FSN: 5 takeaways from Gophers spring ball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

This past Saturday's spring game officially meant the conclusion of spring football for the Golden Gophers, who are now in their fifth season with Jerry Kill at the helm. Minnesota now has several months off before getting back into the swing of things this fall to prepare for the 2015 season. While it's sometimes tough to read too much into spring football, here are five takeaways from the Gophers this spring.

1. Mitch Leidner is making progress, but still has work to do.
2. Minnesota is mixing it up with a no-huddle offense.
3. The Gophers are determined to get Jeff Jones the ball.
4. Minnesota's secondary is still the strength of the defense.
5. Recruits are taking notice of the progress.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/5-takeaways-from-minnesota-gophers-spring-ball-041415

Go Gophers!!

No wonder Mitch can't throw a spiral; nobody ever taught him to hold the laces of the ball when throwing. :D

No wonder Mitch can't throw a spiral; nobody ever taught him to hold the laces of the ball when throwing. :D

I agree that Mitch utilizes an unusual grip. But through the years some successful QB's have used some peculiar grips. It appears that the Gophers choose to use the Nike One Vapor football. From looking at it I would hate that ball. There is stitching right where the QB's index finger would be if he did use the laces. Which is right where a QB needs to "feel" the ball if they hope of throw tight spirals (IMHO). From afar my opinion would be to use a different ball. http://www.amazon.com/Nike-1832528-...29038252&sr=1-79&keywords=Nike+Vapor+football

The article says Leidner threw a td pass to Maye in the spring game. Did he????

The article says Leidner threw a td pass to Maye in the spring game. Did he????

I don't remember it. And in #3 they bring up that Jones is a RS Frosh. Its been discussed a couple of times here and I think that it was agreed that he is not exactly a RS Freshmen, although he apparently could play on the field for 4 years if he meets certain academic benchmarks. Not great reporting....

Let's do this for the hundredth time:

Mitch is serviceable so long (and only so long) as he doesn't turn it over.

He has the smallest margin of error of any QB we've had. It's miniscule.

Let's do this for the hundredth time:

Mitch is serviceable so long (and only so long) as he doesn't turn it over.

He has the smallest margin of error of any QB we've had. It's miniscule.

I agree that his margin for error is miniscule. I think that we have had other QB's who were in the same situation as far as margin for error. I remember Gutey talking about how Marquel Fleetwood knew that he had a small margin and played to not make any mistakes. Which Gutey thought led to more mistakes. I think as a team we have been able to garner a larger margin. Last year when we had that FG blocked and run back for a TD (a 10 point swing) at Nebraska I thought that we might have been sunk. But we are now strong enough to overcome serious errors and still win. In the past we would have folded. Jerry Kill has given me hope, which is an awesome feeling!

Quit complaining about Mitch, he has been a more than decent QB. His main problem has been the fumbling, which was one of several problems in the Citrus Bowl.

Mitch L. is not going to be the reason this team does not meet expectations.

One more thing. I thought Streveler looked great, and so did Rhoda. You can't sleep on Streveler if you are an opposing defense because he can burn you with the run. He had a 64(?) yard scamper for a TD. I am disappointed we were unable to see Perra (thumb injury?). The good news: IMHO backup QBs looked vastly improved over last season.

Mitch being able to play decent for the Gophers to win eight games last season allowed the other QBs time to mature and develop without undue pressure. I felt sorry for Marquies Gray because of Brewster's shambles.

It will be awesome if we can "next man up" at QB and have pretty decent backups that can do the job.

The QB and WR positions are probably the hardest to rebuild since Kill took over Brewster.

For the most part we had great special teams play, Maxx, Mitch's dual threat, David Cobb, and good team defense that helped us secure the wins in 2014.

2015 is promising to be something special.

I have never been this excited before for the football season to start for as long as I have been a Gopher fan. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Never ceases to amaze me. Look at the 5 items below that were originally listed by Bleed via FSN:

With the coverage that this team has received over the past 15 years, I read this as an informed opinion, and it paints the team in a positive light.

And what does GH do with this? Turns it into another Mitch Bitch.

Never ceases to amaze me. Look at the 5 items below that were originally listed by Bleed via FSN:

With the coverage that this team has received over the past 15 years, I read this as an informed opinion, and it paints the team in a positive light.

And what does GH do with this? Turns it into another Mitch Bitch.

+1 That's the GopherHole way!

Top Bottom