GopherHole's Sports Huddle Sjummary: Coach Jerry Kill - 3/29/15

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill sounded upbeat and positive about the team’s execution at yesterday’s practice, and being able to scrimmage outside at TCF Bank Stadium instead of the tight confines of the indoor practice facility.

Jerry Kill’s responses and comments on ‘CCOs Sports Huddle are as follows:

1) Sid opened the segment and asked for Coach Kill’s assessment of yesterday’s scrimmage: Kill answered, “Number one, chance to get outside . . . very pleased . . . pleasantly surprised with the execution . . . (ran) 90 to 100 plays.” He also said they were able run three groups during the scrimmage and that the team did a “solid job;” however, he emphasized that they have “heckuva a lot of work to get done.”

2) According to Sid, the defense played solidly in the scrimmage. As a result, he asked what defensive players stood out: Kill quickly replied, “Offense played pretty good, too.”

On the defensive side of the ball, Coach Kill cited the play of redshirt freshman, Daletavious McGhee, defensive back from Decatur, Georgia: “Good size, good tackler.” Kill also said, as he does when talking about underclassmen, “Learning how to play.”

Kill’s tone and inflection when describing the play of the team – offensive and defense – at yesterday’s scrimmage was very positive and upbeat.

3) Sid followed up by asking for his assessment and to elaborate on the offense: “I think, overall, there were some good things and things that we have to improve . . . (as a) whole group, not disappointed,” said Kill.

4) Dave Mona’s first question was related to the tight end and H-Back positions: Coach Kill cited several players at the two positions; however, and unfortunately, I’m not sure of some of the names given, as the reception on my computer became garbled when Kill listed some of the players.

At tight end he mentioned Duke Anyanwu – “Duke coming off two surgeries.” Nate Wozniak – “Wozniak did some good things.” He mentioned another tight end that weighs 270 pounds (I believe he was talking about Lincoln Plsek).” Please chime in, if you know the player's identity.

Kill sounded upbeat about the team’s tight ends, “Depth at tight end position.” However, he did mention that Maxx Williams is a player that you don’t really replace; however, it’s the coaching staff’s job to try.

At H-Back Kill cited Nick Hart and another player (a fullback that will be an h-back) but, again, I didn’t catch the player’s name.

In closing, Kill cited Isaiah Gentry at wide receiver for his play this spring. He also said there’ll be a couple (player/receiver) coming in this summer, but he didn’t give any names.

5) Sid asked about offensive lineman Josh Campion being moved from tackle to guard and redshirt sophomore Ben Lauer: Kill said Lauer, who had suffered some injuries last season, has had a “great spring,” which has allowed the move of Campion to the guard spot.

Other offensive linemen cited in Kill’s comments: Jonah Pirsig, Foster Busch, Jon Christenson (who is not practicing this spring, but he’ll be available at center when fall practices begin), and Connor Mayes – “snapping the ball.”

Again, Kill sounded upbeat in his assessment of the offensive line: “Want to be as big and strong as you can get – we’re going to be.” Kill cited the size and strength of Wisconsin’s offensive line of recent history; a goal that he wants Minnesota’s offensive line to be.

Sid, in a follow up question, asked about Josh Campion, in particular. Kill replied, “He’s done exactly what we want him to do.” One could tell that Kill likes Campion’s attitude and play on the field and his success in the classroom.

6) Sid inquired on the status of, Noah Scarver, Minneapolis Washburn transfer at the tight end position: Kill said Scarver suffered a shoulder injury during the fifth practice and hasn't practiced since. On a positive note, however, Kill said the redshirt freshman had looked “good first five practices.”

7) Dave Mona asked about redshirt junior center, Brian Bobek, an Ohio State transfer, and his prospects of seeing the field: “We’ll see . . . (there’s) good competition at center,” said Kill. Brian Bobek has been afflicted with the infamous “injury bug” since his arrival to Minnesota.

8) Sid, once again, asked what redshirts have looked good in spring drills: Kill quickly replied, “Rodney Smith has played well all spring – good catches and runs . . . he’s a game breaker.”

Jeff Jones, a true freshman, sat out last year without practicing with the team in order to meet NCAA academic standards. Nonetheless, Coach Jerry Kill sounded very positive about Jones’ football acumen and athletic ability, “Jeff Jones (is a) runningback and wide receiver . . . good football IQ . . . He’s basically a freshman."

Coach Kill didn’t give any other names of redshirt freshmen. (However, he has mentioned redshirt receivers – Isaiah Gentry, Desmond Gant and Melvin Holland Jr. – on several occasions during bowl game preparations last December and during spring drills.

Kill said they played a lot of true freshmen along the defensive front last season; however, he didn’t give any names.

Go Gophers!!

I think DL65 has taken a clue from Jerry and has stepped up his game. Not only does he accurately report what was said he also captures the nuances of what was said. I just hope that superfly doesn't go after him for that.:rolleyes: Great job DL65!

Thanks DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, DL. Now to get back to work. Moving into our new house. My wife earned it!

DL Sunday is not complete until I get your report. Many thanks, and I can hardly wait till the fall. From his recruiting videos to his red shirt year and the reports on Isaiah Gentry are everything I think he can be. He is a big receiver who runs fluidly. Great hands. I could only hope he is the missing link. The post, the go, the 18 yard average catch player.

Huge is the depth this team has and the opportunities for walk-ons. Seeing three deeps get reps in the spring is huge. I've been to schools in the spring that had 5 healthy O-linemen available. Can't get a lot done with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the idea of JJ playing in the slot.

I have no doubt JJ is too good to be on the sidelines and with his great hands should likely see time at RB and WR. My concern is we have heard this "too good to be standing next to me" line from Kill before - and although it has been true, they have not done a good job of getting those guys the ball. I hope this time will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom