All Things 2015 Gopher Women's Basketball Off-Season Thread

Gophers women add two junior college transfers

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/300078571.html

Now that high caliber local talents Kenisha Bell (super quick explosive guard from Kennedy) and Alina Starr (physical guard/ 3 from De La Salle) are returning to Minnesota that is a pretty good sign that Stollings has a great deal of credibility and that something definitely was getting stale and in some way rotten under the former regime.

Kenisha Bells comments come pretty close to all out suggesting there was no way she would have played here under PB.

Big Ten/ACC Challenge:

Wednesday, Dec. 2
Illinois at Miami (Fla.)
Georgia Tech at Indiana
Iowa at Virginia
Syracuse at Maryland
Northwestern at North Carolina
Ohio State at Notre Dame
Wisconsin at Wake Forest

Thursday, Dec. 3
Pittsburgh at Michigan
Louisville at Michigan State
Minnesota at Duke
North Carolina State at Nebraska
Virginia Tech at Penn State
Boston College at Purdue
Rutgers at Florida State

http://btn.com/2015/05/27/matchups-for-2015-big-tenacc-womens-challenge-released/

Go Gophers!!

per the Post Bulletin:

Replacing Zahui B.

First-year Gophers women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings had a hunch 6-5 center Amanda Zahui B. was going to be good. But not 19-points, 13-rebounds and 4-blocks per-game good.

The sophomore's numbers were so staggering that she left Minnesota at the end of the season to go pro, and was the No. 2 overall selection in the WNBA Draft.

"(Zahui B.) was rare," Stollings said. "They don't come around like her very often. I knew she was special, but I couldn't have predicted (this special)."

Zahui B. helped Minnesota to an excellent 23-10 record (11-7 Big Ten) and an NCAA Tournament appearance. It is now Stollings' task to make due without her this coming season.

"We want to be the kind of program that isn't just good for a season, but as we go forward that we continue with high expectations," Stolling said. "I'm hoping for a Final Four. But it's going to take time."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_4e58d71c-d3a0-5871-86e5-2fab58061515.html

Go Gophers!!

Wish AZB was coming back. Really enjoyed watching her. She will have a great pro career.

Have to wonder how much/long she will play in wnba..........with the money being overseas.

Yep, what might have been.

I know they're high on their incoming recruits, but it'll be a struggle to get back to NCAA tourney next season. Post players like her don't fall off trees. Certainly need Banham at full strength, and will need much more attention to detail on the defensive end of the court.

Yep, what might have been.

I know they're high on their incoming recruits, but it'll be a struggle to get back to NCAA tourney next season. Post players like her don't fall off trees. Certainly need Banham at full strength, and will need much more attention to detail on the defensive end of the court.

Who knows, maybe Cunningham has lived in the weight room during spring semester. When I saw her next to AZB during warmups against Purdue, and she was taller than AZB.

No question that AZB was a force - but with a quicker player in the post, I would not be surprised to see Stallings really crank up the tempo. I get the feeling she would have played more up-tempo last year, but didn't have the depth. With Banham back, and (presumably) a quicker post player, I could see the Gophs going something like: 1st option fast break - 2nd option Wagner shoots a 3- 3rd option run half-court offense.

Get to Know: Karley Barnes

Karley Barnes, a 6-foot-3 transfer from Tallahassee Community College, is rated as the No. 3 junior college center nationally by All-Star Girls Report and the No. 5 junior college power forward and No. 10 overall junior college prospect by Collegiate Girls Scouting Report after leading TCC to a 20-11 record as a sophomore last season under head coach Franqua Bedell.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/052815aaa.html

per the STrib:

The Gophers women’s basketball team added 25-year coaching veteran Gail Striegler to its coaching staff, coach Marlene Stollings announced Monday.

Striegler spent the past seven seasons at Long Island University Brooklyn, where she was the winningest coach in school women’s basketball history but was fired in March after a third consecutive losing season.

“It’s exciting to add such a highly accomplished coach and outstanding individual to our program,” Stollings said in a statement. “Coach Gail brings with her a wealth of coaching experience, including a strong passion for the student-athletes and a tireless work ethic.”

Said Striegler: “It is a tremendous honor. … Coach Marlene is one of the most dynamic head coaches in the country.”

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-scene-gophers-add-striegler-to-women-s-hoops-staff/306572861/

Go Gophers!!

Replaces Chmiel

per the STrib:

The Gophers women’s basketball team added 25-year coaching veteran Gail Striegler to its coaching staff, coach Marlene Stollings announced Monday.

Striegler spent the past seven seasons at Long Island University Brooklyn, where she was the winningest coach in school women’s basketball history but was fired in March after a third consecutive losing season.

“It’s exciting to add such a highly accomplished coach and outstanding individual to our program,” Stollings said in a statement. “Coach Gail brings with her a wealth of coaching experience, including a strong passion for the student-athletes and a tireless work ethic.”

Said Striegler: “It is a tremendous honor. … Coach Marlene is one of the most dynamic head coaches in the country.”

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-scene-gophers-add-striegler-to-women-s-hoops-staff/306572861/

Go Gophers!!

Striegler replaces Fred Chmiel. Chmiel joined South Carolina as an assistant. SC lost by one to Notre Dame in the final four. Striegler was 96 and 115 at Long Island.

What's the deal with going to four 10 minute quarters for WBB? What does this accomplish?

What's the deal with going to four 10 minute quarters for WBB? What does this accomplish?

Time outs/commercial breaks without interrupting running game play time would be my guess.

Because they wanted to piss you off and make you lose sleep over this big deal. :)

I believe all other American levels of bb play 4 quarters. Probably a trial run before adopting it for the men.

I mean really, could have gone with 16 16ths.:rolleyes:

I believe all other American levels of bb play 4 quarters. Probably a trial run before adopting it for the men.

Ooooh, now you're onto something. 3 minute Hexadecater's!!!

Time outs/commercial breaks without interrupting running game play time would be my guess.

One less media time out each half (3 media timeouts in the new format), more end of clock fun.

They are also going to 2 free throws on the 5th team foul each quarter, with no 1 and 1. They are also giving the team the option to advance on a timeout after a change of possession in the last minute of the 4th quarter and OT.

Womens Basketball moves to four quarters format

One less media time out each half (3 media timeouts in the new format), more end of clock fun.

They are also going to 2 free throws on the 5th team foul each quarter, with no 1 and 1. They are also giving the team the option to advance on a timeout after a change of possession in the last minute of the 4th quarter and OT.

Womens Basketball moves to four quarters format

Sounds like more steps to make it like the NBA (once they adopt it on the Men's side) to me. Does this mean no defense until the 4th quarter and 5 steps allowed for star players is soon to follow?

Actually, Minnesota high school basketball (boys and girls) plays 2 18-minute halves. That's been in place for years - can't remember when we switched from four quarters.

per GopherSports:

University of Minnesota head women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings today announced that 24-year coaching veteran Nikita Lowry Dawkins has been promoted to associate head coach. Dawkins just completed her first season on the Gopher sideline and has worked on Stollings' staff since 2010.

"I have known Coach Nik for over 20 years and during that time she has been my coach, my colleague and my friend," Stollings said. "Her capacity to multi-task and be highly organized is second to none. Coach Nik is exceptionally gifted in her ability to be creative both on and off the court. Her skill set is unique and it is my privilege to award her the promotion to associate head coach. I commend her sacrifice in helping our journey toward the goal of winning championships and developing tomorrow's leaders. It is an honor to have her as part of our Gopher family."

In her first season at Minnesota, Dawkins helped in the recruitment of Shae Kelley and helped Kelley and Amanda Zahui B. emerge as one of the top front-court duos in program history. The pair combined to score 1,199 of the Gophers' program-record 2,514 total points, which accounted for 48 percent of Minnesota's scoring output. The duo also pulled down 50 percent of the Maroon and Gold's total rebounds, combining for 735 of Minnesota's 1,461 boards.

"It is an absolute pleasure to work in arguably the best women's basketball conference in the country with one of the smartest young minds in the game," Dawkins said. "To have an opportunity to represent a prestigious University while working to make Coach Marlene's vision of turning the Golden Gophers into an elite powerhouse is truly a pleasure. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to work alongside a great visionary and be a part of our quest for National Championships."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060915aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully one of the centers have enough quickness to play the 4.

Stollings has said in the past you might see 4 guards on the floor at the same time.

http://www.kare11.com/story/sports/c...ds-2/25872103/
Incoming:

Juco:
Kynadi Johnson ...6-1 F
Karley Barnes .....6-3 C
Mercedes Jenkins..5-6 PG

Transfers:
Allina Starr ...5-10 G from Auburn ready in Jan. avg 2.5 assists at Auburn, no points noted but 19ppg senior year in HS and 9 asst
Kenisha Bell ...5-9 G from Marquette ...must sit out a year

Freshman
Danielle Garven 5-11 wing
Annalese Lamke 6-3 C
Jessie Edwards 6-3 C Australia

Returning Roster
Mikayla Bailey
Rachel Banham
Josie Buckingham
Joanna Hedstrom
Shayne Mullaney
Carlie Wagner

Supposedly maybe another freshman nobody seems to know...which appears to now be Lamke.
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls...anielle-garven

Comment from early June: Women’s basketball head coach Marlene Stollings’ recruiting class sits at seven right now, with two freshman, two transfers and three junior college players. She said the team “might add a couple more late.” So, now, maybe one more to come? And thats out to be Edwards.

They have 4 centers now...seems Lamke would redshirt if Buckingham did...and if Barnes or Edwards is stellar. One of the centers would seem a redshirt candidate?

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...112014aaa.html

I'll agree they should be respectable but if they are contending for a title I'd say that was unexpected by most...but I could be wrong...fairly easily. They do have 15 players now so I do think they put things together pretty well after the departures. No idea how good any of the incoming people are but nobody seems wow from press clippings. But they also seem to have potential.
(Just wanna put this where I can find it to see who is on the team)

FWIW - the Lamke girl is from SW Wisconsin. My brother lives in SE MN and has a lot of contacts in Wisconsin as a coach and referee. He has seen the Lamke girl play. Said she was more of a banger type, and needed to improve her footwork (in his opinion) to be effective in D1. Her team plays mainly smaller schools, so she can just overpower teams that don't have anyone her size to match up with her. But, from what my brother said, it sounds like Lamke is strictly a 5. I don't see her getting too far away from the basket - unless she drops a little weight and improves her quickness.

Two commitments

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5 star from Hopkins deciding Thursday between Minnesota and Michigan State.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tune in to Channel 5 news at 6 p.m. or 10 p.m. on Thursday(20th) to hear me announce my college decision! &#55357;&#56846;&#55357;&#56840;&#55356;&#57225;&#55356;&#57253;
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/blessedandhumble?src=hash">#blessedandhumble</a></p>— Nia Hollie (@1Holliewood2) <a href="https://twitter.com/1Holliewood2/status/633722017729105920">August 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom