Q&A: Thomas Barber on Committing to Gophers: "When I committed, I was all smiles."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Thomas Barber on Committing to Gophers: "When I committed, I was all smiles."

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/497355?referrer_id=

Thomas Barber, a 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker from Robbinsdale (MN) Armstrong, recently became the third commitment for the Class of 2016. Barber helped lead the Falcons to a 3-6 record last season. He is the son of former Gopher standout Marion Barber II and the younger brother of ex-Minnesota stars Marion III and Dom.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with the youngest Barber to learn the latest about his decision.

Gopher Hole: It has been about two weeks since you committed to Minnesota. What has been the reaction of your family and friends?

Thomas Barber: Family and friends are all amped. They are all pumped about it. They were really excited. I was very excited. Everyone is really excited. The talk still hasn't gone down. Every day, I am reminded that I am going to be a Gopher in the next year and a half and it is just very exciting.

Gopher Hole: Do you feel a little bit of a weight off your shoulder having made that decision?

Thomas Barber: Yes. It is actually a lot of weight lifted. I don't have to worry about waiting for schools and waiting for something to happen. I get to stay home and enjoy high school.

Gopher Hole: What other schools were you really hearing from besides Minnesota when you decided to commit?

Thomas Barber: Nothing really heavy like Minnesota was. I was getting calls and stuff from North Dakota and Duluth. The Gophers were the ones that were really focusing on me a lot.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have a lot of ties to Minnesota with your relatives. Would it have been hard not to go to Minnesota?

Thomas Barber: I think it would have. Not only, because of that, but I love Minnesota. I don't think that I would have been able to leave, to be honest. Plus, they have turned it around and got things going in the right direction.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many games this past year?

Thomas Barber: Yes. I went to about three this year. They are just getting better and better and they are just kicking butt.

Gopher Hole: Do you remember who they played those games?

Thomas Barber: I went to, I believe the Northwestern game and the Iowa game, especially that one, That was fun. That was just touchdown after touchdown.

Gopher Hole: A lot of times when a player commits this early, he doesn't go to a lot of camps. Is that your thought process that you won't go to camps that if you hadn't committed you would have attended?

Thomas Barber: Yes, but I am still thinking about going to some North Star camps, because I have been training and want to see where I am with times and stuff that I am still developing. I don't think that I'll go to any team or college camps, but more like the North Star and FS camps.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to improve yourself and hopefully be ready for a big senior year, but also be ready to play college football?

Thomas Barber: I am going to be working on my speed, because the coaches are talking about me being fast. They feel that I can be physical enough to be put in there and still work on that, but he wants to see my speed improve a lot.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for Armstrong? Do you have a lot of players back or did you lose a lot of seniors?

Thomas Barber: We lost around six, but our goal is to be over .500 and win our section.

Gopher Hole: It sounds like the Gophers are looking at you as a middle linebacker, right?

Thomas Barber: Yes, I played on the inside.

Gopher Hole: You have that Barber name. What have your relatives told you about playing at Minnesota?

Thomas Barber: They said that it is a great experience and that they wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I would definitely take their advice on anything and I know that this is the right choice.

Gopher Hole: Were they even more excited than you were?

Thomas Barber: They probably showed a little more. When they offered me, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't say a word until I got to my car. When I committed, I was all smiles and everything was fine. I think that I am more excited than the relatives.

Gopher Hole: They have gotten a couple of commitments from other Minnesota kids, JoJo Garcia and Carter Coughlin. Do you know much about them or have you talked to them much in the past?

Thomas Barber: Yes. I met JoJo Garcia one time and I introduced myself to him. I don't know him very well, but I met Carter and we roomed together during our unofficial visit. I got to know him really well and we talked and he is a really cool guy. I am looking forward to being his teammate.

Gopher Hole: You are both linebackers, so that will be nice to go into Minnesota together, right?

Thomas Barber: Yes, It is great.

The family is a group of overachievers. They outperform expectations and are winners. Thomas will be a great contributor! I love this commit. I hope the rest of the in-state players that have offers move quickly.

I was all smiles when he committed. I had a hard time keeping up with Thomas. Dominic and MBIII went to Wayzata, and Thomas to Armstrong. Wonder if he will still play Hockey or if that has been dropped with the commitment. When Dominic said Thomas was the best athlete in the family, it became a waiting game. Welcome Thomas, best of luck to you and your family.

Top Bottom