All Things Colorado State Road Trip Game: Travel Info, Best Bars, Itineraries, Plans

4 spots just opened up for the 4:30 New Belgium tour on Friday...get them before they're gone!

EDIT: they didn't last long...already gone

Recommended hole in the wall restaurant: Dam Good Tacos - in Old Town. Just rated one of the 11 essential restaurants in Fort Collins. If walking through Old Town, it's across the street from The Mayor of Old Town (tap house)

I'll be spending Friday at Rocky Mountain National Park. I'll probably have dinner in that area before heading back to Fort Collins. Anyone know any good restaurants in that area?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Per the University, the entire allotment has been sold! 2,700 tickets. I imagine quite a few more in the stands. Going to be a great trip!!!

I'll be spending Friday at Rocky Mountain National Park. I'll probably have dinner in that area before heading back to Fort Collins. Anyone know any good restaurants in that area?

You can eat at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. It's a cool place and you don't have to be staying there to dine.

In Loveland (30 minutes east), we like Henry's in the downtown area.

Hey RamSack- couple of questions for you. I'm staying at the Super 8 on the other side of town (looks like about 8 miles from the stadium). What is the best option for me to get to the game, assuming I don't want to drive? Is Uber an option? Is there any type of shuttle service from Old Town? How is gameday traffic in the couple hours leading up to kick?

Any help would be appreciated- thank you!

Per the University, the entire allotment has been sold! 2,700 tickets. I imagine quite a few more in the stands. Going to be a great trip!!!

this is great!

just checked out the Dam Good Tacos website (http://damgoodtacos.com/) looks pretty good, reminds me a little of Rusty Taco here in MN. Close location to the Best Western Univ Inn where i'm staying.

Hey RamSack- couple of questions for you. I'm staying at the Super 8 on the other side of town (looks like about 8 miles from the stadium). What is the best option for me to get to the game, assuming I don't want to drive? Is Uber an option? Is there any type of shuttle service from Old Town? How is gameday traffic in the couple hours leading up to kick?

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Uber.

CSU does have free shuttles to and from the game starting 3 hours prior to kickoff. The buses leave the campus area so you'd have to figure out how to get there. If you want to drink, just get a cab to the campus area. The bus info can be found here: Select "Ram Express". http://www.csurams.com/aboutcsu/gamedayguide.html

Fort Collins also has a bus system which has a route that goes right by your hotel. The buses are clean and efficient (per my wife). Here's the link. http://www.ridetransfort.com/

http://uberfortcollins.com/

You can eat at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. It's a cool place and you don't have to be staying there to dine.

In Loveland (30 minutes east), we like Henry's in the downtown area.

I would also second the Stanley Hotel suggestion. It's a little pricey, but very much worth it. It's historic and famous backdrop for a couple movies (Dumb & Dumber and The Shining).

The experience is similar to what you would find at the St James in Red Wing.

Well we made it! Balls to the Walls 14-hour drive yesterday from Rochester to Fort Collins. Arrived at 9:30 MST last night at our Best Western on campus. We had time to stretch our legs and walk a few blocks to "The Mayor of Old Town" bar. They had 100 beers on tap. Needless to say, my brother and I had to sample the local fare. As many trips go, the first person we talked to (the bartender) was from White Bear Lake, and then we immediately met a guy from Detroit Lakes (who worked at the Zorbaz there for many years). Seems like no matter where you go, you meet people from MN! Our plan is to head up to Estes Park take in some sights, etc. We also plan on going to the party at Washington's bar. Hope to see many of you at the tailgate before the game.

Well we made it! Balls to the Walls 14-hour drive yesterday from Rochester to Fort Collins. Arrived at 9:30 MST last night at our Best Western on campus. We had time to stretch our legs and walk a few blocks to "The Mayor of Old Town" bar. They had 100 beers on tap. Needless to say, my brother and I had to sample the local fare. As many trips go, the first person we talked to (the bartender) was from White Bear Lake, and then we immediately met a guy from Detroit Lakes (who worked at the Zorbaz there for many years). Seems like no matter where you go, you meet people from MN! Our plan is to head up to Estes Park take in some sights, etc. We also plan on going to the party at Washington's bar. Hope to see many of you at the tailgate before the game.
I know Joey Zaza from the DL Zorbaz! Great guy - I keep telling myself I have to get to Mayor of Old Town.

The Stanley Hotel sounds great, I think I'll go there if I go there with my wife. But since I'm going with my brother. Penelope's Burgers seems like it might be good.

We are staying at the Armstrong (arriving tomorrow) and I believe our plan is to go hiking in Estes Park area tomorrow during the day and relax in Old Town on Friday night. Really looking forward to this trip and it should be a great football game as well.

From our Q&A with RamNation.com:

GH: A lot of Gopher fans are expecting to make the trip to Fort Collins. What are 2-3 "must do" activities and places to eat/grab a few beers in the area?

RN: Hughes Stadium is set right at the foothills and on the other side of the mountain is Horsetooth Reservoir, which is worth taking a drive through to see. Lory State Park is northwest of town and offers great hiking.

Fort Collins is also home to more than two dozen microbreweries, including New Belgium Brewery (which is the fourth largest micro-brewery in the nation and maker of Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat). It is definitely worth taking the time to tour if you’re a beer drinker. Here’s a list of other breweries to see in the area:
http://fortcollinsbreweryguide.com/breweries.aspx

Old Town Fort Collins (northeast of campus) has great bars, breweries, and restaurants (including Sonny Lubick’s Steakhouse). On the west side of campus, CB & Potts is probably the most popular spot for out-of-town fans coming into games due to its CSU feel and memorabilia. But there are a lot of great restaurants and bars to choose from.

You might as well also drive through campus and take a peek at the freshly graded earth where the new on-campus football stadium will be built and open for play by 2017. There is an official ceremony taking place the morning of the game. The site is on the southwest side of campus, on the northwest corner of Pitkin Drive and Whitcomb Street.

GH: What can Gopher fans expect of the CSU game day experience? Any special traditions that Gopher fans should pay special attention to?

RN: Hughes Stadium is three miles west of campus against the foothills and not near much of anything else. So, there’s wide-open parking (will cost you $10). Most alumni park and tailgate on the south side of the stadium while most students and recent grads park and tailgate on the east side of the stadium. So, park wherever you please depending on what kind of vibe you’re looking for. If bringing kids, take them to “Ram Town” on the southeast corner of the stadium. There’s food, games, inflatables, and more.

CSU football isn’t known for having a lot of great game day traditions. One to be aware of is the very loud cannon (named “Comatose”), which fires during the National Anthem and after every CSU score. If walking on the south concourse during the game make sure to cover your ears if the Rams score!

The large “A” painted on the side of the mountain stands for “Aggies”, which was the university’s mascot up until 1959 when the school changed from Colorado A&M to Colorado State University. (Colorado A&M is also how CSU’s mascot “CAM” got his name.) The “A” on the mountainside made its first appearance in 1923 as a form of school pride, and a group of freshmen were charged with painting it each year. Today it is still painted each fall, not just for tradition but because the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires it to be seen from the air as a land marker for planes.

Inside the stadium, there’s not a lot of interesting things to see. But, if you walk through the west concourse, you’ll see a collage of various key moments and wins in CSU football history adorning the walls and columns. Oh, and like TCF Bank Stadium, CSU’s Hughes Stadium is one of a handful of college stadiums that serves beer.

Lastly, the stadium is made up of three parts. The general population and alumni typically sit in the reserved seats on the west side, as well as the north end zone. (Visiting fans typically sit in Section H, I, and the north end zone seats.) The east stands is general admission, designated for students.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/552638?referrer_id=388419

I didn't see exactly where the official tailgate is, it looks from the map like it's toward the south side of the stadium. I guess it won't be hard to find?

So question for the Rams fans: I didn't do enough homework and brought a charcoal grill. What type of enforcement do they have on this? Do they also enforce the no glass bottle rule?

So question for the Rams fans: I didn't do enough homework and brought a charcoal grill. What type of enforcement do they have on this? Do they also enforce the no glass bottle rule?

I've never had them say anything to me about my charcoal grill, but I tailgate in the donor lot so they might look the other way more often...Idk. Increase your odds of not getting hassled by tailgating in the south lot (where the students aren't). To get to the South lot, take Drake west all the way to Overland Trail Road, then head north, then west on the first left toward the dam.

They will hassle you about glass bottles to the point of you not being able to drink. Just go buy some plastic cups and pour your bottle into your cup as soon as you open it.

I've never had them say anything to me about my charcoal grill, but I tailgate in the donor lot so they might look the other way more often...Idk. Increase your odds of not getting hassled by tailgating in the south lot (where the students aren't). To get to the South lot, take Drake west all the way to Overland Trail Road, then head north, then west on the first left toward the dam.

They will hassle you about glass bottles to the point of you not being able to drink. Just go buy some plastic cups and pour your bottle into your cup as soon as you open it.

Great, thanks for the info! We were planning on going to the South lot anyway, so this just might work.

Any recommendations near Old Town tonight. Hope to see a lot of maroon and gold

Any recommendations near Old Town tonight. Hope to see a lot of maroon and gold

I thought I saw in this thread or another that a number of Gopher fans were going to be at Washington's.

Washingtons is the place for tonight. What are people doing for parking at the game tomorrow? I am coming from the Hilton on prospect. Thanks!

Is Washingtons where the Sota Social is? What time? Just checked in to hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washingtons is the place for tonight. What are people doing for parking at the game tomorrow? I am coming from the Hilton on prospect. Thanks!

I think one of the orange lots on the south end of the stadium is where most Gopher fans are headed. We will have a modest tailgate set up with a maroon pickup and tan tent. Forgot to mention earlier, it's my wife's b-day tomorrow so stop by for cake and champagne, along with brats and other beverages. Hope to see maroon and gold out on the town tonight!

Just got off the phone with a friend who live in Fort Collins. She and her friends went to Washington's Bar and said the place was full of U of M folks. Crazy atmosphere Cathy says... Go Gophers.

Anybody have a good guess as to how many Gopher fans will be there? Really wish I could've made it. Sounds like we'll have a good representation.

Washingtons was packed with gopher fans. Packed.

Washingtons was packed with gopher fans. Packed.

The alumni association had the first floor, second floor and balcony reserved and they were packed full of Gopher fans. Should be a fun atmosphere tomorrow.

I ate ate dinner at Penelope's Burgers in Estes Park. Not fancy, but good burgers. I han lunch at a Thai restaurant in Estes Park, the Pho was good.

Spent a lot of time at Rocky Mountain National Park. Walking uphill on a trail at 12,000+ feet was pretty rough, but it's been a good trip.

Top Bottom