All Things 2015 Gopher Women's Basketball Off-Season Thread

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
With the season behind us and the off-season upon us, its time to transition to an off-season thread for Stollings & Co.

per Shama:

Big Ten women’s basketball drew a record total of more than 869,000 fans for the home games of its 14 conference teams this past season. The Gophers, with an average of 3,846, finished 10th in average home attendance.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I like the new coach, and plan to get a few games next year. Flying a bit under the radar for a new coach may have its benefits. Stollings has had many players depart this season - during and after - which would have caused a firestorm of speculation in a mens program.

Don't see a problem. They were Borton's players. You'll see her recruit more athletic players like Kelly.
She'll mirror her program after Maryland.

Don't see a problem. They were Borton's players. You'll see her recruit more athletic players like Kelly.
She'll mirror her program after Maryland.

Stollings is already on her way. She has an athletic wing from Canada, Danielle Garven coming along with more guards so they will have the bench to play 1-1 D.

Zahui coming back is not a given, btw. Thought I should mention that.

ESPN: Will Zahui B. leave Gophers for WNBA?

When asked if she might enter the April 16 WNBA draft, Zahui responded, "I don't really know. I'm taking it one day at a time."

Zahui said she has discussed it with her coaches.

"But we just finished a season, so I'm just focusing on myself right now," Zahui said. "We'll see what happens."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...da-zahui-b-leave-minnesota-gophers-wnba-draft

Go Gophers!!

Think she stays because:
1. Needs to get stronger in the upper body.
2. Better elevation off the floor. ( Kelly jumed center )
3. The chance to play with Banham

Zahui B. leaving early would certainly be a big hit to the program. Is the WNBA money that great to lure her out early? Taurasi was getting around $107,000. Then again, who knows all the circumstances with Zahui B.? Surely not me.

Zahui B. leaving early would certainly be a big hit to the program. Is the WNBA money that great to lure her out early? Taurasi was getting around $107,000. Then again, who knows all the circumstances with Zahui B.? Surely not me.

Women's players usually play overseas as well and the money can actually be better than the WNBA. So that could factor in as well. I really hope she stays one more year at least. One of the things I like about the women's game is knowing I'm watching STUDENT athletes.

Also, in response to gopherhoopsguy, they have 3 recruits coming in next year. The aforementioned Garven, JUCO point guard Mercedes Jenkins and former DeLasalle guard Allina Starr who is transferring from Auburn.

Women's players usually play overseas as well and the money can actually be better than the WNBA. So that could factor in as well. I really hope she stays one more year at least. One of the things I like about the women's game is knowing I'm watching STUDENT athletes.

Also, in response to gopherhoopsguy, they have 3 recruits coming in next year. The aforementioned Garven, JUCO point guard Mercedes Jenkins and former DeLasalle guard Allina Starr who is transferring from Auburn.

There is also another JUCO Kynadi Johnson. She's a forward and hopefully looks to be replacing Shae Kelly.

There is also another JUCO Kynadi Johnson. She's a forward and hopefully looks to be replacing Shae Kelly.

Right! I had forgotten her. Very curious about her as some of her numbers didn't appear all that great but she is apparently good enough that South Carolina was after her.

She could easily be the #1 pick if she declares. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis of UCONN would be her only real competition for #1. If she does enter early, she would have to announce it tomorrow to adhere to the 10 days before draft day rule.

I think she'll stay and leave with Banham next year. I don't think Banham would've returned if Zahui isn't...

I think she'll stay and leave with Banham next year. I don't think Banham would've returned if Zahui isn't...

Hope like hell you're right. I guess I think so also, but after reading a story on ESPN I'm not that confident. She's already red-shirted; she said the plan was actually to turn pro before Minnesota recruited her. And between the WNBA and playing overseas, she could earn several hundred thousand dollars next year. I think the main hope is a chance to play with Rachel and see how far they can go next year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Zahui's departure from Gophers leaves massive hole on shrinking roster

“We realize she is most likely a No. 1 pick in the draft, and that doesn’t come along very often,’’ Stollings said. “She wants to capitalize on that while she’s hot, and it’s certainly understandable.

“We’re already on the recruiting trail, and [looking for] who’s next. When you have something like this happen so quickly, I think it’s only a positive in terms of the big picture and our recruitment and what we’re trying to do with the program as a whole.’’

Stollings said she hoped Zahui would return, and she admitted it was “tough’’ for her team to hear the news when some observers were predicting the Gophers could be a Final Four team next season with Zahui and Rachel Banham. Banham, the Big Ten preseason player of the year, suffered a season-ending knee injury Dec. 10 but will come back for a fifth year of eligibility on a medical hardship waiver.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299001881.html

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Zahui's departure from Gophers leaves massive hole on shrinking roster

“We realize she is most likely a No. 1 pick in the draft, and that doesn’t come along very often,’’ Stollings said. “She wants to capitalize on that while she’s hot, and it’s certainly understandable.

“We’re already on the recruiting trail, and [looking for] who’s next. When you have something like this happen so quickly, I think it’s only a positive in terms of the big picture and our recruitment and what we’re trying to do with the program as a whole.’’

Stollings said she hoped Zahui would return, and she admitted it was “tough’’ for her team to hear the news when some observers were predicting the Gophers could be a Final Four team next season with Zahui and Rachel Banham. Banham, the Big Ten preseason player of the year, suffered a season-ending knee injury Dec. 10 but will come back for a fifth year of eligibility on a medical hardship waiver.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299001881.html

Go Gophers!!

And from the illustrious comment section

http://comments.startribune.com/com...9001881&section=/sports/gophers&comments=true

Kind of the sad irony in all this is Banham is coming back for a 5th year, but with ZB's departure Banham now may never get to play in a NCAA Tournament. I like what Stollings showed in her first year (on the offensive side of things), but it certainly didn't hurt to have a 1st-team All-American double-double machine anchoring the frontcourt. At least a couple of the incoming recruits need to be really good or I'm afraid Banham may fall short of that again. Hope Gophers can do it, Banham deserves that for sticking with a program that was in the dumpster her first 3 seasons.

It was the perfect storm for Zahui, she became eligible for the draft off a great year & it is a weak senior class.

I was just thinking the same thing SS. That would really sad. Plus she will end up being the program's all-time leading scorer......barring another injury.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water yet. Stollings is not done recruiting.

The speculation ends. Blazing fast Marquette guard Kenisha Bell is transferring back home!! She averaged 14.5 ppg and 5.3 rpg in her freshman year with Marquette. (Will have to sit out a season)

I still can't believe AZB is leaving. I really thought it was a guarantee she would stay for one more year.

I still can't believe AZB is leaving. I really thought it was a guarantee she would stay for one more year.

I just emailed that same exact thought to a friend. Was really looking forward to watching her and the team next year. Still will but that's a huge loss.

KSTP: Web Extra: Stollings Reflects On 1-Year Anniversary With Gophers

In her first year as head coach of the Gopher Women's Basketball program, Marlene Stollings guided the team to huge strides - which is producing plenty of optimism for what lies ahead.

In her first season at the U, Stollings broke the program's five-year NCAA Tournament drought and sent sophomore Amanda Zahui B. to - potentially - the #1 pick in the WNBA Draft.

With Rachel Banham set to to return from her season-ending knee surgery and the majority of the starters also returning, including freshman sensation Carlie Wagner - there is the strong possibility that next year could bring an even higher level of success to Williams Arena.

Click the video box on this page to see 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS' story on Stollings... PLUS an extended cut of KSTP Sports Chris Long's chat with Coach Stollings. They discuss the amazing strides the program has made in such a short time, Stolling's thoughts on in-state recruiting, and what lies ahead for her Gophers program

http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3767213.shtml?cat=7

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed. Program is in very good shape. Remember watching Bell in the State Tournament. She is certainly a huge addition and fits in with the pace Stollings plays.

Top Bottom