Fire Lucia...

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Can anyone claim they got less out of that much talent? If Kentucky had this type of underperforming season they would have the coaches head on a platter.

We should be talking about another back to back national titles instead of getting waxed by UMD and losing to whatchamacallit U last year.

The B1G has been a disaster for the level of competition, trying to find the games on TV, etc...

We need a change immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were any other Gopher sport I'd say no but performances like this are far too common under Lucia; unacceptable at a school of this level.

As Norwood Teague says himself, I just felt the program needed new life, a new energy, a new direction. Lucia = Tubby Smith.

Jess Meyers weighs in:

@JessRMyers: Dear "Fire Lucia" crowd: Knock it off. Not going to happen. Four straight conf titles/NCAA trips. R-E-L-A-X. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Jess Meyers weighs in:

@JessRMyers: Dear "Fire Lucia" crowd: Knock it off. Not going to happen. Four straight conf titles/NCAA trips. R-E-L-A-X. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Completely agree. People calling for Lucia's head should look at Nebraska football and see what happens to a program with such consistent, unreasonably high expectations. Lucia is still one of the best in coaches in college hockey. Recruiting is solid, banners added every year, and records broken. We are frustrated with today's performance but let's keep things in perspective.

Completely agree. People calling for Lucia's head should look at Nebraska football and see what happens to a program with such consistent, unreasonably high expectations. Lucia is still one of the best in coaches in college hockey. Recruiting is solid, banners added every year, and records broken. We are frustrated with today's performance but let's keep things in perspective.

I disagree. This year's team under-performed big time just like many other's recenlty. Games like today have been too common for a team that is consistently one of the most talented teams in the country. Just two Frozen Four appearances in the past 10 seasons is unacceptable.

I'm not sure if he should be fired, but I can understand why some think he should be.

or they could look at kentucky basketball. tubby put regular season banners up, now they have calipari and put up ncaa banners. goes both ways. expectations are a good thing. you don't come to minnesota to put up banners for winning a 6 team conf. you come here to win natty's. we haven't done that in 12 years. 12!!!! natty's.

I can see what your saying. From experience though, I would like to note that it isn't always about talent but more so about chemistry. I realize that the coach is involved his finding that chemistry but sometimes it's not that easy. Confidence is also a factor...look at the Wild. Yao was a goat a few months ago and now he is a genius. Lucia is a great coach. We are all fans of the same team so let's support the best hockey team in NCAA hockey.

As for Calipari, I don't want my schools team to win using his methods...I don't like cheaters.

I can see what your saying. From experience though, I would like to note that it isn't always about talent but more so about chemistry. I realize that the coach is involved his finding that chemistry but sometimes it's not that easy. Confidence is also a factor...look at the Wild. Yao was a goat a few months ago and now he is a genius. Lucia is a great coach. We are all fans of the same team so let's support the best hockey team in NCAA hockey.

What ticks me off about games like today is the players looked so disinterested. It's happened too many times lately in my opinion.

What ticks me off about games like today is the players looked so disinterested. It's happened too many times lately in my opinion.

I agree. That is the worst part. Guentzal is usually the fire and he looks apathetic on the bench. Maybe we need new assistant coaches!?!

I don't know if Lucia firing is the right way to go, but there needs to be new blood somewhere. Maybe a guy like Condon (always seemed firey and showed leadership) could be used in a role to keep players focused and motivated. Team just seemed to lack fire which is just embarrassing to be at this level and moment in the season and have that happen

I think Don has run his course. He is the Mack Brown of college hockey.

I don't think there is such a thing as unrealistic expectations for one of the most storied programs in college hockey. That said, the worst thing to happen to this program was the BigTen. It's brutal hockey, with brutal atmospheres, and disingenuous rivalries (other than the skunks). I think playing rivalry games every weekend in the old WCHA drove these players to get better, and certainly better prepared them for post-season play.

Other programs have caught up to UMN, have great facilities, and know how to recruit. Jerry Kill talks about how the UMN has to recruit, while some schools get to select. Well, Gopher hockey has been the equivalent of the helmet football schools and able to just select, but those days are going away - Lucia and company need to get to work.

Lucia is not a great coach. His teams' repeated breakdowns over multiple seasons against inferior opponents and uninspired play at important times against good opponents will mark him as a guy who could not fulfill expectations. He may be a great administrator, but a great coach he is not. Many solid hockey guys could win tons of games with the kind of talent available to the U. Our identity has become that of a poorly prepared, physically soft bunch of skill players who frequently decide we've had enough blue collar hockey and take a few games off. Great coaches' players don't take games off

Holy cow do I agree with the comment about the Big 10 hurting us. I didn't like the idea to begin with and it is worse than I thought it would be. I hope it's only a bump in the road but right now it seems like some major potholes.

First of all, this was an embarrassing, humiliating, pathetic effort. I don't know why so many seniors and other players decided to take a dump on their fans by not even bothering to try for most of the game.

Still not on board with the fire Lucia crowd. I know some people think the 2 national titles are stale coming more than a decade ago, but even if we just look at the time horizon of the senior class we just graduated, firing him makes no sense. The last fours years have seen 4 conference titles, a conference tournament title, 4 trips to the NCAA tournament, 2 Frozen Fours, and a trip to the national title game. It would be great if this were video game hockey where you could win every game 15-0 en route to a perfect season (and if you slip up, reset the machine before you save). Plenty of other elite programs don't have the accolades we have even in just the last four years. If we start missing tournaments again, maybe I'll get on board with getting rid of the coach, but not today.

If Teague cares about hockey, he fires Lucia. Question is, does he care about hockey and do you trust him to hire a new coach?

U people saying no shouldn't be fans of Gopher hockey. Settle for one title game in 12 years (in which u get your ass completely kicked), move to Wisconsin where Football and Basketball are the big time sports, heck, even their team has won a natty more recently than MN. This is The University of Minnesota hockey! Expectations should be way higher than what has been achieved over the last decade plus 2 years!!! Norwood Teague would be the best AD in the last 50yrs if he fires Lucia. Interest in Gopher hockey will be at an all time low if not. And get rid of the Olympic rink, the road to the National title doesn't go through Olympic rinks! It's stupid!

First of all, this was an embarrassing, humiliating, pathetic effort. I don't know why so many seniors and other players decided to take a dump on their fans by not even bothering to try for most of the game.

Still not on board with the fire Lucia crowd. I know some people think the 2 national titles are stale coming more than a decade ago, but even if we just look at the time horizon of the senior class we just graduated, firing him makes no sense. The last fours years have seen 4 conference titles, a conference tournament title, 4 trips to the NCAA tournament, 2 Frozen Fours, and a trip to the national title game. It would be great if this were video game hockey where you could win every game 15-0 en route to a perfect season (and if you slip up, reset the machine before you save). Plenty of other elite programs don't have the accolades we have even in just the last four years. If we start missing tournaments again, maybe I'll get on board with getting rid of the coach, but not today.

The issue I have with just citing conference titles and ncaa births is we are now in the weak big ten (comparatively to the old wcha where winning a conference title meant auto 1 seed). We could be like Robert Morris in Atlantic hockey and roll through the season every year but we end up ill ready come tourney time bc the hitting and intensity are lower. Every team that had spunk and wanted to hit beat the hell out of us and the guys quit. That to me stems from the soft b10 slate where u can take games off and still win against crap teams. That does not prepare you for postseason play

And get rid of the Olympic rink, the road to the National title doesn't go through Olympic rinks! It's stupid!

I hate to say it, but count me in on the losing the olympic sheet crowd. I used to say no way, but now that nobody plays on that size ice anymore, really does us no favors.

The issue I have with just citing conference titles and ncaa births is we are now in the weak big ten (comparatively to the old wcha where winning a conference title meant auto 1 seed). We could be like Robert Morris in Atlantic hockey and roll through the season every year but we end up ill ready come tourney time bc the hitting and intensity are lower. Every team that had spunk and wanted to hit beat the hell out of us and the guys quit. That to me stems from the soft b10 slate where u can take games off and still win against crap teams. That does not prepare you for postseason play

I didn't just cite conference titles and NCAA berths. We were also in two of the last four Frozen Fours and one of the last two national title games. By the time the dust settles this year, at most only 4 teams in the country will be able to make that claim.

I didn't just cite conference titles and NCAA berths. We were also in two of the last four Frozen Fours and one of the last two national title games. By the time the dust settles this year, at most only 4 teams in the country will be able to make that claim.

"Show me a program that's satisfied with losing and I'll show you a loser." John Wooden.

"Show me a program that's satisfied with losing and I'll show you a loser." John Wooden.

Where in bleeds' post did he ever even come close to implying that he was satisfied with losing?

Never going to happen.

Look at the last four years.

Are they a firing offense?

I don't like how we play. So soft.

We're stale. I feel we need to shake things up a bit. Yes, we still win a lot of games, etc, but so did Coach Woog. Conference banners are nice, but its not enough for a blue-blood hockey program like MN. I think we did win the Big Ten on talent alone. 16 NHL draft picks ought to. I respect what Coach Lucia has done, but its time for a new voice on the bench.

We're stale. I feel we need to shake things up a bit. Yes, we still win a lot of games, etc, but so did Coach Woog. Conference banners are nice, but its not enough for a blue-blood hockey program like MN. I think we did win the Big Ten on talent alone. 16 NHL draft picks ought to. I respect what Coach Lucia has done, but its time for a new voice on the bench.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm sitting. I'm not nearly as down on Lucia as so many on this board are, but I think some fresh blood behind the bench could be exactly what the team needs.

I really like Guentzel, but I'm not sure if he'd be "fresh" enough.

If this thread were on GPL, the planetary one and the cured white meat would have already locked it down. LOL.

Top Bottom