Potential new 3rd quarter song

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
This one has some potential. Need to keep an eye on it. I could see them using just a portion at the end, say from 3:02 to the end.

Good chance that this one reaches it's peak too early in the summer and is played out by the time football rolls around, but I would put it in the mix.

This is a catchy tune. I caught my pops tapping his foot to it the other day. I could see it get worked in as you suggested.

I'm not big on using the flavor of the week. I wish we'd pick a song that's more of a classic and people get really jazzed up about. 'Jump Around' is the perfect example. I'm 44 y/o and enjoy it as much as a kid who's 17 y/o. On the other hand, 'What does the fox say' absolutely blows and has no staying power.

The absolute best song possible imo, would be 'Let's go crazy' by Prince. That into...."Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get to this thing called life" would have everyone in the stadium chanting along and then when it finally breaks into the actual song the place would 'go crazy'. It'd be our thing, it'd be Minnesota-centric. It'd be recognizable to the fans over 22 y/o. Hell, maybe we could even get Prince to come perform it at halftime of a Nationally televised 7pm game?

If not that song, something like 'OPP', 'It's tricky', 'Bring tha noise' or 'Hey Ya' would be decent 'classic rap' alternatives to get everyone fired up. Or maybe go rock anthem instead, with 'Hey ho' by the Ramones? Something catchy, easy to sing along to and that gets people revved up.

Also, I'd love to see the Replacements get worked into the fun somehow. Not necessarily as our 3rd quarter song, but it'd be fun to watch the stadium sing the chorus to 'Waitress in the sky' or 'Skyway' as part of building a Minnesota-centric tradition.

This one has some potential. Need to keep an eye on it. I could see them using just a portion at the end, say from 3:02 to the end.

Good chance that this one reaches it's peak too early in the summer and is played out by the time football rolls around, but I would put it in the mix.

I know all he!! is going to break loose when I say this but everyone could wave their football ticket statement/invoices while Norwood talks about the facility needs on the jumbo ;-)

That song is hideous.

I've said it once...I'll say it again...this would be an awesome third-quarter song:

I will never stop arguing it needs to be Prince, Let's go Crazy. I don't care about the logistics, somehow that needs to happen. IMO the song and the origin of the artist make it a no brainier.

I will never stop arguing it needs to be Prince, Let's go Crazy. I don't care about the logistics, somehow that needs to happen. IMO the song and the origin of the artist make it a no brainier.

Agreed.

I'm also in the camp of picking a song and sticking with it for a long time. You have to start somewhere.

Although I do like this song, even if it is pretty simple.

Can we change the title of this thread to 'Whats Your Favorite Song'?

I've always thought Beethoven's Fifth worked well for a sing along.

Wilson Pickett...Land of 1000 dances
Your love is lifting me higher...Jackie Wilson
Shout...Eisley Brothers
Nobody....Human Benz.
I Can Help...Billy Swan4Swan
Walk on Life. ..Dire Straits
Time Won't Let Me...The Outsiders
Got my Mind set on you....George Harrison
The Madison Blues... George Thurogood
End of the Line...Traveling Wilburys.
Disco Inferno....The Trammps.
Summary..play something everyone can get involved in. The average age of the Gopher crowd isn't
18 years old!! Why the fu-k do you think commercials usemusic from the 60's, 70's, and 80's? The new wave crap is about as useful as tits on a bore. JHC....wake the " f " up!!!

Shout...Eisley Brothers
Nobody....Human Benz.
Summary..play something everyone can get involved in. The average age of the Gopher crowd isn't
18 years old!! Why the fu-k do you think commercials usemusic from the 60's, 70's, and 80's? The new wave crap is about as useful as tits on a bore. JHC....wake the " f " up!!!
The 3rd quarter song break is for people that actually get excited, aka the students. The geriatrics on the 50 yard line wouldn't make any noise even if they played some rowdy ragtime classics from their youth.

Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Cypress Hill - Rap Superstar
DMX - Ruff Ryders Anthem
Ice Cube - Check Yo Self
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
The Who - Baba O'Riley

I'd say commission Prince to do a new "Do The Gopher!" tune.

This may be too generational but those of us a little older hold this movie in pretty high esteem; and gopher.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rbQgaHZOFZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is why we need to do a new "Do The Gopher!" revival as a signature song for when we start winning B1G titles, and eventually national championships.

Shout...Eisley Brothers
Nobody....Human Benz.

Correct: All you have to do is look at how well Sweet Caroline has been accepted everywhere, and Build Me Up Buttercup...in Wisconsin. Needs to be a 'catchy' tune that is a good sing along from that era.

The 3rd quarter song break is for people that actually get excited, aka the students. The geriatrics on the 50 yard line wouldn't make any noise even if they played some rowdy ragtime classics from their youth.

We're talking about one or two songs to involve the masses. There are many tunes at games for all ages. You see the young ones singing along to an old classic, but you don't see the grown-ups singing along to top 40. Sorry if you don't like the good stuff.:)

How'd I do Ruppert?...............hey, can we change an old CCR tune from Mary to Proud Goldy? (though I do prefer the Spiral Staircase version)

Embarrassing.

Our songs / cheers need to come from band / students. Not the whoppers in the marketing dept or that bell end announcer.

CCR singing. Proud Gopher...

Great suggestion, 19.

Correct: All you have to do is look at how well Sweet Caroline has been accepted everywhere, and Build Me Up Buttercup...in Wisconsin. Needs to be a 'catchy' tune that is a good sing along from that era.

We're talking about one or two songs to involve the masses. There are many tunes at games for all ages. You see the young ones singing along to an old classic, but you don't see the grown-ups singing along to top 40. Sorry if you don't like the good stuff.:)

How'd I do Ruppert?...............hey, can we change an old CCR tune from Mary to Proud Goldy? (though I do prefer the Spiral Staircase version)

Great job 19!!. Case in point. At my daughter's wedding last fall in Luck, Wisconsin they had a DJ come in. He started playing some of the current top 40 and you can't dance to that sh-t, or even understand
what they're saying. There were maybe 4-5 young couples out there dancing. I went up to him and gave him 20 bucks and a list of 6 songs ranging from the 60's-80's. The first one was "Land of 1000 dances" by Wilson Pickett. The whole crowd got up. My daughter and her husband are 30 years old
About 250 guests and 75 % of them were under 40. Hell, they even packed the floor to Speedy Gonzales! You tell me...THe DJ was about in his mid 20's. It took him 6 songs to figure it out.

I like it when ruppert reminds us that he's the smartest person in the room. (Not that I disagree with your overall point.)

I still think Let's Go Crazy is a natural fit and an outstanding song.

I like it when ruppert reminds us that he's the smartest person in the room. (Not that I disagree with your overall point.)

I still think Let's Go Crazy is a natural fit and an outstanding song.

The music at the 3rd Quarter break should only be aimed at the students and anyone else that still has some emotional connection to being 18-30. The energy generated by that group is what makes the music at the break unique. The congregation point under the large scoreboards by the beer lines was a secondary area of energy during this event that was lost unfortunately due to the temporary bleachers.

Otherwise, it does not matter whether a bunch of blue hairs stop eating their ice cream or wondering is they missed the HorseS##T kiss cam that needs to be banished forever happen to look up for a moment because they remember a "land of 1000 dances" from 1958. This music needs to be hip hop music from the last two years or so in most cases.

Good lord, I am closer to 50 than 20 but some of these suggestions are absurd since half the regular ticket holders do not even know any "special" music is even played after the third quarter. Some probably are already gone so they can catch the 5PM news and avoid traffic.

The music at the 3rd Quarter break should only be aimed at the students and anyone else that still has some emotional connection to being 18-30. The energy generated by that group is what makes the music at the break unique. The congregation point under the large scoreboards by the beer lines was a secondary area of energy during this event that was lost unfortunately due to the temporary bleachers.

Otherwise, it does not matter whether a bunch of blue hairs stop eating their ice cream or wondering is they missed the HorseS##T kiss cam that needs to be banished forever happen to look up for a moment because they remember a "land of 1000 dances" from 1958. This music needs to be hip hop music from the last two years or so in most cases.

Good lord, I am closer to 50 than 20 but some of these suggestions are absurd since half the regular ticket holders do not even know any "special" music is even played after the third quarter. Some probably are already gone so they can catch the 5PM news and avoid traffic.

So you're 36?

Land of 1000 dances was recorded in 1966 by Wilson Pickett. You sir don't have any concept of what
the fans will react too. Actually you're probably tone deaf.

Land of 1000 dances was recorded in 1966 by Wilson Pickett. You sir don't have any concept of what
the fans will react too. Actually you're probably tone deaf.

I almost completely agree with oak street except for the part about it having to be a hip hop song in the last two years. Any song that gets the students on their feet and dancing will work.

Top Bottom