Reusse on Pitino this yr: worst coaching job the Gophers have had since 1970-71

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

This winter’s failure at Williams Arena was more amazing than the Timberwolves’ tank job. Richard Pitino’s Gophers had much experience with two post players and capable guards. Somehow, he coached ’em up to 6-12 in the Big Ten and to being absent from the 100 teams playing in the NCAA or the NIT.

What we might have seen in Pitino’s second season was the worst coaching job the Gophers have had since George Hanson went one-and-done in 1970-71.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/300566961.html

Go Gophers!!

Why are all of our sports writers such miserable old cranks?

I think this team greatly missed Austin Hollins and his leadership. I hope this was just the "sophomore" slump for Pitino and next year will be much better.

Reusse: Pitino's coaching might have been the worst since 1970-71

"What we might have seen in Pitino’s second season was the worst coaching job the Gophers have had since George Hanson went one-and-done in 1970-71"

I am amazed by this. I was thoroughly disappointed by this season, but to say it was worse than any of Tubby's last 3 years (6-12, 6-12, 8-10 after being ranked in the top 10) or many of Monson's seasons has me wondering what Reusse was watching. There have been far better teams than this years Gophers to go 6-12 or worse in very recent history. From my vantage point this season doesn't even rate among the top 5 worst coaching jobs in the last 15 years at Minnesota, much less the worst in 40 plus seasons.

Ahh jeez, Pat trying his hardest to be inflammatory again. My only reaction to this reaching failure of an effort is a giant ***yawn***. Mmm, time for coffee.

Calm down EG#9. Orlando would have taken us to the dance at least one, if not both of the past 2 years. Clowns like you were screaming for more, and even the Gopher Faithful, such as myself were hoping for more. This is the internet age and Coach P. and staff are going to be subject to criticism.

It's amazing that the 95 year-old Sid is more lucid and has a better memory than the human bean bag chair we call Pat.

IMO, Pat is jealous of all of the respect Sid gets for how old he is and he just wants to prove he knows about things from 40 years ago too!

At this point Pat is a joke, he makes the Strib look more like the Onion. Just awful at his job and it's unfortunate he will do whatever it takes to get clicks even if it means hurting the ability for Pitino and his assistants and the U to be successful in recruiting and fund raising. I'd be just fine with it too if it had merit, but this is just pathetic click baiting for him and he really doesn't care. Just a sad, strange little man.

Just makes me hope more and more Pitino can pull a Kill and shut him up, I mean, Pitino could win a title and ole Pat would be talking about how the 10th man only played 4 MPG instead of 6 MPG, considering all of the blowout wins. At least then people would finally realize his silly game.

The leading mags had the Gophers in the 7 to 9 range so 6-12 is on the low end. Hardly the catastrophy Pfat Pat is crying about.

Nothing in this article to back up his assertions. No comparisons to other seasons, no specifics, nothing. Basically he's trolling for clicks. Sadly I gave him two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was Brew ever considered for Notre Dame
Pretty sure he was kidding. Using it as saying both pitino and Brewster had no chance on these rumored jobs, they probably started the rumors for hype j/k.

6-12 in B10 with a senior starting backcourt and 2 seniors up front? And coming off a NIT champ run. The Fat Man isn't too far off base with his opinion.

They lost a boatload of games by one or two possessions; often the difference between a good season and a bad season.

Frustrating, but certainly not cause to panic

6-12 in B10 with a senior starting backcourt and 2 seniors up front? And coming off a NIT champ run. The Fat Man isn't too far off base with his opinion.

It wasn't a year that lived up to expectations by any means.

But "the worst coaching job since 1970" ? Give me a break.

Agreed. Whether the claim that this season was the worst coaching job in over 40 years is correct or not really isn't the point. This season was a poor coaching job by Pitino and I'm glad at least one columnist is willing to say that instead of worrying about currying favor with the coach to maintain access. At this point Pitino needs to feel a little heat.

I thought his comments about the state of the NBA were right on. Only 7 or 8 teams out of 30 this season had winning percentages between 40%-60%. The rest were either bad teams or good teams inflating their winning percentages by all the games against bad teams. There is a grain of truth to his statement that the performance of the Gophers may have been more disappointing than the Timberwolves because there are no consolation prizes for being terrible in NCAA basketball.

"What we might have seen in Pitino’s second season was the worst coaching job the Gophers have had since George Hanson went one-and-done in 1970-71"

I am amazed by this. I was thoroughly disappointed by this season, but to say it was worse than any of Tubby's last 3 years (6-12, 6-12, 8-10 after being ranked in the top 10) or many of Monson's seasons has me wondering what Reusse was watching. There have been far better teams than this years Gophers to go 6-12 or worse in very recent history. From my vantage point this season doesn't even rate among the top 5 worst coaching jobs in the last 15 years at Minnesota, much less the worst in 40 plus seasons.

Exactly - and all of the underachieving seasons listed above were by teams made up of entire rosters that those coaches had recruited themselves. If we are still getting these results two years from now , then it will be time to have this conversation.

Bull, I think Pitino actually coached very well this season. With the lack of depth, several players out of position and the inability of the seniors to finish out games. The coach did learn a lot and I am sure there are many things he would have done differently, but to call it the worst coaching job is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bull, I think Pitino actually coached very well this season. With the lack of depth, several players out of position and the inability of the seniors to finish out games. The coach did learn a lot and I am sure there are many things he would have done differently, but to call it the worst coaching job is a joke. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. As much as Pat hated Tubby, he never went this far with him. He just had this even greater, extreme hatred of people he views as "salesman" much like Brewster. Maybe he just got screwed on his last car purchase.

N

I would take 8-10 and winning an ncaa tournament game over not making the nit.

N I would take 8-10 and winning an ncaa tournament game over not making the nit.

It's all relative. It's tough arguing that team wasn't far more talented than that. They were ranked #8 in the country for awhile.

Not saying THAT was the worst job since 1970, just that we've had let down seasons like this before. I'd be curious what things Pat wrote about Tubby at that time.

Pitino did a bad job this year. Reusse may be engaging in hyperbole. Gopherhole is extremely hyperbolic.

Pitino did a bad job this year. Reusse may be engaging in hyperbole. Gopherhole is extremely hyperbolic.

Does that mean we get to make his salary and have a potentially national platform too?

I like Reusse, but an it's overstatement to say it was that bad. Still, that doesn't change the fact this team underperformed. Underperforming teams happen. Can live with that. What amuses me is when the narrative changes ("the talent wasn't that good") after the fact. Our personnel, experience, and don't forget schedule demanded better than a 6-12 record and a feeble 1st-day appearance in the BTT (1 of the bottom 4).

I like Reusse, but an it's overstatement to say it was that bad. Still, that doesn't change the fact this team underperformed. Underperforming teams happen. Can live with that. What amuses me is when the narrative changes ("the talent wasn't that good") after the fact. Our personnel, experience, and don't forget schedule demanded better than a 6-12 record and a feeble 1st-day appearance in the BTT (1 of the bottom 4).

Perfectly stated, except for the I like reusse part :)

Top Bottom