Glen Mason Tweet!!!

Glen Mason just added some ghost peppers to my chili!

Nice to have the prediction but he isn't really going out on a limb a ton as we should expect to be a factor in the West this season. The West is very balanced and there really isn't anyone that stands out as the clear cut favorite. Especially when you factor in Nebraska and Wisconsin both going through off season coaching changes.

Or you could factor in that we have lost to wisconsin 11 years in a row and to win the west we will more than likely have to beat them since our crossover games are much more difficult than theirs....

This doesn't seem to be that surprising of a prediction. Last year, we were not choking away a double digit lead away from winning the west, and that was with the Wisconsin game being on the road. This year, we get the two other big boys in the west at home, and they are both going to be dealing with new coaches.

I just wanna beat Wisconsin this year. The rest is gravy.

+1

That losing streak has gotten so unacceptably long, it is tough for me to imagine being happy with a season that involves another loss. We have them at home, with a new coach, when we feel like we are as strong as any time in recent memory. This better be the year.

We are a clear cut favorite to win the division. We should expect it. This is a very good team and we do not need other teams to be down to win the division. A very good team getting better. This coaching staff has been amazing and is doing all the right things. Old school. The right way. Super quality kids in the program. So proud of our team.

when mason takes down the W flag then maybe i'll listen. 'but, my daughter went there....but but but' we paid you millions jackass.
Please be kidding, family comes first. And why should Mason owe the Gophers any allegiance? They fired him.

I agree with Great Plains. We are definitely not a clear favorite as others are saying. Until we prove we can beat wisconsin and win the west we will not be the favorites. I'm ok with people being optimistic like diehard and thinking we are the favorites because well the homer in my says hell yeah the gophers will win the west! But in reality, wisconsin will definitely still be the favorite to win the west and we may be tied with nebraska in the odds.

We have less question marks, than either Nebraska and Wisconsin, but a tougher schedule. It evens out making the divison too close to call. I like our chances but I wouldn't call us a favorite.

They both have to play on the road against the best team in their division.

Exactly, whether or not this is a tad facetious the point remains. It is definitely true that our crossover games are tougher, but, we also play the two primary competitors for the division at home. If we can beat them both and manage 4-2 v the remaining tough schedule that would likely do it.

Please be kidding, family comes first. And why should Mason owe the Gophers any allegiance? They fired him.

I agree with you, but was with the group that wanted Mason fired. In hindsight wish he would have had the opportunity to coach at the Stadium he helped get built.

I agree with you, but was with the group that wanted Mason fired. In hindsight wish he would have had the opportunity to coach at the Stadium he helped get built.
I was in the group too, still don't understand why there is so much animosity among fans toward him still.

We are a clear cut favorite to win the division. We should expect it. This is a very good team and we do not need other teams to be down to win the division. A very good team getting better. This coaching staff has been amazing and is doing all the right things. Old school. The right way. Super quality kids in the program. So proud of our team.

Honest question: How many good teams has Minnesota beat with Kill as coach?

I think most of the country would agree that Iowa, Michigan, and Nebraska have not been very good the last two years. Add in the fact that the Gophers lose the two players that were the vast majority of the offense, and I would say that "clear cut favorite to win the division" is a jumping the gun a bit.

I think most of the country would agree that Iowa, Michigan, and Nebraska have not been very good the last two years. Add in the fact that the Gophers lose the two players that were the vast majority of the offense, and I would say that "clear cut favorite to win the division" is a jumping the gun a bit.

Let's review this post next December.

Define "good". Nebraska won 9 games each of the last two seasons and was in the top 25 for virtually all of the 2014 season. They won a bowl game on Jan. 1 after the 2013 season. Minnesota was the only team to beat Nebraska in Lincoln last year. I'll never apologize for either of those wins, particularly beating a top 25 team on the road. Iowa went to bowl games each of the last two seasons.

Define "good". Nebraska won 9 games each of the last two seasons and was in the top 25 for virtually all of the 2014 season. They won a bowl game on Jan. 1 after the 2013 season. Minnesota was the only team to beat Nebraska in Lincoln last year. I'll never apologize for either of those wins, particularly beating a top 25 team on the road. Iowa went to bowl games each of the last two seasons.

I believe what he meant to say was since the Gophers beat these teams, they were by definition not good. It's a bit of a catch twenty two and explains why the Gophers will never beat a good team.

All the hand wringing-hide under the bed fans need to man up. You know who you are. This Gopher team started kicking butt last year and this year will be even more of the same with the defense we have. It starts with TCU.

I believe what he meant to say was since the Gophers beat these teams, they were by definition not good. It's a bit of a catch twenty two and explains why the Gophers will never beat a good team.

I think this is a good point. In college football, there are so few games that a one game swing one way or the other can significantly impact how a team's season looked. Dpod pointed out that Nebraska was a 9 win team each of the last two years, and I think beating a 9 win B1G team is a solid accomplishment. Keeping your comment in mind that the Gophers beating them made them less good, if we had lost those games, Nebraska would have been a 10 win team both years. A 10 win team is certainly a very good team.

I was in the group too, still don't understand why there is so much animosity among fans toward him still.

Agree. Mason has also been a pretty big supporter of Kill. I don't know if I ever heard him say anything negative about the Gophers or Kill last year.

Take a minute to think about winning the West would mean. Granted, you probably do not need to go undefeated to win the division. But it probably means that two or all three of these things happened:

• We beat Nebraska for the third year in a row after not beating them since 1960 -- and not being competitive in any of those games.
  • We won the Jug for the second year in a row after winning it just three times in the previous 45 years.
  • We beat Wisconsin for the first time since 2003 and the third time since 1994.

To even think that's possible, coming from where we've been during my lifetime, is astounding.

Top Bottom