Say it Aint so: I will miss my first EVER TCF Bank Stadium Gopher game this year

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later and it looks like this year is the year: I will likely miss my first ever TCF Bank Stadium Gopher game, on homecoming no less. My son has a HS football game that day. My bar had always been set between youth sports and HS in terms of the family stuff I was willing to miss for the Gophers. I've missed some youth football and hockey. But I won't miss a HS game for one of my kids. Ironically he has never had a Thursday or Saturday HS game before (non playoff, anyway) and now for his senior season he has two Saturday games and a Thursday game. Sept 26 is the only conflict.

The game is still listed as TBD but given it is Homecoming, I know B1G homecomings seem to always be 11:00 AM starts and my son's game is at 1:00. Sucks. I literally don't remember what to do to get rid of my tickets. It will take a miracle homecoming night game at TCF to save me.

Luckily that is the only conflict (well, I am almost scared to cross reference my younger son's hockey schedule with the Gophers now that he has moved on to HS hockey. Hopefully there won't be an early season Sat game conflict with the Gophers).

This will be the first home game I have missed since the NDSU game in 2007, for my Aunt's funeral.

Who else out there will carry the torch of "never missed a game in TCF Bank Stadium?"

^ you do realize some people on GH will seriously question your fan loyalty and suggest you don't bother being a fan at all. Probably should have kept this one to yourself and hoped nobody noticed.

YOU-RE-DEAD-TO-ME-asdf-movie-30180010-476-282.jpg

Kids come first. Always.
However.... if you don't know what to do with those tickets, i'm sure they'll look almost as good in my pocket as they would in yours ;)

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later and it looks like this year is the year: I will likely miss my first ever TCF Bank Stadium Gopher game, on homecoming no less. My son has a HS football game that day. My bar had always been set between youth sports and HS in terms of the family stuff I was willing to miss for the Gophers. I've missed some youth football and hockey. But I won't miss a HS game for one of my kids. Ironically he has never had a Thursday or Saturday HS game before (non playoff, anyway) and now for his senior season he has two Saturday games and a Thursday game. Sept 26 is the only conflict.

The game is still listed as TBD but given it is Homecoming, I know B1G homecomings seem to always be 11:00 AM starts and my son's game is at 1:00. Sucks. I literally don't remember what to do to get rid of my tickets. It will take a miracle homecoming night game at TCF to save me.

Luckily that is the only conflict (well, I am almost scared to cross reference my younger son's hockey schedule with the Gophers now that he has moved on to HS hockey. Hopefully there won't be an early season Sat game conflict with the Gophers).

This will be the first home game I have missed since the NDSU game in 2007, for my Aunt's funeral.

Who else out there will carry the torch of "never missed a game in TCF Bank Stadium?"

My home streak remains in intact since missing the 10-9 win over NDSU, I think that was 2006. I've missed my share of weddings but no one I was "that" close to. Girlfriend tried getting me to miss a game the day after her birthday last year to hang out with the family. I didn't fall for it, although could be part of the reason she is now and ex-girlfriend.

There will come a day when I have to miss a home game, I won't like it but it is inevitable. I'll just make it up with an extra road game that year.

I missed my first ever game at the Bank this year when we played SJSU. It took a funeral to do it.

I had to drop my season tickets a couple of years ago since both my boys play, and at this age all the games are on Saturdays.

So, depending on how many you have, and I can work it out, I'd take them off your hands as long as you don't gouge me!

Girlfriend tried getting me to miss a game the day after her birthday last year to hang out with the family. I didn't fall for it, although could be part of the reason she is now and ex-girlfriend.

Man, I respect you!

Tim Riggins, If a girlfriend expects you to miss a Gopher game to mix with her family...Goodbye bitch.

Tim Riggins, If a girlfriend expects you to miss a Gopher game to mix with her family...Goodbye bitch.

And I saw her family the night before!

Apparently skipping an hour and a half of tailgating wasn't enough for her.

I think it's a no-brainer to watch your son's game -- you're doing the right thing. The wrong thing was to start a thread on GopherHole about it. :cool:

Threw out my back last year and missed one of the non-conference games.

A very hard decision but decided possibility of having to leave in an ambulance was too much.

If you can't get there don't go. We don't need cheap-ass losers like you. Oh, sorry Schnauzer. Wrong thread... :eek:

Well, well, well! I had very much assumed the Gopher homecoming game would be at 11:00 AM. My son's HS football game that day is at 1:00 PM. With those two bits of information I had assumed I would be missing my first Gopher football game in TCF Bank Stadium, and my first Gopher home game since 2007. But, with the news the homecoming game will be at 2:30, I will be able to go! I may miss somewhere between a quarter and a half of the Gopher game but I will be there!

But now the bad news... my other son will be in his first season of high school hockey next year and it is looking like there will be a conflict for a November Gopher home game and a HS hockey road trip hotel/event planned to play northern MN teams on the same weekend. I may be screwed anyway. I knew these types of conflicts would come but it still hurts when they do. I absolutely HATE missing tailgate and Gopher football. Hoping for another miracle like the 2:30 kickoff for Ohio.

Say it Aint so: I will miss my first EVER TCF Bank Stadium Gopher game this ...

Someone in my extended family wants to pay for everyone to go somewhere for Thanksgiving.

While I appreciate the gesture, I'm gonna have to take a hard pass. It's gonna take a lot more for me to miss this badger game.

Well, well, well! I had very much assumed the Gopher homecoming game would be at 11:00 AM. My son's HS football game that day is at 1:00 PM. With those two bits of information I had assumed I would be missing my first Gopher football game in TCF Bank Stadium, and my first Gopher home game since 2007. But, with the news the homecoming game will be at 2:30, I will be able to go! I may miss somewhere between a quarter and a half of the Gopher game but I will be there!

But now the bad news... my other son will be in his first season of high school hockey next year and it is looking like there will be a conflict for a November Gopher home game and a HS hockey road trip hotel/event planned to play northern MN teams on the same weekend. I may be screwed anyway. I knew these types of conflicts would come but it still hurts when they do. I absolutely HATE missing tailgate and Gopher football. Hoping for another miracle like the 2:30 kickoff for Ohio.

Damned kids always interfere with priorities. :cry:

Agree with Gopher028, UU, and BigGopherFan.

Schnauzer,

You'll survive. Depending on the scheduling, I've missed up to 3 games to attend my kids youth sports. You only have one chance to watch them grow up and play, but the Gophers will be around forever. They can't move or be contracted. I'm guessing you'll be shocked at how easily you'll adapt.

Kudos for being one of the rare die hards! It's a good time to be a Goph fball fan b/c things are looking up!

I am getting the hard sell on Halloween this year. "What, you are going to miss Halloween with the kids?". I'd like to hear some opinions from others with little ones on that.

I am getting the hard sell on Halloween this year. "What, you are going to miss Halloween with the kids?". I'd like to hear some opinions from others with little ones on that.

Hire someone to play you in costume. No one will ever know the difference.

Hire someone to play you in costume. No one will ever know the difference.

Well, that's hard to top but you could bring them to the game. That's what I always did with my kid. Then again, it never occurred to me tikited's idea or I'm sure I would have done it.

I have missed some youth sports events to attend Gopher games but I would never miss a HS game. Missing a youth hockey game, when there are 40+ of them is one thing, but I take my own parents example as they never missed ONE of my high school athletic events. I won't either. They are too precious.

Buy a giant bag of assorted candy, take some pictures with the kids in the costume and call it good.
I despise Halloween and always won that argument.

I think there is value in teaching youth that sometime dad, mom, or both can't be there because there may be a day that we're not. I also think a vast majority of people support their children tremendously.

If you lay that groundwork early and on occasion, they adapt nicely and will be better prepared.

Everyone's situation is different and interpreted differently dependent on their beliefs, upbringing, etc.

Bottom line (just my opinion) ......... Halloween is stupid so you should go.

Buy a giant bag of assorted candy, take some pictures with the kids in the costume and call it good.
I despise Halloween and always won that argument.

I think there is value in teaching youth that sometime dad, mom, or both can't be there because there may be a day that we're not. I also think a vast majority of people support their children tremendously.

If you lay that groundwork early and on occasion, they adapt nicely and will be better prepared.

Everyone's situation is different and interpreted differently dependent on their beliefs, upbringing, etc.

Bottom line (just my opinion) ......... Halloween is stupid so you should go.

Yes, stupid for sure. In fact it's so stupid that witches can't have children because their husbands have Hollow Weenies!

Halloween is a non-event. Go to the Gopher Game. I did vs MI-St and I will this year too. The kids don't care as long as they can still go get their candy. There are many family events I have/would put before CFB, but Halloween doesn't even come close to making that list. That is, of course, assuming there is someone else available to take them out T or T'ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom