Jerry Kill Q&A: 'We got fundamentally better in a lot of areas'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Q: What were you pleased with from spring drills?

A: We are trying to gain depth. We evaluate our personnel for 15 days. We had some guys we needed to step up and do some good things. We identified some guys who can help us depth-wise. We also felt like we got fundamentally better in a lot of areas. We spent a lot of time on technique. And you always experiment with a few things. You can’t experiment on Aug. 1. If you are going to experiment, you have to do it in the spring.

Q: Who were some of the players who stepped up?

A: We needed to get our junior-college kids going. Ace Rogers is a guy from Iowa Western, a big safety, good-looking dude, we needed him to get a lot of reps this spring. He got that. We need him to build depth in our secondary. We didn’t play our starting secondary in the spring game because I think they are as good as anybody. We played Craig James a bunch, a freshman. Jalen Myrick played a bunch for us last year and is a very good athlete. He did well. (Adekunle) Ayinde at safety who kind of came out of nowhere, a walk-on from Blaine who kept getting better. And a guy who I think will have a breakout year next season is Hank Ekpe, Scott’s brother. Hank had an unbelievable spring. We knew he had the talent but turned the light bulb on, like David Cobb (did a few years ago). I think he’ll be the guy who runs 4.6 who reminds me a lot of the two kids we played at Missouri (defensive ends Shane Ray and Markus Golden), just a little bit bigger. He really stood out.

http://btn.com/2015/04/17/jerry-kill-qa-we-got-fundamentally-better-in-a-lot-of-areas/

Go Gophers!!

per BTN:

Q: What were you pleased with from spring drills?

A: We are trying to gain depth. We evaluate our personnel for 15 days. We had some guys we needed to step up and do some good things. We identified some guys who can help us depth-wise. We also felt like we got fundamentally better in a lot of areas. We spent a lot of time on technique. And you always experiment with a few things. You can’t experiment on Aug. 1. If you are going to experiment, you have to do it in the spring.

Q: Who were some of the players who stepped up?

A: We needed to get our junior-college kids going. Ace Rogers is a guy from Iowa Western, a big safety, good-looking dude, we needed him to get a lot of reps this spring. He got that. We need him to build depth in our secondary. We didn’t play our starting secondary in the spring game because I think they are as good as anybody. We played Craig James a bunch, a freshman. Jalen Myrick played a bunch for us last year and is a very good athlete. He did well. (Adekunle) Ayinde at safety who kind of came out of nowhere, a walk-on from Blaine who kept getting better. And a guy who I think will have a breakout year next season is Hank Ekpe, Scott’s brother. Hank had an unbelievable spring. We knew he had the talent but turned the light bulb on, like David Cobb (did a few years ago). I think he’ll be the guy who runs 4.6 who reminds me a lot of the two kids we played at Missouri (defensive ends Shane Ray and Markus Golden), just a little bit bigger. He really stood out.

http://btn.com/2015/04/17/jerry-kill-qa-we-got-fundamentally-better-in-a-lot-of-areas/

Go Gophers!!

Love the reference to David Cobb. Kill often compares current to past players. Will be fun to watch those comparisons more and more being with Gophers.

Top Bottom