All Things Colorado State Road Trip Game: Travel Info, Best Bars, Itineraries, Plans

Thank you Sonny! You painted a great picture of the game day experience and I really want to make it to this game.

Just lurking here, thought I'd answer some questions:

Tickets- This game will probably sell out, but probably the week of the game. There's usually a good selection of tickets on StubHub. You'll also see scalpers on gameday. The scalper scene isn't very sophisticated, you don't have the professionals with bluetooth headsets on every corner, it's usually just a normal person trying to unload extras. Pro- you can get a good deal, Con- you have to walk around a little bit to find a seller.

Location- There is nothing near the stadium, so your hotel's location doesn't matter in that regard. The morning of the game, don't be tricked into thinking "It's only 3 miles away!". The stadium is up against a dam and only has two entrance points from one road. Give yourself plenty of time.

It also might be a late arriving crowd because we're having a groundbreaking ceremony for our new on-campus stadium before the game, so keep that in mind.

Tailgate- Alcohol is allowed, but you have to get a wrist band. You'll see little shacks throughout the parking lot where you get your ID checked and they give you a wrist band. It's a pain and stupid, but it's best just to get it done right away. Sometimes old looking people can get away with not having a wrist band, it's really up to the mood of the cop. Your Minnesota gear will also buy you a little leeway from them.

Glass bottles are not allowed. Make sure you have solo cups if you have beer in glass bottles. If you have hard stuff, make sure it's in a flask, or duck into your car to mix drinks. I've seen cops make people pour out full bottles of whiskey.

Weed is legal in Colorado, but you can't spoke it in public places. You'll still smell people partaking in it, but do so at your own risk. The cops in the parking lot are mounted on horses and have a great view of the scene. It is very easy to get busted and the cops have nothing better to do.

Corn hole, ladder ball, and those types of games are allowed. Beer pong, flip cup, and those types of games aren't allowed.

There is a church that gives out burgers, hotdogs, chips and pop (soda?) as part of their community outreach. They're in the East parking lot, look for a huge plume of smoke.

Game- Security is pretty lax, so sneaking booze into the game is pretty easy. No pat downs or anything. Your seats are pretty good in the September. The weather should be pretty hot and you'll get a good amount of shade. (UV is more intense up here, bring sunblock!) The stadium isn't very big, so it has great sight lines. If you want to buy some food, or if you are a female who needs to use the bathroom.... good luck.

Beer is sold in the stadium. You'll need a wristband if you didn't get one in the parking lot. The wristband stations are right next to the beer stations.

Our fans are pretty good for the most part. You will have a couple a-holes who weren't raised correctly and think "being a good fan" and "home field advantage" means being a jerk to opposing fans. I apologize in advance on their behalf.

Folks who might have PTSD: there is a loud cannon that fires from the southeast corner for the opening kickoff and after touchdowns.

Post-Game- Again, there's nothing to do at the stadium or nearby. Head to Old Town to drown your sorrows :)

I hope you all have fun! I had a lot of fun meeting Gopher fans the last time you all came out and it's kind of a bummer that this game didn't get pushed back a couple years so you could see our new digs in 2017. Maybe another home-and-home is in order.

Welp, we should only hear that once then ! :cool:

bought my tickets today directly through CSU, so excited to take my sons to an out of town game, driving in from south dakota and looking forward to spending time in CO.

Today I booked flights for me and my soccer loving girlfriend. We are staying in Old Town at a cool looking old hotel. I'm not sure if she will join me for the game yet (it would be her first) but it's going to be fun! If you see a guy in a old Gophers 88 Jersey, say hello ?

bought tickets. wife and I will drive out through the Nebraska Sandhills, do a loop through Rocky Mountain National Park, stay in Fort Collins Friday night, hit Old Town. Signed up for gopher tailgate Saturday. Start drive home after the game. gophersports saleswoman said the U has about a 1,000 of its allotment left.

Today I booked flights for me and my soccer loving girlfriend. We are staying in Old Town at a cool looking old hotel. I'm not sure if she will join me for the game yet (it would be her first) but it's going to be fun! If you see a guy in a old Gophers 88 Jersey, say hello ?
If you are in Fort Collins on Friday, you could take in a soccer game vs. Northwestern.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Looks like some good deals on flights are still available:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

We're all booked for the trip. Ended up paying $284 RT with Southwest MSP>DEN. Also, booked a 2BR condo on AIR BNB near old town. Walking distance to most everything. Including the shuttle to the stadium. Everyone going to the 'Sota Social Friday night at the Wash Bar?

Hey Sonny, thanks for the great post about the game day experience. Do you know anything about catching the shuttle to the stadium from the CSU Transit hub? I presume this would be a free shuttle.

Anybody know when the U will mail CSU tix?

I suppose there will be a lot of Gopher fans on the Frontier flight Friday morning. Maybe we can make the flight a Gold Out.

I'll have Friday pretty much free, I'm considering visiting Rocky Mountain National Park for a day trip.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Anybody know when the U will mail CSU tix?

Unsure, but it sounds like they are still waiting from their ticket allotment from CSU as I just received this email this morning:

gophtix.JPG

Attachments

• gophtix.JPG
    gophtix.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 20

I hope the ticket office gets the tickets out soon. I am leaving the morning after the tcu game to start the trip.

I Am leaving that Friday also. I talked to the ticket office as was told they were mailed on Wednesday.

got the tickets today but not that pregame tailgate passes. anybody get the tailgate passes yet or know how they are handling that?

GoT my tickets today also. It's the goal line club taigate and they usually just have a check in roster at the entrance

Just booked my flight yesterday- $148 on Frontier.

Saturday AM 5:30
Sunday PM 8:55

what is the layout of the stadium? got my tix, section I, row 49, wondering what kind of view this is going to be

What's the deal with the "coffee shops"? Are they every where?

Thanks DLW. The ticket office confirmed your info regarding the tailgate.

Our hotel in Old Town has free bicycle usage. Hoping to pedal to Sonny Lubbock.

Top Bottom