NFL Scout says Gophers prob have 3rd best talent in B1G for 2015, behind OSU & MSU

BleedGopher

Reaction score
NFL Scout says Gophers prob have 3rd best talent in B1G for 2015, behind OSU & MSU

Go Gophers!!

Combine that with the best coaching staff and things are looking bright!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap...read that and let it sink in for a minute. The Gophers could have the best talent in the conference behind the biggest of the big boys. Pretty incredible job by Kill and staff.

The same thing was discussed after our win @ Michigan. Claeys was quoted as saying we won because our talent was better than Michigan's.
I think it's certainly a testament to Kill's approach to recruiting, especially since the majority of these NFL caliber talents were recruited at a point that the program was coming off of a 3 win season and a 6 win season.

Frankly it also should validate the argument that HERE, under Kill, stars certainly don't seem to matter. It's becoming a trend that talent rises to the top HERE regardless of where a website ranked them coming out of HS.

The same thing was discussed after our win @ Michigan. Claeys was quoted as saying we won because our talent was better than Michigan's.
I think it's certainly a testament to Kill's approach to recruiting, especially since the majority of these NFL caliber talents were recruited at a point that the program was coming off of a 3 win season and a 6 win season.

Frankly it also should validate the argument that HERE, under Kill, stars certainly don't seem to matter. It's becoming a trend that talent rises to the top HERE regardless of where a website ranked them coming out of HS.

This is important to note. The seniors on last year's squad came here before Kill had coached a game. While the Minnesota recruits came out of loyalty to the state and school, the outstate players literally had no other D-1 options. And with that team make-up, we won 8 games, including wins over Nebraska, Michigan, and Iowa. Now that we are starting to win regional and national recruiting battles, it will be exciting to see how far we can go.

the outstate players literally had no other D-1 options

Not literally.

Your point is right overall - if our recruiting elevates commensurate with our performance on the field, we will be a consistent force at the top of the Big Ten for as long as Kill is here.

Kill and staff prove that there are some holes in the "experts" evaluation process. They are more concerned identifying the next big names and getting the top 100 right because that is what sells subscriptions. I'm really curious to see how Kill and his staff adapt to having so many early verbals. The SOP has been to use every hour of time to find the best talent they can right up until signing day. We may see a lot of other coaching staffs adopting the "Kill" model.

Pelissero was one of Kill's biggest critics, early on. If I recall correctly, he predicted Kill would never win 8 games in a season.

You are right. I called him on it and he was nice enough to answer me back. But he was Mr. Negative re the Gophers

I just realized we haven't had any stupid strings about the star rankings for a while. Thank you coach for that but what are we going to talk about until fall camp? How about the Gopher football?

Kill and staff prove that there are some holes in the "experts" evaluation process. They are more concerned identifying the next big names and getting the top 100 right because that is what sells subscriptions. I'm really curious to see how Kill and his staff adapt to having so many early verbals. The SOP has been to use every hour of time to find the best talent they can right up until signing day. We may see a lot of other coaching staffs adopting the "Kill" model.

Having 6 verbals at this point is high compared to the previous years under Kill but it is not that unusual from a National standpoint. They still have plenty of spots to fill so I don't think the coaches will have any trouble finding a way to fill their recruiting time all the way up to signing day.

Having 6 verbals at this point is high compared to the previous years under Kill but it is not that unusual from a National standpoint. They still have plenty of spots to fill so I don't think the coaches will have any trouble finding a way to fill their recruiting time all the way up to signing day.

Plus (and i don't mean to be negative because dang this is awesome) a verbal commitment is different than having their name signed on the line. The staff will have to continue to stay in contact with all these early recruits to make sure they don't get flipped. Another good season and winning the west could also do that for the coaching staff.

Strange how Dinardo said the same thing Saturday night and an NFL scout said it 48 hrs later.

Not that I disagree, but I hope this team doesn't let this kind of vacuous speculation go to their heads. A chip on the shoulder goes a long way to maintaining that hard edge.

Plus (and i don't mean to be negative because dang this is awesome) a verbal commitment is different than having their name signed on the line. The staff will have to continue to stay in contact with all these early recruits to make sure they don't get flipped. Another good season and winning the west could also do that for the coaching staff.

alert the media!!!

A 10 win season and JK and staff become hot property to move on outta here.

Seattle's starting lineup had an average star rating of 2.4 as high school prospects, and New England's had 2.3.... Zero 5 star starters

If we think about it is this really news? I (and others) have said for a while that last year we were of equal or better talent than all the West teams we played last year. WI had Gordon which turned the tide (plus our QB had a terrible game) but nobody watching that game could think 'WI is definitely more talented'. We looked more talented flat out than IA, NW, PU (although they had more skill position speed) and IL and personally I thought we were of equal or better talent against Nebraska. Michigan has individual talent but we looked like clearly the better team and PSU is down right now. Really our D looked the part compared to everyone and the only spot we really lacked talent was at WR.

Seattle's starting lineup had an average star rating of 2.4 as high school prospects, and New England's had 2.3.... Zero 5 star starters

I am shocked! (but per dpodoll I would like to see the analysis.)

That Super Bowl stat doesn't mean much. By sheer numbers there are FAR more 3 star and 2 star guys than 4 and 5 star guys. We're basically talking about 300 4 and 5 star guys each year and like 2000 2 and 3 star guys. Most of those starters were 3 star guys from power conference schools meaning most were still well thought of recruits

Looks like they counted NR as 0 when doing the averages.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...riots-seahawks-high-school-recruiting-ratings

[ninja edit]

Somewhat flawed analysis however. When you treat the non-rated players, or those too old as a null value, the average star rating for Seattle is exactly 3.00, NE is 2.947. Treating those previously mentioned players as a 0 star brings Seattle down to 2.478 and NE to 2.435.

gutpunch-o.gif

Top Bottom