Tyus Jones declares for NBA

So did I miss the NBA adding another 5-10 teams this year? Just wondering who all these early entry players are hoping to drafted by... I just get the feeling that a lot of these kids dreams are going to get crushed and it sure would have been nice for them to play a few more years in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. People forget this about these guys: Even the kids that get bounced from the NBA can spend 10-15 years in Europe making well over 6 figures a year playing ball. A lot of those leagues give guys full salary plus housing and food stipends. And thanks to Stern there are major leagues in not just Europe but in the Middle East, Asia and South America these days. I doubt these kids will feel too crappy about their choice when they're making $150k as 19 year olds

I don't mind most players leaving early, it makes the top teams less dominant and it allows senior dominated mid majors a chance to make final four runs: George Mason, VCU, butler-twice. I love underdogs.

Tyus is going to be a really good player in the NBA. I'd take him over Rubio of the Wolves. The only issue is whether he can defend NBA guards. My guess is that he will learn it.

He's gotta want to defend them. He hasn't really had to play defense his entire career because he's always been incredible on offense. Now he'll need to become a complete player on both sides of the ball.

He's gotta want to defend them. He hasn't really had to play defense his entire career because he's always been incredible on offense. Now he'll need to become a complete player on both sides of the ball.

Thats true for 90% of NBA rookies. Also with the quality of PG play and the hand check rules along with the pace and space and pick and roll style, nobody can guard anyone. There are about 15-20 PGs in the league right now that are essentially unguardable anyway. He needs to play good team D and be at least competent on D and he'll be fine there. The question is can he get to the rim in the league and can he shoot well enough

Thats true for 90% of NBA rookies. Also with the quality of PG play and the hand check rules along with the pace and space and pick and roll style, nobody can guard anyone. There are about 15-20 PGs in the league right now that are essentially unguardable anyway. He needs to play good team D and be at least competent on D and he'll be fine there. The question is can he get to the rim in the league and can he shoot well enough

The team D part is where basketball IQ comes into play. Ask Jim Peterson, Cheryl Reeves, Lindsay Whalen or Seimone Augustus about Tyus' basketball IQ. You don't have to, Andrew Lawrence from SI did.

SI Article on Tyus & the Lynx

The endorsements from all these people about his basketball sense could move him up a few places.

He'd have to have some pretty poor measurements at the combine to slip to the 2nd.

He'd have to have some pretty poor measurements at the combine to slip to the 2nd.

He can still choose to return to school if he has a poor combine right? I thought Ralph Sampson did something similar back in the day where he participated in the events to see how he would stack up.

He can still choose to return to school if he has a poor combine right? I thought Ralph Sampson did something similar back in the day where he participated in the events to see how he would stack up.

He can withdraw before June 15 if he hasn't signed with an agent - I'm not sure whether that's already happened or not.

“@DWolfsonKSTP: Source says Tyus Jones is expected to sign w/ agent Rob Pelinka. He reps Kobe, Harden, etc. Tyus took pitches from many big-time agents.”

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/28791466/photos-twins-home-opener-2015 - Twins game video with KG and Hunter

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/27/nb...il-okafor-justise-winslow-timberwolves-knicks #18 SI

Even if Houston re-signs Patrick Beverley when he enters unrestricted free agency this summer, it should jump at the chance to add a skilled point guard who can complement James Harden and buoy reserve units. Jones’ advanced skill set and composure should make for a smooth transition from Duke to the NBA.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft #20 NBADraftNet

If the Spurs have a first round pick i predict he wont slip past them.

Minneapolis-St. Paul basketball fans will follow the draft not only because of the Wolves but also to learn the fate of Tyus Jones and Rashad Vaughn, two Minnesota natives who were high school players only a year ago. Jones, the former Apple Valley point guard, has known Saunders for years. The Wolves, though, are stocked with young point guards in Ricky Rubio and Zach LaVine, and it’s unlikely Jones will land here.

Jeff Goodman, the ESPN analyst, spoke about Jones last Thursday during the NBA Draft Combine. He expressed doubt Jones could start for a playoff team but might be a “backup point guard for 10 to 12 years.”

Vaughn, who played at Robbinsdale Cooper before finishing his prep career in Las Vegas, is more likely to be drafted by the Wolves. The team needs shooters and has two second round draft choices. Vaughn, a shooting guard, was the Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year, and he is projected as a second rounder in next month’s draft. He averaged 17.8 points per game to lead UNLV in scoring last season.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

NBADraft Vaughn going at the first pick of the 2nd to the Wolves. I have a feeling he will sneak into the end of the 1st myself.

Jones slips back to where he ~ was before the nat. title at #25.

Vaughn's game reminds me a lot of OJ Mayo... That's what I see him being in the NBA. An option to put up a lot of shots off the bench.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Someone asked Goodman about Vaughn on Twitter and this was his response. The Wolves should stay away from Vaughn. They already have a better, more athletic version of him in Shabazz Muhammad.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Someone asked Goodman about Vaughn on Twitter and this was his response. The Wolves should stay away from Vaughn. They already have a better, more athletic version of him in Shabazz Muhammad.

I'd like him at pick 31 to the Timberwolves.

ESPN and SI both have Vaughn going in the 20's right now. Not really important but interesting that the buzz for him is 1st round

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves package their two 2nd rounders to move up into the 1st to pick someone that interests them (Tyus?)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves package their two 2nd rounders to move up into the 1st to pick someone that interests them (Tyus?)

I don't think they would go after Tyus. Already have Rubio and LaVine

I'd be shocked if they don't do this, or at least trade away their two second round picks for some other package. A team as young as the Wolves does not need to take TWO second rounders this year.

Tyus would be a nice addition as Levine is not a PG and doesn't project to be.. he projects as a good scorer, nothing else.

Tyus is getting more buzz for the late teens. I'm guessing 2 2nds won't get you that high. That said I'm all for that type of move.

Tyus would be an excellent choice to backup Rubio. The Wolves could give up a future year lottery protected 1st round pick to move back up. This should be a playoff team in two years.

Top Bottom