Rashad Vaughn declares for the NBA Draft

Tully55

Reaction score
Las Vegas Review Journal 4/8/2015

Each time a report has surfaced in recent weeks about UNLV freshman guard Rashad Vaughn’s intention to leave school and enter the NBA Draft, Vaughn and his family have been quick to dispute it.

The 6-foot-6-inch finally decided the time had come to share the news himself.

Vaughn posted a video on YouTube on Tuesday explaining his decision, and tweeted the video Wednesday morning.

“Blessed with the time spent here at UNLV but it’s time to follow my dreams,” Vaughn tweeted.

Vaughn, from Minneapolis and Findlay Prep, was a McDonald’s All-American last year. He is projected as a second-round pick, and only first-round picks get guaranteed contracts in the NBA.

His freshman season at UNLV was shortened by a knee injury. Vaughn suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee on Feb. 10, underwent surgery Feb. 18 and returned to on-court workouts at full strength last month.

In a news release sent out by the school on Wednesday afternoon, Vaughn said he will remember his time on campus fondly.

“My experience at UNLV has truly changed my life and helped me become a better player on the floor and a better person off of it,” Vaughn said. “My teammates became brothers and my coaches became family. Everybody supports each other here and there is nothing like being a Runnin’ Rebel. I will always bleed Scarlet and Gray. Since being a kid, my dream has always been to play in the NBA and I have decided to take that next step.”

Vaughn averaged 17.8 points in 23 games for the Rebels, reaching double-figures in scoring 21 times. He shot 38.3 percent (54 of 141) from 3-point range, and his natural scoring ability is what intrigues pro scouts.

“Rashad will always be a Runnin’ Rebel,” UNLV coach Dave Rice said in a news release. “We wish him all the best and we are cheering for him.”

And now Vaughn's handler's time & effort truly pays off. Cha ching!

Probably not a first round draft choice, he's going to have a lot of work to do in the next couple of years to be successful and make it in the NBA, with his injury it really doesn't make a lot of sense to come out in this years draft unless he thinks he will develop faster in the D league.

UNLV is a wreck right now, I don't blame him for getting out

Probably not a first round draft choice, he's going to have a lot of work to do in the next couple of years to be successful and make it in the NBA, with his injury it really doesn't make a lot of sense to come out in this years draft unless he thinks he will develop faster in the D league.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

Will he leapfrog Tyus? Sounds like he really impressed in workouts and the combine.

I guess Vaughn finally one-upped Tyus. Tyus got all of the HS spotlight, went to the blue blood power house college program, and won a National Championship en route to a one and done declaration. But Vaughn got what always mattered most to him, more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

I guess Vaughn finally one-upped Tyus. Tyus got all of the HS spotlight, went to the blue blood power house college program, and won a National Championship en route to a one and done declaration. But Vaughn got what always mattered most to him, more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Tyus gets to be a hometown hero at Target Center while Vaughn gets to play in anonymity in Milwaukee.

Really? Which team was in the playoffs?

Super. That awesome .500 Eastern Conference playoff team had two games broadcast nationally during the regular season (if you consider two games on NBA TV to be national). 80 games on only local television.

Anonymity.

Super. That awesome .500 Eastern Conference playoff team had two games broadcast nationally during the regular season (if you consider two games on NBA TV to be national). 80 games on only local television.

Anonymity.

If Milwaukee is Anonymity, what does that make Minnesota? Longest playoff drought in the whole league...

I would take Minnesota's roster over Milwaukee's in a heartbeat.

Minnesota has a nice nucleus, as they should having had the last three #1 overall picks. They definitely have a lot of potential on the roster. Will have to see how it all plays out. Regardless, I'm pretty bullish on Milwaukee's future. They improved a lot this year and didn't even have Jabari Parker for most of the year.

Vaughn and Milwaukee deserve eachother. It's the joke that keeps on giving.

Both teams have positive outlooks. Obviously one would look favorably at a team that has a stockpile of talent with significant "Upside".

Bucks are a solid 4 man away from being a legitimate team in the East. Kidd has them playing a fun brand of basketball that I actually enjoy watching. If Vaughn can provide offense he is a perfect fit, and that is specifically what Vaughn has shown to be able to do. Now will he buy in and play some defense the way Kidd wants it played? Yet to be seen.

The Wolves have a lot of upside, as Madtown said, they better with three #1 picks on their roster.

Vaughn and Milwaukee deserve eachother. It's the joke that keeps on giving.

Don't get the joke.

Vaughn got drafted in the top 20, he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Final Draft Tally by Conference

B1G guys drafted: D'Angelo Russell (#2), Frank Kaminsky (#9), Sam Dekker (#18), Aaron White (#49), Branden Dawson (#56).

ACC (12)
SEC (10)
Pac 12 (7)
B1G (5)
Big East (2)
Big XII (2)
Mountain West (2)
Atlantic 10 (1)
Big Sky (1)
Colonial (1)
MAC (1)
Ohio Valley (1)
Sun Belt (1)

13 of the 32 Division I conferences had a player drafted.

B1G guys drafted: D'Angelo Russell (#2), Frank Kaminsky (#9), Sam Dekker (#18), Aaron White (#49), Branden Dawson (#56).

ACC (12)
SEC (10)
Pac 12 (7)
B1G (5)
Big East (2)
Big XII (2)
Mountain West (2)
Atlantic 10 (1)
Big Sky (1)
Colonial (1)
MAC (1)
Ohio Valley (1)
Sun Belt (1)

13 of the 32 Division I conferences had a player drafted.

Maybe we shouldn't have been so shocked the Big 12 laid such a big egg in the NCAA I suppose. Everyone said it was the best league in the country, then it got pounded in the tourney and then only TWO players drafted??? Might better explain the "collapse."

Maybe they have some great underclassmen who chose to stay in school.

Don't get the joke.

Vaughn got drafted in the top 20, he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

It'll be a fun 5 years for him until he's out of the NBA and broke because of his mismanagement of the money he will make.

It'll be a fun 5 years for him until he's out of the NBA and broke because of his mismanagement of the money he will make.

I don't think I've ever seen so many generalizations in one sentence.

I don't think I've ever seen so many generalizations in one sentence.

Not really generalizations if you look at how he has managed his high school and college decisions. And the average NBA tenure is 4.8 years, so that's not a huge leap either.

Not really generalizations if you look at how he has managed his high school and college decisions. And the average NBA tenure is 4.8 years, so that's not a huge leap either.

How did he mismanage his high school and college decisions?

Exactly. If his goal was to get drafted in the NBA, I don't know how you could argue with his decisions. He's the only one of the big 3 who didn't leave Minnesota hanging by eliminating us early.

The transfer to Findlay Prep in Las Vegas and the associated move of that assistant coach form Robinsdale Cooper. The perplexing choice of UNLV over Kentucky, Kansas, and others (which is especially surprising given his choice to be a one-and-done, those other schools probably would have given him more exposure). And finally his decision to turn pro coming off of a fairly serious knee injury. If his goal was to maximize his earning power, he wasn't rational about it in his choice to go to UNLV and his decision to turn pro this year. To me this points toward someone who doesn't act in a way consistent with long term objectives.

The transfer to Findlay Prep in Las Vegas and the associated move of that assistant coach form Robinsdale Cooper. The perplexing choice of UNLV over Kentucky, Kansas, and others (which is especially surprising given his choice to be a one-and-done, those other schools probably would have given him more exposure).

More exposure? Three guys that played overseas last year were picked in the top seven. A dude from Murray State went No. 14. Games against Stanford, Temple, Arizona State, Kansas, Arizona, Game tape, combine, individual workouts....every personnel guy in the NBA knew about him.

If his goal was to maximize his earning power, he wasn't rational about it in his choice to go to UNLV and his decision to turn pro this year.

Rookie salaries are slotted. If he got picked higher next year and earned a little more, he'll make up for it by getting his rookie deal out of the way. If the Bucks pick up his fourth year, he'll be 22 years old by the time he gets to year five when other teams are interested. If he's out of the league in three years, it never mattered when he decided to turn pro.

The transfer to Findlay Prep in Las Vegas and the associated move of that assistant coach form Robinsdale Cooper. The perplexing choice of UNLV over Kentucky, Kansas, and others (which is especially surprising given his choice to be a one-and-done, those other schools probably would have given him more exposure). And finally his decision to turn pro coming off of a fairly serious knee injury. If his goal was to maximize his earning power, he wasn't rational about it in his choice to go to UNLV and his decision to turn pro this year. To me this points toward someone who doesn't act in a way consistent with long term objectives.

Sour grapes?

Good for Rashad.

Top Bottom