. At least prior to some of the other schools making their hires and ending the rumors, I think I saw a lot more people on this board concerned that we would lose Pitino to a more attractive job than I saw people saying we should fire him based on last year's results, and that doesn't feel like bailing to me.

Perhaps I am interpreting some things that are said differently than you are, but I don't feel like very many people on this board are ready to "bail on him". I know I'm not, I just don't think that saying that I think he did a bad job this year is the same thing as giving up on him. At least prior to some of the other schools making their hires and ending the rumors, I think I saw a lot more people on this board concerned that we would lose Pitino to a more attractive job than I saw people saying we should fire him based on last year's results, and that doesn't feel like bailing to me.

I don't see people saying- "let's fire him." But I have seen people pop on and start to say "Orlando would have done this with these guys" or "I knew when we hired him it was a reach", or just people saying he did a poor job. My point is simply that this is a tough job to get momentum on and it is of importance that fans are helpful in maintaining a positive view of the program and coach at this early point in the process. I think he can get it done and will given time and his own players. if it's like this year was in year 4 and 5 with no record of breaking through- then by all means people should complain about the coach. For now the coach is the brand and I want to build the brand.

It's inaccurate to the fan who can research and is a die hard, avid fan. However if I am a corporation and debating how my donation is perceived on the grand total population opinion, this hurts.

For example, if you were thinking as a corporation of donating 10 million to political candidate X's campaign and then some piece comes out that candidate X hates America and has never paid their taxes, and despite none of it being true the general pop believes it, you probably don't make that donation or you certainly think much harder about it.

Point being, so many things in CBB, particularly recruiting and fund raising are PR based. If even an untrue article is posted and damages PR, you damage recruiting and fund raising. And sure Pitino should sell the program well enough that it doesn't matter. But when other programs don't face these problems, he's fighting an uphill battle that may not exist at a place like, say, Alabama.

Not saying this article will single handedly set back the gopher program a million years, but the combination of articles typically written here don't help.

I don't see people saying- "let's fire him." But I have seen people pop on and start to say "Orlando would have done this with these guys" or "I knew when we hired him it was a reach", or just people saying he did a poor job. My point is simply that this is a tough job to get momentum on and it is of importance that fans are helpful in maintaining a positive view of the program and coach at this early point in the process. I think he can get it done and will given time and his own players. if it's like this year was in year 4 and 5 with no record of breaking through- then by all means people should complain about the coach. For now the coach is the brand and I want to build the brand.

+19

I agree with your points. Pitino is out horse, let's give him time to establish his brand of BB. I don't think the "darts" are meant to demean the seniors. We all knew these players were not going to play Pitino's system the day he came in. It was a valiant effort by the players. He used the current players more effectively than Kill was able to do.

Also, the season did not go well, but remember how many games we threw away. Winning a few of those game would have changed the whole tone of this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, Pat is jealous of all of the respect Sid gets for how old he is and he just wants to prove he knows about things from 40 years ago too!

At this point Pat is a joke, he makes the Strib look more like the Onion. Just awful at his job and it's unfortunate he will do whatever it takes to get clicks even if it means hurting the ability for Pitino and his assistants and the U to be successful in recruiting and fund raising. I'd be just fine with it too if it had merit, but this is just pathetic click baiting for him and he really doesn't care. Just a sad, strange little man.

Just makes me hope more and more Pitino can pull a Kill and shut him up, I mean, Pitino could win a title and ole Pat would be talking about how the 10th man only played 4 MPG instead of 6 MPG, considering all of the blowout wins. At least then people would finally realize his silly game.

How the hell does this effect Pitino and his ability to be successful (recruiting/fundraising)? I do NOT like Pat, but it's not his job, or any sports journalist for that matter, to be cheerleaders and concern himself or herself with how their articles might effect fundraising and/or recruiting.

How the hell does this effect Pitino and his ability to be successful (recruiting/fundraising)? I do NOT like Pat, but it's not his job, or any sports journalist for that matter, to be cheerleaders and concern himself or herself with how their articles might effect fundraising.

It effects it because it effects public opinion. Fan support and opinion of the program directly impacts recruiting and fund raising. Much like the media can impact elections. Like I said, it is Pitino's job to over come those things, but it is also a disadvantage when schools like Alabama don't have to deal with the same issues.

And it's not his job to be a cheerleader. It is his job to not make hyperbolic statements presented in a way that "might" be factual in order to scratch the back and cheerlead for his BFF Flip. If Pat was being fair and objective, that's one thing. But he's not. He's intentionally going out of his way to bash the program further than is warranted or sensible. That's the problem.

How the hell does this effect Pitino and his ability to be successful (recruiting/fundraising)? I do NOT like Pat, but it's not his job, or any sports journalist for that matter, to be cheerleaders and concern himself or herself with how their articles might effect fundraising and/or recruiting.
Really, you can't understand how the vigorously negative press affects public perception and support?

How Amelia created a nationwide coaching departure alert?

Sports "journalist"?

And we wonder why Hoiberg loves it in Ames?

Really, you can't understand how the vigorously negative press affects public perception and support?

Sports "journalist"?

Whether it's right or wrong, big or small; the negative press has an effect. Would you like a community that supports the team, or one that rips on the team.

Perception is always much bigger than it should be.

Sports "journalist"?

FWIW, Amelia's 'journalism' on the Alabama thing was fare more damaging to perceptions than an off-hand comment by Pat in a blog.

Sports "journalist"?

The sad part is that Fat Pat could be a good writer. He has a talent. But he is LAZY. That's why articles like this get written. When there isn't an obvious story to be had he writes a hit piece and takes cheap shots- the easiest articles in the world to write.

The sad part is that Fat Pat could be a good writer. He has a talent. But he is LAZY. That's why articles like this get written. When there isn't an obvious story to be had he writes a hit piece and takes cheap shots- the easiest articles in the world to write.

Not could be. Used to be. And sometimes still is, but usually only if it's about the Twins, golf, the Turkey of the year or some human interest story.

The Gophers need to rise above all this "negativity." Blaming the press for poor recruiting and lack of fundraising is weak sauce in my opinion. It sounds like a convenient excuse. I don't think people realize just how bad the professional and major college programs have been around here for the last handful of years. What are the journalist supposed to write about? Silver linings? Hope for next season? That shiit gets extremely annoying. Again, I don't care for Pat, but there are plenty of big time basketball programs that win in spite of constant "negative" press. If his opinion is that this was the worst coaching job ever, let the smug jackhole have that opinion and move on. Don't expect him to care about recruiting and fundraising, that's all.

Reusse was offering the comparison as opinion, not fact, and it wasn't intended to be taken literally as there was no way to make a valid statistical comparison. The point that he was making was that Pitino took a team with above average talent and experience (three seniors and two juniors in the starting five) and achieved a below average outcome.

I think that he is particularly unforgiving of guys who he perceives as being bullsh$tters and it appears that he has decided that Pitino is in that club. He hated Holtz, Brew, "Remarkable Mike" Lynn and I think he'd like to hate "Country Jer's" aw shucks persona but the football team is producing. He's gone relatively easy on the Twins and the Wolves because he perceives Ryan, Gardenhire (when he was managing), Taylor and Flip as non bullsh$tters.

So he hates a large cross section of coaching types and philosophies. Matybe Reusse's the one with a problem.

Remove Mo from the mix and resume dart throwing.

Top Bottom