Tyus Jones declares for NBA

Stan

Reaction score
So two of the "Big 3" are one and done.

Not a surprise. Duke's spring break ended March 15 (weekend of the ACC Tournament), and ever since Duke won the title Tyus has been seen running around the country doing all kinds of different functions. But I'm sure he's been going to class this whole time while he was pondering his future because, you know, at Duke students actually go to class and take finals!

Good for him, though. The man is clutch cargo in pressure situations. I doubt many Minnesotans who followed his HS career are surprised by what he did in his one year at Duke. He's a winner. Somehow Pitino needs to get the Gopher program to the point where staying home is at least an option for the truly elite Minnesota kids.

Somehow Pitino needs to get the Gopher program to the point where staying home is at least an option for the truly elite Minnesota kids.

Travis was a blow, he was the one we had the best shot at and would have really helped the program.

Not a surprise. Duke's spring break ended March 15 (weekend of the ACC Tournament), and ever since Duke won the title Tyus has been seen running around the country doing all kinds of different functions. But I'm sure he's been going to class this whole time while he was pondering his future because, you know, at Duke students actually go to class and take finals!

Good for him, though. The man is clutch cargo in pressure situations. I doubt many Minnesotans who followed his HS career are surprised by what he did in his one year at Duke. He's a winner. Somehow Pitino needs to get the Gopher program to the point where staying home is at least an option for the truly elite Minnesota kids.

It seems like such a pipe dream at the present time, but it was a legitimate option not so very long ago - as recently as Pryzbilla and Rickert, who were both top 10 recruits, and Royce White, who was top 20.

Tyus is going to be a really good player in the NBA. I'd take him over Rubio of the Wolves. The only issue is whether he can defend NBA guards. My guess is that he will learn it.

At first glance , this seems like it maybe isn't a great decision as Tyus would very likely be a higher lottery pick a year from now. But leaving now means he has a good chance to be picked later in the first round by teams with much better personnel. Maybe not best for getting the most $ right now , but better for his career in the long run.

At first glance , this seems like it maybe isn't a great decision as Tyus would very likely be a higher lottery pick a year from now. But leaving now means he has a good chance to be picked later in the first round by teams with much better personnel. Maybe not best for getting the most $ right now , but better for his career in the long run.

You're about the only person I've seen hold that opinion. The only 'skill' question on him is his shooting which is ok but not great right now. The big negatives for him are size and athleticism and none of that is changing much in a year so he's likely not going to improve his stock. Also he's really a pass first PG and would be playing with diminished supporting cast and would be the focal point of opposing D's for an entire year. His stock is about as high as it's going to get at this point

The important thing is to get the clock started to free agency.

I never looked at it that way.
He would/could have raised his stock by staying but that's a good point.

Good luck to that young man

You're about the only person I've seen hold that opinion

I never listen to PA, but got in the car and he had Kevin Lynch on so I listened for a second. Classic PA was arguing if Tyus came back to school for one more year he would be the #1 pick in the 2016 draft. Lynch strongly disagreed and PA was convinced if not #1 pick he would still be a lotto pick.

I don't see him jumping into the top #10 with another year under his belt. He slotted at pick around pick 17, which is $1,395,400 x 3 years guaranteed… Not bad.

It will interesting to see if he can be more than a middle of the pack PG... I'd guess he'll be top 15ish and have a solid career.

You're about the only person I've seen hold that opinion. The only 'skill' question on him is his shooting which is ok but not great right now. The big negatives for him are size and athleticism and none of that is changing much in a year so he's likely not going to improve his stock. Also he's really a pass first PG and would be playing with diminished supporting cast and would be the focal point of opposing D's for an entire year. His stock is about as high as it's going to get at this point

I believe that based on the sheer number and quality of the underclassmen declaring early this year. His stock maybe wouldn't be higher next year , but the competition in the lottery is likely to be less also.

You guys are much higher on him than I am. I think his stock is as high as it will ever be. I don't see him every being a top 25 pg in the league. I have been wrong before and I wish him the best of luck.

Tyus the unathletic wonderking

Other college guards that were questioned about not being athletic enough to be productive NBA players:
Stephon Curry
Steve Nash
Jeff Teauge
Kirk Hinrich
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

Now there are tons of good college players who werent athletic and they didnt have good NBA careers. On this list there is enough skill and intangibles to make up for that and I believe Tyus has showed that. He plays biggest in big games.

You guys are much higher on him than I am. I think his stock is as high as it will ever be. I don't see him every being a top 25 pg in the league. I have been wrong before and I wish him the best of luck.

Other college guards that were questioned about not being athletic enough to be productive NBA players:
Stephon Curry
Steve Nash
Jeff Teauge
Kirk Hinrich
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

Now there are tons of good college players who werent athletic and they didnt have good NBA careers. On this list there is enough skill and intangibles to make up for that and I believe Tyus has showed that. He plays biggest in big games.

+1

I think it's a good call by Tyus. I'm not sure what he could have done in one more year at Duke that would elevate his status. I can think of many things that could actually hurt his status. Much of the NBA draft is based on potential. As silly as this sounds with him being only a Freshman, Tyus is about as known of a commodity out there right now.

I believe that based on the sheer number and quality of the underclassmen declaring early this year. His stock maybe wouldn't be higher next year , but the competition in the lottery is likely to be less also.

I don't know enough about the 2016 class yet to know if this is true or not but I suppose it is a possibility. That said I don't think scouts opinion of him will improve much with another year and its hard to imagine him having more buzz. Sure he can improve and become more of a scorer but I don't know if anyone sees him as a high scoring PG in the pros.

The important thing is to get the clock started to free agency.

If he lasts that long in the league. 4 years may be the over/under.

And remember, 2nd round picks don't have guaranteed contracts. I assume he'll go late first round, but that's always a danger.

If he lasts that long in the league. 4 years may be the over/under.

And remember, 2nd round picks don't have guaranteed contracts. I assume he'll go late first round, but that's always a danger.

Nah, he's safe. He'll go in the 20-25 range at worst.

Stephon Curry
Steve Nash
Jeff Teauge
Kirk Hinrich
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

I think you could add John Stockton to that list. One of the best all-time, drafted 16th.

He won a Natty, was the South Regional and Final Four MOP and he's a 1st round lock. He should definitely leave. You can always go back and get a degree.

Stephon Curry
Steve Nash
Jeff Teauge
Kirk Hinrich
Mike Bibby
Andre Miller

Unless I missed it posters are not saying he won't or can't be a productive player in the NBA, it's his athleticism that will keep him from being a lotto pick, wouldn't matter if he came back next year.

BYOB *

* Big Yes On Bold

Also: PA has no idea what he is talking about.

So did I miss the NBA adding another 5-10 teams this year? Just wondering who all these early entry players are hoping to drafted by... I just get the feeling that a lot of these kids dreams are going to get crushed and it sure would have been nice for them to play a few more years in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did I miss the NBA adding another 5-10 teams this year? Just wondering who all these early entry players are hoping to drafted by... I just get the feeling that a lot of these kids dreams are going to get crushed and it sure would have been nice for them to play a few more years in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrison Twins in deep trouble in the draft. Andrew might get drafted in the 2nd round, Aaron likely will be busing it in the D-League.

Top Bottom