Eliason says there was a “lack of communication” between he and Pitino

There is nothing Reusse enjoys more than poking Gopher fans in the eye. It's getting old.

The problem is he's not just poking fans. He drives public opinion as a writer for a major publication and when he spews hyperbolic nonsense like this he can turn away the potential average fan and the donors. As soon as that happens facilities stay crappy, fans aren't interested, and recruits don't care. Then we fire the coach and wonder why nothing changes.

It would be one thing if all he was doing was "poking fans in the eye" but he has so much more power than that and uses it to hurt the program as much as he possibly can. But he holds his head high because he thinks being negative at every opportunity means he's not a homer.

In the Reusse piece, this is the quote by EE that stood out to me:
“I tried to continue to be a leader in practice. [Assistants] Dan McHale, Ben Johnson, they thanked me for that. EE points out that he got positive feedback from the assistant coaches, but did not receive the same feedback from the head coach.

reading between the lines, it just sounds like there was no communication between Pitino and EE. Others on here feel it was up to EE to go to the coach and ask why he wasn't playing more. But, as Reusse said, one can also question the way Pitino dealt with a 5th-yr senior who by all accounts was a good student and a good representative for the program. My personal feeling is this: if you are going to, for all practical purposes, bench a former starter and 5th-yr senior, you owe it to that player to sit down and explain the situation to him. Apparently, Pitino never did that.

It could be a personality conflict; it could be that EE was a Tubby recuit; it could be a lot of things. But, I just hate to see a senior end his career like that. EE was never going to be a big scorer, and like everyone else, I didn't like his complaining to refs after every call, but he still made some contributions to this program with defense, rebounding and shot-blocking.

In the Reusse piece, this is the quote by EE that stood out to me:
“I tried to continue to be a leader in practice. [Assistants] Dan McHale, Ben Johnson, they thanked me for that. EE points out that he got positive feedback from the assistant coaches, but did not receive the same feedback from the head coach.

reading between the lines, it just sounds like there was no communication between Pitino and EE. Others on here feel it was up to EE to go to the coach and ask why he wasn't playing more. But, as Reusse said, one can also question the way Pitino dealt with a 5th-yr senior who by all accounts was a good student and a good representative for the program. My personal feeling is this: if you are going to, for all practical purposes, bench a former starter and 5th-yr senior, you owe it to that player to sit down and explain the situation to him. Apparently, Pitino never did that.

It could be a personality conflict; it could be that EE was a Tubby recuit; it could be a lot of things. But, I just hate to see a senior end his career like that. EE was never going to be a big scorer, and like everyone else, I didn't like his complaining to refs after every call, but he still made some contributions to this program with defense, rebounding and shot-blocking.

EE sealed his own fate with boneheaded decisions on the court, slow feet on both offense and defense, and the ability to whine like a Jr. Higher.
Pitino simply had enough of it and when it was clear that the season was a wash, he went with other players. The worst thing a player wants is for the coach to stop yelling at you. If that happens...it means he's given up on you. Sadly, EE worked himself into a position where the coach stopped caring about teaching an old dog new tricks.

Did we watch the same Eliason this year? The time he did put on the court wasn't exactly positive. Of course, he was in the game at the end against St. John's...remember how that went?

Coach works with these players every day. Coach knows more about this than anyone here (yourself included). If Coach felt he should be playing more, he would've been playing more. Not hard to figure out.

didn't really want to bump this old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one for a trivial matter.

i just noticed that the NDSU Bison have Spencer Eliason on their roster- 6'9" 235# redshirt freshman from Chadron Ne.

that is all- carry on

The Gopher season ended after the Bison season. Progress!

Top Bottom