Pathetic season

I respect your opinion and understand your frustration but disagree. I think this is a reflection of the weakness of the Big 10. The boys won the conference and tournament...everything that was asked of them. Their non-conference schedule was respective. They came out flat (to say the least) today. Let's not take anything away from Lucia either. Great coach and we are lucky to have him.

Let's get things straight though. The OOC schedule was good, and we lost damn near every game against good teams. We were preseason #1 and should've walked all over the big ten and we had to rally on the final day to win that. This team vastly underachieved and that's why it's painful. Talent wise they should've been there until the end but heart and grit wise, they should've been at home watching today

I respect your opinion and understand your frustration but disagree. I think this is a reflection of the weakness of the Big 10. The boys won the conference and tournament...everything that was asked of them. Their non-conference schedule was respective. They came out flat (to say the least) today. Let's not take anything away from Lucia either. Great coach and we are lucky to have him.
Not from what I'm hearing the players say about their coach. He needs to go. If you think that the players did everything ask of them and the coaches are happy, then I'll watch fewer games next year if any.

They looked they had Thanksgiving dinner an hour before the start today. Back on their heels from the jump.

Beavergopher, I do agree with you. They looked hungover...I wouldn't say it looked more like the effect of wild turkey.

As I posted over on another posting...People calling for Lucia's head should look at Nebraska football and see what happens to a program with such consistent, unreasonably high expectations. Lucia is still one of the best in coaches in college hockey. Recruiting is solid, banners added every year, and records broken. We are frustrated with today's performance but let's keep things in perspective.

As I posted over on another posting...People calling for Lucia's head should look at Nebraska football and see what happens to a program with such consistent, unreasonably high expectations. Lucia is still one of the best in coaches in college hockey. Recruiting is solid, banners added every year, and records broken. We are frustrated with today's performance but let's keep things in perspective.

We will see. Guys that are coming in haven't impressed me lately (this year's senior class was pretty good, but where are we going to go next year for offense). There's no pure goal scorers. Not really any grit. Fasching should be back, but he's like a really poor man's Bjugstad (and it's really not even close), Kloos has a scoring knack, but can never get himself open, Cammaratta and Letterri are much the same. There's no one on the offensive roster that gets me at all excited for next year. If we're having to rely on freshmen to light the lamp consistently, that's not the place we should be at. Add in losing Skjei and Reilly and this team is really (likely, again barring a freshmen infusion) going to struggle to score next year and that is on Lucia. Obviously he appears to be signing the guys who can compete for the most part, but you have to know when to bring your guys in (guys can take stints in juniors, come straight up, etc.) and Don seems to have really done a poor job with balancing the classes. Just chew on these stats for goal scoring we are likely to lose:

137 total goals as of the last update done on Gophersports
Leading scorers
Kyle Rau 20 goals
Travis Boyd 19 goals
Justin Kloos 13 goals (with only 5 in conference play)
Seth Ambroz 12 goals
Sam Warning 12 goals
Hudson Fasching 12 goals
Connor Reilly 11 goals (and will he be able to return)

No one else in double digits and we lose for sure 77 of those goals and possibly Fasching and Reillys 23 goals (My personal call is C Reilly isn't back and Fasching is) so we'll call it a total of 89 goals. That's only 35% of our goals coming back in class that only has 5 seniors and 2 guys that will leave early. So 7 skaters are 65% of the offense and none of them are underclassmen. I know there is some adjustment time, but we haven't had anyone since Rau come in and show a scoring touch (and his was more grit). That to me is unacceptable. I hope next year's class can step right in and contribute. We're going to need it because the classes right now are severely unbalanced in terms of scoring ability

Well stated upnorthkid and I do worry about the lack of O next year. I pray the frosh class is something special!

Bull **** the son has had multiple squads do this in the tourney 06 and 13 to name two. This team is a lot like the 09 team who went from number one in the polls to out of the dance except these gutless buns had the advantage of being in the big ten. There's a clear rift on this team.

Top Bottom