AP: Amanda Zahui B. declares for WNBA draft

Ouch. When it rains, it pours.

Wonder if Banham will want to rethink her decision (if it's not too late)? Not having ZB as a teammate next season might be all the impetus she'd need to just go ahead and start her pro career, even with the major knee injury. Banham may not play right away, but I'm sure there are a few WNBA (or overseas) teams out there willing to sign her paychecks while she's making her recovery.

Wow, that's crazy. Women players almost never leave early. That's a tough blow if true.

Lol what? Are they even guaranteed any money? What a horrible decision.

A person close to the situation

???

10742268-large.jpg

I just don't see how this makes sense for her long-term.

When does the inevitable backstory come out explaining the real reason she's leaving? It isn't for the millions, I know that.

That really s*its on the Gophers season next year as there isn't another post currently on the roster and none in the incoming recruiting class up to this point.

Wow surprising decision especially when virtually no women players leave early. Don't think she is ready for the WNBA and she could really struggle with turnovers and foul trouble. Getting Banham back is bigger than losing Zahui and I still think next years team will be better than this years was.

She probably figures that should she suffer some horrendous injury which costs her basketball career, then she can go back to Sweden and finish college for free. So in that regard, there is little risk in her move.

Really disappointed though that she is leaving the team, I was really looking forward to next season.

I didn't even know this happened. Bummer. I'm sure this is a good decision somehow. Even if we don't fully understand it.

Wow. I don't think I've ever heard of a woman declaring early, much less a sophomore.

She probably figures that should she suffer some horrendous injury which costs her basketball career, then she can go back to Sweden and finish college for free. So in that regard, there is little risk in her move.

Really disappointed though that she is leaving the team, I was really looking forward to next season.

Yeah, same here. Puts another dagger into - 'what could have been' this year.

Lol what? Are they even guaranteed any money? What a horrible decision.

Women's basketball players make their money overseas. In the offseason, they play in the WNBA.

She'd be 22 years old by the time she wasted next year playing for nothing on the college level. Appears to be a great decision.

Women's basketball players make their money overseas. In the offseason, they play in the WNBA.

She'd be 22 years old by the time she wasted next year playing for nothing on the college level. Appears to be a great decision.

Pretty much this. Maya Moore made 50k in the states and 600k playing in China. Zahui B wont command Moore money overseas, but she could get 200-300k, which is still a nice chunk of cash.

per the U:

University of Minnesota redshirt sophomore center Amanda Zahui B. announced Monday that she plans to enter the WNBA Draft and forego her final two years of collegiate eligibility. Zahui, a first-team All-America selection and Big Ten Player of the Year, will learn her professional fate at the league's draft on April 16.

"We are extremely proud of Amanda and the opportunities that await her professional career," said Gophers head coach Marlene Stollings, who led the team to its first NCAA berth in six years during her first season at the helm. "In just a short amount of time, her maturity and skills advanced greatly, culminating in this incredible opportunity. Our entire staff worked diligently to help Amanda grow both on and off the court resulting in this amazing next step in her life."

The first Associated Press All-America first team selection in Gophers program history, Zahui was also recognized as an All-American by the United States Basketball Writers Association and espnW. The Stockholm, Sweden native became just the sixth Gopher in program history to be named a Wade Trophy Finalist and the first in 10 years, as well as the third Naismith Trophy finalist in program history. Zahui, who earned a spot on the National Ballot for the John R. Wooden Award, was named to the 10-member WBCA All-America Team during Final Four Super Saturday festivities last weekend in Tampa, Fla.

"Over the past few years I've learned a lot about making difficult decisions involving my life, education, and future starting with a major move from my home country to the United States," said Zahui. "Though challenging, that initial decision has proved to be a step in the right direction. I am most grateful for the University of Minnesota and the Golden Gopher basketball program and athletic department for believing in me and welcoming me as I sought to make something great of my life and grooming my talents further. In two years, the University of Minnesota became home. The coaches, university staff, teammates and community have helped me in many ways; I truly want to thank them all. I will forever be a Gopher and will support their continued success."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040615aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Such a gopher thing to have happen. When will it end?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wouldn't this be more of a Kentucky thing to happen? tear em up Zahui!

Arguably the three most NBA-ready Gophers in the last 15 years all left early: Joel Przybilla, Rick Rickert (obviously a mistake) and Kris Humphries.

Go Gophers!!

I didn't think she would leave, but if you critique it, makes sense. As a first round choice she'll earn more than the minimum 50,000.00. Overseas she will make another 200 to 300 thousand. Maybe more in her home country of Sweden. Now Stollings needs to find a post player. What might have been a deep run into the Final Four is now null and void. You don't find a lot of Zahui B's.

I will chalk this up to "Gopher Luck" - leave it to the Gophers to have a standout women's player... leave early. I'm sure it has happened before and I admit to not being a super-close follower of the women's game. That being said, I haven't heard of it before so I will feel sorry for myself and throw out a blanket statement that "Only the Gophers would finally move the needle in NCAA Women's basketball and promptly have their standout sophomore break the mold and leave early."

I didn't even know this happened. Bummer. I'm sure this is a good decision somehow. Even if we don't fully understand it.

Lot of people do understand it: chance to earn several hundred thousand next year; she's already 22; she's seen Banham go down with an ACL; the Olympics aren't that far away and she's been on the Swedish national team. Still, a goddamn kick. I feel about same way as when I experienced some of the other memorable moments in Gopher basketball history like the Ohio State beatdown, Madison, Ganglehoff, Pryzbilla, bailing on Borton, White fiasco, etc. Never frickin' ends and Bucky plays for the national title tonight.

Great, she will be paid less in the WNBA than any job her U of M degree and connections would help her land. I guess the European money is the story here.

I would be shocked if Banham came back now...Why play for an at best .500 B10 squad and miss the NCAA tourney, when she can start her professional career immediately....I was really excited about next year with the two studs....Just another blow to the crotch for Minnesota sports teams...Will it ever end???:rolleyes:

This freakin sucks! Zahui and Banham paired up next year had Sweet 16 and beyond written all over it. Final Four wasn't out of the question either. We'll never know how next season could've gone anymore. Now without a single impactful post player returning, Banham herself isn't enough to make this team NCAA-tournament caliber. Next year is a lost year, so I'd almost rather see Banham declare for the WNBA too at this point.

Top Bottom