Who are you cheering for in Final 4? KENTUCKY or wisconsin?

• KENTUCKY

Votes: 79 74.5%
  • wisconsin

Votes: 27 25.5%

• Total voters

Who am I cheering for? Hmmm....let's see.....David vs. Goliath. I think I'd rather see David win.

As far as Bo Ryan being the winning coach, well, technically, Saul was the king of the Israelites in the battle with the Phillistines but nobody remembers him.

I have nothing against Calipari and I think he deserves his success, but I hate the idea of an inevitable champion.

What is the basketball equivalent of 59-0? Go Cats!

100% this. I hope the Badgers just get annihilated.

I think the most interesting thing will be Kaminsky's ability to guard the UK bigs. They will get the ball all day and if Frank gets in foul trouble could be a long day for the Badgers.

UK also has the size and athleticism to guard Dekker and Kaminsky without needing to double.

Kentucky's shooting deficiencies could hurt them? But I don't think Wisconsin will be able to score against Kentucky as easily as they have other teams. WCS and Towns are incredible on D.

Who? The student managers?

I think Dekker and Hayes are likable. Off the court bo is pretty cool. Don't get me wrong. I hate the Badgers. But I hate uk and everything cal just as much. Add in the possible benefit of a B1g champion and I'm a badger lean.

I think Dekker and Hayes are likable. Off the court bo is pretty cool. Don't get me wrong. I hate the Badgers. But I hate uk and everything cal just as much. Add in the possible benefit of a B1g champion and I'm a badger lean.

And outside of those two it is a team of EE's. It's horrendous how much they whine. That just bothers me more than anything UK could do. They behave just like their constantly complaining coach, like entitled children. Then to make it more fun flop and embellish like some Chris Paul/James Harden love child.

Don't get me wrong, they are a very very very VERY good team. And Bo is a very very good coach. Their attitude/behavior is just atrocious and makes them so hard to even try to cheer for.

I won't lie though, I loved that Dekker shot at the end against Arizona. As much as I wanted Wisconsin to lose, that was a darn great shot. That's an NBA shot right there.

wanes

WI will already get a bump in recruiting because of their sustained success these last two years, and they deserve that (painful to say that).

However, they would get an even bigger bump if they win the national championship.

Kentucky is already at the pinnacle of recruiting, so whatever.

Go Kentucky.

Connecticut has four final four appearances and three national championships in the 11 years prior to this one. This year they lost their opening game at home in the NIT as a fourth seed. Things change.

Bo Ryan will probably never have a team as good as this one for the rest of his career (which may not last that much longer given that he is 67). After he steps down, there is a fair chance that Wisconsin's success wanes.

Wisconsin really isn't a much bigger recruiting threat to Minnesota than a number of other Big Ten and regional schools. Looking through their roster of scholarship players, I can see only two who were even offered by Minnesota.

And outside of those two it is a team of EE's. It's horrendous how much they whine. That just bothers me more than anything UK could do. They behave just like their constantly complaining coach, like entitled children. Then to make it more fun flop and embellish like some Chris Paul/James Harden love child.

Don't get me wrong, they are a very very very VERY good team. And Bo is a very very good coach. Their attitude/behavior is just atrocious and makes them so hard to even try to cheer for.

I won't lie though, I loved that Dekker shot at the end against Arizona. As much as I wanted Wisconsin to lose, that was a darn great shot. That's an NBA shot right there.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

And then you add in that they are like 340th in pace and it makes it even worse.

I don't disagree with anything you said, might argue that they don't whine THAT much.

I just think cal and everything UK has become is tough to cheer for.

We very often compete with Wisconsin for recruits. What's good for Wisconsin is most likely bad for us. Plus I'm a Gopher fan, thus I don't like Wisconsin. I don't wanna deal with the unprecedented smugness of Becky fans if they win a title. Screw conference pride.

Go Sparty! Go Bucky! Go B1G!!...or go home.

Go Wildcats! Hoping for an 82-49 type game. (Also hope Kentucky is then annihilated in the national championship game.)

It's simple for me. I'm a Gophers fan #1. Since we recruit against WI many times, them being successful hurts us.

We very often compete with Wisconsin for recruits. What's good for Wisconsin is most likely bad for us. Plus I'm a Gopher fan, thus I don't like Wisconsin. I don't wanna deal with the unprecedented smugness of Becky fans if they win a title. Screw conference pride.

Sure we compete with Wisconsin, like we compete with other Big Ten and regional schools. ESPN may not be the most reliable source for recruiting offers made, but a check of the last three years shows the following number of Minnesota offers to players who went to other Big Ten schools and Iowa State (thrown in there because of their proximity):

Mich State (3 players but one of them was told by our school to look elsewhere)

One each at the following schools:

Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Penn State, Purdue, and Iowa State

Again, I can't vouch for ESPN's relative reliability but I only got two players on Wisconsin's active roster who were offered by Minnesota when I checked Verbal Commits. It's a small sample, but it looks like Michigan State has been our biggest competitor lately. Still, 8 schools from that limited pool are represented there so I wouldn't conclude that any one of them is a much more significant competitor than any of the others.

Those are the facts. What you've written above is just primitive and stupid emotion. But, if you're comfortable with that, by all means carry on.

Sure we compete with Wisconsin, like we compete with other Big Ten and regional schools. ESPN may not be the most reliable source for recruiting offers made, but a check of the last three years shows the following number of Minnesota offers to players who went to other Big Ten schools and Iowa State (thrown in there because of their proximity):

Mich State (3 players but one of them was told by our school to look elsewhere)

One each at the following schools:

Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Penn State, Purdue, and Iowa State

Again, I can't vouch for ESPN's relative reliability but I only got two players on Wisconsin's active roster who were offered by Minnesota when I checked Verbal Commits. It's a small sample, but it looks like Michigan State has been our biggest competitor lately. Still, 8 schools from that limited pool are represented there so I wouldn't conclude that any one of them is a much more significant competitor than any of the others.

Those are the facts. What you've written above is just primitive and stupid emotion. But, if you're comfortable with that, by all means carry on.

And it has been bad for us that Iowa St has been good too. No one is saying WI is the only team we compete against. But they certainly have been a big competitor for MN kids in the past.

Besides not keeping the MN kids home, I don't think we've done a good job of recruiting the upper midwest. Wisconsin's success doesn't help that.

Kentucky makes a great second team to cheer for. My #2 is undefeated this year!

Normally I don't care for Kentucky, but they are fun to watch. Last night's game with Notre Dame was fantastic.

Besides not keeping the MN kids home, I don't think we've done a good job of recruiting the upper midwest. Wisconsin's success doesn't help that.

I don't care where kids come from as long as they can play. Austin, Andre, and DeAndre were all from Tennessee and they helped the Gophers far more than Royce White or Joe Coleman ever did.

Of course, there are numerous examples of quality Minnesota preps who didn't seem to be wanted much by the Gophers either. The most notable recent examples were Nate Wolters and Mike Muscala who went to Bucknell (he had 18 points and 10 rebounds playing for the Atlanta Hawks last night).

I don't have any unique insight into Bo Ryan's personality but he doesn't strike me as a guy who would waste a single moment crying about some other team's success.

When the Wisconsin rouser comes on I like to say **** instead of on. Seriously you can't be a true gopher fan and root for Wisconsin.

Seriously you can't be a true gopher fan and root for Wisconsin.

Yeah, I've read that a lot around here. One thing the internet has taught me is that, wherever you land, there is no shortage of stupid.

My B1G allegiance is firmly behind Sparty and Izzo. I would be happy to see them overcome long odds and win it all, especially since we managed to beat them in East Lansing.

I don't care where kids come from as long as they can play.

Neither do I. But you would think it is easier to convince kids from the midwest (especially MN) to come to Minnesota. In the past we've missed out on local kids, and some have gone to Wisconsin.

Of course, there are numerous examples of quality Minnesota preps who didn't seem to be wanted much by the Gophers either. The most notable recent examples were Nate Wolters and Mike Muscala who went to Bucknell (he had 18 points and 10 rebounds playing for the Atlanta Hawks last night).

And neither did other big programs in the area. Either way, I'm not sure what this has to do with the conversation we're having.

I don't have any unique insight into Bo Ryan's personality but he doesn't strike me as a guy who would waste a single moment crying about some other team's success.

No one is crying. A few people just mentioned they felt it would be better for our program if Wisconsin loses. Don't make it into something it isn't. You're comparing what a head coach is saying/thinking to what fans on a message board say/think.

It's fine, you don't agree. I do that more local kids have gone to Wisconsin than any other out of state power 5 conference team. My guess is their success has something to do with that.

I think it is interesting that we have no trouble rooting for MSU but won't root for Wisconsin because of recruiting. Meanwhile, MSU had three guys we wanted and came close to getting in Nairn, Schilling, and Ellis. I hate Wisconsin because they are a rival, but no one should be cheering for MSU if "recruiting" is the reason.

These are my two most hated teams in college basketball. The Big ten has already been validated with two teams in the final four, so now I have zero motivation to root for Wisconsin. Go cats.

But really, go MSU. I'd rather have traitor Tyus and Duke win rather than KY or WI though.

I think it is interesting that we have no trouble rooting for MSU but won't root for Wisconsin because of recruiting. Meanwhile, MSU had three guys we wanted and came close to getting in Nairn, Schilling, and Ellis. I hate Wisconsin because they are a rival, but no one should be cheering for MSU if "recruiting" is the reason.

Most of the time that isn't the case however. In the past and in the future there will be a lot more recruits (especially local recruits) that will be deciding between MN and WI than MN and MSU.

Top Bottom