Potential new 3rd quarter song

I almost completely agree with oak street except for the part about it having to be a hip hop song in the last two years. Any song that gets the students on their feet and dancing will work.

Agreed. Probably something within the past 30 years. However....the important thing is that the song is both recognizable and most of all....energetic.

I almost completely agree with oak street except for the part about it having to be a hip hop song in the last two years. Any song that gets the students on their feet and dancing will work.

Land of 10,000 lakes....land of 1000 dances. Sounds good to me. I would venture to guess every college kid has seen the movie " The Great Outdoors "

I'm not big on using the flavor of the week. I wish we'd pick a song that's more of a classic and people get really jazzed up about. 'Jump Around' is the perfect example. I'm 44 y/o and enjoy it as much as a kid who's 17 y/o. On the other hand, 'What does the fox say' absolutely blows and has no staying power.

The absolute best song possible imo, would be 'Let's go crazy' by Prince. That into...."Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get to this thing called life" would have everyone in the stadium chanting along and then when it finally breaks into the actual song the place would 'go crazy'. It'd be our thing, it'd be Minnesota-centric. It'd be recognizable to the fans over 22 y/o. Hell, maybe we could even get Prince to come perform it at halftime of a Nationally televised 7pm game?

If not that song, something like 'OPP', 'It's tricky', 'Bring tha noise' or 'Hey Ya' would be decent 'classic rap' alternatives to get everyone fired up. Or maybe go rock anthem instead, with 'Hey ho' by the Ramones? Something catchy, easy to sing along to and that gets people revved up.

Also, I'd love to see the Replacements get worked into the fun somehow. Not necessarily as our 3rd quarter song, but it'd be fun to watch the stadium sing the chorus to 'Waitress in the sky' or 'Skyway' as part of building a Minnesota-centric tradition.

I agree Prince would be a good homegrown choice. But the Mats would be awesomer. I was at their reunion concert at Midway last fall, and it was incredible listening to the whole crowd singing the chorus to "Satisfied".

I will never stop arguing it needs to be Prince, Let's go Crazy. I don't care about the logistics, somehow that needs to happen. IMO the song and the origin of the artist make it a no brainier.

This is obviously the best idea, but Prince is going to be Prince and never let it happen.

Land of 10,000 lakes....land of 1000 dances. Sounds good to me. I would venture to guess every college kid has seen the movie " The Great Outdoors "

As a college senior right now, I had never heard of this movie until reading this post. But maybe others have.

As a college senior right now, I had never heard of this movie until reading this post. But maybe others have.

Are you familiar with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd? You can by a dvd of it for about 3.00
It's an all time classic comedy. The song "Land of a thousand dances "is played at the end.

This is obviously the best idea, but Prince is going to be Prince and never let it happen.

We need NT to find out the one thing that could sway him. Maybe if Goldy wore some of those sun glasses he has with the lens for his third eye? Or we put the symbol he was formerly known as on the field somewhere?

Thanks for the movie, Nate! I think about that steak scene every time I eat one that is a little bigger than I anticipated.

Are you familiar with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd? You can by a dvd of it for about 3.00
It's an all time classic comedy. The song "Land of a thousand dances "is played at the end.
Your surprise surprises me. I'll point to Ski U Master's dates above.
I wonder if half of the kids in college even own a single DVD.

Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Cypress Hill - Rap Superstar
DMX - Ruff Ryders Anthem
Ice Cube - Check Yo Self
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
The Who - Baba O'Riley

Sabotage would be sweet

Thanks for the movie, Nate! I think about that steak scene every time I eat one that is a little bigger than I anticipated.

Your surprise surprises me. I'll point to Ski U Master's dates above.
I wonder if half of the kids in college even own a single DVD.

Half of the U enrollment would be about 21,000. Our daughter is finishing up her 4th year.
Many of her friends have DVD's that they have burned off the net

I love Do The Gopher for the 3rd quarter break. It's familiar enough in format so that people have started anticipating it, but it's also easily adaptable to different songs. Pretty easy to see who Gopher marketing is gearing this toward (STUDENTS) by the songs they choose (songs that are almost always in are noted with an asterisk):
R Kelly - Bump 'N' Grind (1993)*
Avicii - Levels (2013)*
Sugar Hill Gang - Apache (1981, although became popular with the recent generations due to a Fresh Prince of Bel Air episode in 1995)
Psy - Gangnam Style (2012)
DJ Kool - Clear My Throat (1997)*
Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation (1999)*

Also have seen these songs in the Do The Gopher segment on youtube vids:
Calvin Harris - Summer (2014)
DJ Khaled - All I Do Is Win (2010)
DJ Snake and Lil Jon - Turn Down For What (2013)
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us (2012)
Ylvis - The Fox (2013)

As we used to shout at the crappy bands in the bar.."Play something you know".:cool02:

I'm familiar with both actors and I've seen a handful of movies with each of them, and I also know Land of 1000 Dances, played it in pep band a lot in high school, but the U pep band doesn't have it. I just hadn't heard of this movie in particular I guess.

As an aside, I watched a movie with Dan Aykroyd in it a few months back called Christmas with the Cranks. It's pretty bad, but kind of funny in how weird the concept is. Basically Tim Allen's family decides to forgo celebrating Christmas one year, and his weird, unintentionally cult-like neighbors constantly give him crap about it and eventually guilt them into celebrating Christmas.

Also I agree with those who said Sabotage would be a cool song to play.

I am on board with everyone that says Prince's Lets Go Crazy. It doesn't have to be something new, in-fact the flavor of the month songs make me want to gag on my own vomit. Look at Sweet Caroline (stadiums and happening bars everywhere). The kids could change it up and sing lets go Cray Cray? lol i dunno. This one just makes too much sense to me.

Hey Hey we're the Gophers
People say we Gopher around
But we're too busy scoring
To.... ..... ..... ....

:cheer:

Hey Hey we're the Gophers
People say we Gopher around
But we're too busy scoring
To.... ..... ..... ....

:cheer:

A stretch, but made me lol 19. Don't understand the marketing to the students. They don't pay the rent. Like the Prince song.

It's not marking to the students to play music that makes hot young co-eds get up and grind for the Jumbo-Tron. That's marketing to dirty old men who pay all the bills.

It's not marking to the students to play music that makes hot young co-eds get up and grind for the Jumbo-Tron. That's marketing to dirty old men who pay all the bills.

As opposed to dirty young men who get drunk too early?:cool02:

A stretch, but made me lol 19. Don't understand the marketing to the students. They don't pay the rent. Like the Prince song.

Need to market to all the customers/age groups, but if you want a full participation sing-along, you need to play something the older ones can relate to. Has to be simple, and well known chorus that everyone can relate to.

Why is the video not setting up?

Shout by the Isley brothers or uptown funk by mark ronson

Top Bottom