Cooper Athlete Philip Howard Commits!

die hard gopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3121197/highlights/167915385' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>.

OK, help me out. This guy's position is listed as "ATH" - but the highlights show him playing QB, and the highlight tape identifies him as a WR.

Somebody who knows more about Howard clue me in - what position do they think he's going to play in college? I hope/expect the coaches have a pretty darn good idea if they're offering the guy.

OK, help me out. This guy's position is listed as "ATH" - but the highlights show him playing QB, and the highlight tape identifies him as a WR.

Somebody who knows more about Howard clue me in - what position do they think he's going to play in college? I hope/expect the coaches have a pretty darn good idea if they're offering the guy.
Just read in a tweet that the coaches will decide this summer during or after their football camp where they will want Howard to play. Could be receiver or CB are the 2 positions I read. I'm sure he plays QB in high school because he's the best athlete on the field for their team

Just read in a tweet that the coaches will decide this summer during or after their football camp where they will want Howard to play. Could be receiver or CB are the 2 positions I read. I'm sure he plays QB in high school because he's the best athlete on the field for their team

Their RB Levonte Taylor is actually probably the much better athlete. The knock on him though is that he is 5-4, 150. Safety Moses Nyangacha is also a pretty good athlete too. Kill has visited Cooper to see both of them along with Howard and all three were at junior day. I also saw Taylor at the first spring practice.

It is early, but worth noting.

Go Gophers!!

Just saw that he is actually ranked the #77 WR in the country on scout which is a very high ranking for a three star.

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Howard gives Gophers their fourth in-state commit

The Gophers plucked another recruit from a deep in-state class Tuesday, when Phillip Howard, a multi-position athlete from Robbinsdale Cooper, announced he was committing to Minnesota.

Howard attended the Gophers’ practice and notified the coaching staff there. He is the fourth top Minnesota recruit to commit for the 2016 class, joining Eden Prairie linebacker Carter Coughlin, East Ridge defensive tackle Jojo Garcia and Robbinsdale Armstrong linebacker Thomas Barber.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/298233821.html

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

It is awesome to see us keeping in-state talent like this. I love this coaching staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving it! Kill and Sherels are locking up the border! Welcome aboard Philip!

Go Gophers!!

Definitely cool! Whatever position Howard ends up playing...he seems like the kind of player who will make plays!

Had the chance to say hi and congratulate him on the commit today at practice. Very articulate and genuine. Was absolutely beaming. :)

STrib: Howard gives Gophers their fourth in-state commit...joining Eden Prairie linebacker Carter Coughlin, East Ridge defensive tackle Jojo Garcia and Robbinsdale Armstrong linebacker Thomas Barber.

Gawd...that's a nice start.

I can't recall any class that has started out like this. Great momentum.

Lots of former Gophers on the Cooper staff. Tony Patterson, Tellis Redmon, Ukee Dozier, not to mention one of the starting WRs on the team is Melvin Newbern, Jr. Had to help convince him early to go with MN.

Saw him twice live this year. Tons of speed and athleticism. Just a matter of finding a spot for him on the field. Could see punt/kick returner, CB, or a slot WR. Won't be a QB or an outside receiver. Can't say I'm over the moon for this signing, but to be fair I only saw him at QB, and he won't be playing QB at the U. If they can find a spot for him where he can fit in at the next level he has some upside.

Welcome aboard Phil! Very excited to see the talent that continues to enter the program. No letters to girlfriends by this recruiting staff :cool02:

Cooper and Armstrong joining forces at the collegiate level. Maybe they should join forces again at the high school level. That would be one hell of a basketball team.

Top Bottom