Traveling Calls

my additional for what it's worth....I posted the Frank video on a "ref" site...they all said it was NOT traveling...but bad high school refs most likely would call it traveling mistakenly

I am getting a huge laugh reading this thread. I say that because I would consider myself a fairly established Referee in MN and listening to adult men try to argue why that vine may or may not be a travel is comical. So many people think they know the rule and as you can see on this thread the true knowledge is missing. One guy even posted the rule and few comments later someone disagreed with the rule.

With that being said a few things about this Vine are being missed. If you want to truly break down the Kaminsky move, based off of what I see and know via the rulebook technically it is a travel but no one has mentioned the real reason why. My eye shows that Kaminsky actually picks his dribble up at the free throw low on his right foot, which then means that right foot is now his pivot foot. If true, he then lands on his left foot and follows that up by landing on his right foot which is 2 steps and via the rule book you do not get two steps. So yes it is a travel. For him to properly complete this move after picking up his dribble at the free throw line on his right foot he SHOULD have come to a jump stop where he does need both feet to land at the same time. Problem here is he would then actually lose his right to pivot because you do not get 2 steps, so landing on both feet count as ONE STEP and any pivot would be considered a second step once foot touches ground.

Now that is the rule book. Why didnt this get called. You can make an argument that he didnt pick up his dribble until after his right foot near the free throw line left the floor. With this argument he then has no pivot foot so when he lands on his left foot he establishes that as a pivot foot and can make the move he did. His move is a very old school up and under where you take a step, lift pivot foot and basically perform a lay up. Nothing illegal about it. You see this move done a lot more in the womens game in the post as they use it to create space because they generally are not as athletic as men to jump over people.

And after all of that I will add, when I watch NCAA games, every game has by the rule book at least 20+ travels go uncalled but that is just the way they referee it. I do not like it but that is how it is called now.

I am getting a huge laugh reading this thread. I say that because I would consider myself a fairly established Referee in MN and listening to adult men try to argue why that vine may or may not be a travel is comical. So many people think they know the rule and as you can see on this thread the true knowledge is missing. One guy even posted the rule and few comments later someone disagreed with the rule.

With that being said a few things about this Vine are being missed. If you want to truly break down the Kaminsky move, based off of what I see and know via the rulebook technically it is a travel but no one has mentioned the real reason why. My eye shows that Kaminsky actually picks his dribble up at the free throw low on his right foot, which then means that right foot is now his pivot foot. If true, he then lands on his left foot and follows that up by landing on his right foot which is 2 steps and via the rule book you do not get two steps. So yes it is a travel. For him to properly complete this move after picking up his dribble at the free throw line on his right foot he SHOULD have come to a jump stop where he does need both feet to land at the same time. Problem here is he would then actually lose his right to pivot because you do not get 2 steps, so landing on both feet count as ONE STEP and any pivot would be considered a second step once foot touches ground.

Now that is the rule book. Why didnt this get called. You can make an argument that he didnt pick up his dribble until after his right foot near the free throw line left the floor. With this argument he then has no pivot foot so when he lands on his left foot he establishes that as a pivot foot and can make the move he did. His move is a very old school up and under where you take a step, lift pivot foot and basically perform a lay up. Nothing illegal about it. You see this move done a lot more in the womens game in the post as they use it to create space because they generally are not as athletic as men to jump over people.

And after all of that I will add, when I watch NCAA games, every game has by the rule book at least 20+ travels go uncalled but that is just the way they referee it. I do not like it but that is how it is called now.

That was the point of the thread.

Top Bottom