STrib: If Williams is option 1A at tailback for Gophers, Smith is 1B

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Rodrick Williams appeared to solidify himself as the Gophers' No. 1 tailback this spring, but this probably won't be a David Cobb situation, where Williams takes over and gets 24 carries per game.

I think the Gophers will look for a solid 1B to complement Williams as the 1A, and from what I gathered, the 1B is clearly Rodney Smith. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith emerge as the lead option by midseason.

Berkley Edwards is in the mix, but he's definitely the third option behind Williams and Smith. Jeff Jones would be right in the mix, but the Gophers have fallen in love with him as a receiver. He worked in the slot this spring, and Kill said he'd even like to get Jones some work as an outside receiver, too.

The Gophers also have three incoming freshman running backs this summer -- Shannon Brooks (from Jasper, Ga.), Jonathan Femi-Cole (Vaughan, Ont.) and James Johannesson (Fargo, N.D.). The coaches like all three of them, but if I had to bet, I think Brooks has the best chance to play this fall.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/299892851.html

Go Gophers!!

Definitely agree with Joe C here. The biggest thing out of this article is that Kill likes Smith's ability to pass block. That means he'll trust him come this fall. It's great to see Rodrick slimmed down and quicker, but he's still just not as good of an all-around back that Cobb was, the type of guy you can't bring off the field. Rodrick will get his opportunities but Smith seems like the perfect compliment initially and has more of an upside long-term. He just needs experience.

I expect to see a number of KOs and punts housed this year whether by the stable of exciting RBs or by DBs. This is going to be an exciting team to cheer for this year.

I expect to see a number of KOs and punts housed this year whether by the stable of exciting RBs or by DBs. This is going to be an exciting team to cheer for this year.

Who was the last gopher to house a punt return? Marcus Sherels? It seems like it's been so long I can't even remember. I'm sure there has been someone more recently that I'm not thinking of. Marcus Jones at NMSU maybe?

Who was the last gopher to house a punt return? Marcus Sherels? It seems like it's been so long I can't even remember. I'm sure there has been someone more recently that I'm not thinking of. Marcus Jones at NMSU maybe?

Yes.

no huddle means more touches for this stable of stallions: hunt for Gold October

Fans are going to be disappointed with how few touches Jeff Jones gets this fall. While we're at it, you can add to that list Holland, Gentry, and Gant.

Few if any at RB certainly, and I know they're getting him snaps at WR this spring, but my instincts tell me once the games roll around we'll be seeing Maye, Wolitarsky and probably Eric Carter out there as our primary 3 WRs.

Fans are going to be disappointed with how few touches Jeff Jones gets this fall. While we're at it, you can add to that list Holland, Gentry, and Gant.

Few if any at RB certainly, and I know they're getting him snaps at WR this spring, but my instincts tell me once the games roll around we'll be seeing Maye, Wolitarsky and probably Eric Carter out there as our primary 3 WRs.

I agree. I've been surprised with how sure people were about what an impact Jones would make as a Freshman (or whatever his technical status is this coming season). This is his first year, he is a good player, and he will have time to contribute, but I would be surprised to see him as one of our highest producers this season (whether at receiver or running back).

i agree. The guys they have a comfort level with get the touches. Perhaps they will open it up after we smacked by TCU out of the gate.

I agree. I've been surprised with how sure people were about what an impact Jones would make as a Freshman (or whatever his technical status is this coming season). This is his first year, he is a good player, and he will have time to contribute, but I would be surprised to see him as one of our highest producers this season (whether at receiver or running back).

Hopefully we get up big on some of our NC opponents so some of our guys (Jeff Jones, Holland, Gant & others) get some good snaps in.

Top Bottom