Lucia's replacement...

beat bucky

Banned
Reaction score
Just speculating here but, if Don Lucia decided to step down, who would be on your list of coaches to interview- primarily with the goal of improving recruiting and tournament play?
1. Phil Housley. A MN hockey legend who's participated in most levels of hockey here- high school tourney star, US team member, NHL HOFer, St. Paul Vulcan, high school coach and NHL assistant coach at Nashville. Knowledgeable as he is likeable, Housley would have big-time recruiting cred.
2. Tom Ward. Former Gopher player with a coaching history at the St. Paul Vulcans in the critical USHL, as an assistant at Minnesota, and as a head coach in the successful program at Shattuck-St. Marys. Well known and well respected in the local hockey community and closely tied-in to the development programs.
3. Mike Ramsey. Famed Miracle on Icer and former Gopher player with extensive NHL playing and assistant coaching experience at Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit and the Wild. Certainly knows the state of hockey and the game. Not quite as sure about how his leadership and communication skills would translate to recruiting at the college level.
4. Mike Guentzel. Another former Gopher player. Has head coaching experience at 3 important USHL franchises and 20 years of assistant coaching at the U. Knows the program and, ostensibly, its strengths and weaknesses. Is fiery, determined, kind of the anti-Lucia. But one has to wonder...is he part of the problem or part of the solution?
I'd love to see Housley coach the Gophers. But any of these guys could be effective, I think.

Why would he step down?

Go Gophers!!

I didn't ask for ideas from people like yourself BleedGopher. Apparently, you aren't even aware that these questions are being asked WITHIN THE PROGRAM. If you don't believe me, go to GPL, where even the "Lucia right or wrong" moderators have finally come around to the realization that its time a process for a replacement is put in place.
But if you like getting thrashed by your in-state rivals in the tournament, well, as Obama says, "If you like your underachievement, you can keep your underachievement."

I didn't ask for ideas from people like yourself BleedGopher. Apparently, you aren't even aware that these questions are being asked WITHIN THE PROGRAM. If you don't believe me, go to GPL, where even the "Lucia right or wrong" moderators have finally come around to the realization that its time a process for a replacement is put in place.
But if you like getting thrashed by your in-state rivals in the tournament, well, as Obama says, "If you like your underachievement, you can keep your underachievement."

Well that was a bit of an overreaction....

You think I'm overreacting? Go on SiouxSports and see what their fans are saying about Hakstol. He's actually made 7 frozen fours since Lucia last won the NCAAs and, unlike Lucia's Gophers who've been done by 3, 3, and 5 goals in the last four years, his Sioux have been competitive in virtually every loss. Ironically enough, Sioux fans compare him to the Wooger! And many want him gone.
But he has his supporters too. Mostly, the same kind that Lucia has, people who just can't imagine that someone else could do better. Of course, given North Dakota's tradition and recruiting advantages, that's a ridiculous assumption. But for a lack of imagination...

You think I'm overreacting? Go on SiouxSports and see what their fans are saying about Hakstol. He's actually made 7 frozen fours since Lucia last won the NCAAs and, unlike Lucia's Gophers who've been done by 3, 3, and 5 goals in the last four years, his Sioux have been competitive in virtually every loss. Ironically enough, Sioux fans compare him to the Wooger! And many want him gone.
But he has his supporters too. Mostly, the same kind that Lucia has, people who just can't imagine that someone else could do better. Of course, given North Dakota's tradition and recruiting advantages, that's a ridiculous assumption. But for a lack of imagination...

You're overreacting to bleed's question.

Wow.

Go Gophers!!

So for Lucia, anything other than an NCAA title is a participation medal (based on your comments in the other thread), but then you compare Hakstol favorably to Lucia because even though he has never won an NCAA title, he has had a few close losses in the tournament? I saw you chimed in with an "F" on the thread about what grade to give this season. I'll go ahead and give you an "A" for creativity on your Lucia criticisms. Forget moving the goalposts, you can't even decide what sport we are playing.

Please note, I do see that you are also criticizing Hakstol, but I'd take Lucia over him any day of the week.

Sioux fans compare him to the Wooger! And many want him gone.
How is this not disparaging Hakstol? I'm saying that people compare him to the biggest tournament underachiever in Gopher hockey history, Woog. I'm actually quite happy the Sioux AD is willing to stay with that choker. All the better for the Gophers chances.
Now if we could do something about our choker.

Whatever the merits of Housley and Ramsey as potential coaches, there is absolutely no way they would ever be considered, as universities require coaches to have a college degree and Ramsey and Housley have a total of one year of college between them.

Top Bottom