STrib: Coaches let players run practice, setting up offseason

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Spring practice has ended. So what now?

The Gophers are back in the weight room already. The coaches have left them on their own to practice until training camp opens Aug. 6. But these captains' practices aren't just a bunch of guys out throwing the ball around. It's an extension of the things they worked on throughout spring practice.

In other words, they'll be out there working on the no-huddle offense, etc. Last Friday, on the day before the spring game, the coaches wanted to see how it would look, so they let the players run practice. The players built their own practice scripts and everything. Mitch Leidner ran the offense. Briean Boddy-Calhoun handled the defensive backs. Jon Christenson, who is rehabbing a leg injury, had a visor on with a sheet of paper filled with practice information, in a tribute to Matt Limegrover.

"They did awesome," coach Jerry Kill said. "Our job is to get those guys so knowledgeable that they could go coach if they wanted to. They need to understand everything."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299694761.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Jon Christenson, who is rehabbing a leg injury, had a visor on with a sheet of paper filled with practice information, in a tribute to Matt Limegrover.

Go Gophers!!

Love the visor! Nice touch.

I'm starting to think we don't need Kill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Joe:

Spring practice has ended. So what now?

The Gophers are back in the weight room already. The coaches have left them on their own to practice until training camp opens Aug. 6. But these captains' practices aren't just a bunch of guys out throwing the ball around. It's an extension of the things they worked on throughout spring practice.

In other words, they'll be out there working on the no-huddle offense, etc. Last Friday, on the day before the spring game, the coaches wanted to see how it would look, so they let the players run practice. The players built their own practice scripts and everything. Mitch Leidner ran the offense. Briean Boddy-Calhoun handled the defensive backs. Jon Christenson, who is rehabbing a leg injury, had a visor on with a sheet of paper filled with practice information, in a tribute to Matt Limegrover.

"They did awesome," coach Jerry Kill said. "Our job is to get those guys so knowledgeable that they could go coach if they wanted to. They need to understand everything."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299694761.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Future graduate assistants?

Christenson is double major Chemistry and Biology. He is looking to Medical School.

Jon Christenson, who is rehabbing a leg injury, had a visor on with a sheet of paper filled with practice information, in a tribute to Matt Limegrover.

Ah, crap. I hope Christenson is prepared to handle all of the guys on GH who actually think they know more about running a BIG offense. Predicting someone will bitch that the captains' practices offense is too vanilla.

Ah, crap. I hope Christenson is prepared to handle all of the guys on GH who actually think they know more about running a BIG offense. Predicting someone will bitch that the captains' practices offense is too vanilla.

I've never been a fan of Christenson's substitution patterns in outdoor November games.

I've never been a fan of Christenson's substitution patterns in outdoor November games.

He did brake his leg before calling for a substitution. I like his tough as nails approach to coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom