Sid: Gophers basketball must turn around its history

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

With all the excitement about college basketball in the air, it’s a good time to review the Gophers program and consider how they can emulate what Big Ten schools such as Wisconsin and Michigan State have accomplished by making numerous trips to the NCAA tournament.

The Gophers haven’t made it easy on themselves to produce a winning program over the past 30 years, with a number of problems that hindered any ongoing success. As Richard Pitino looks ahead to his third year as Gophers coach and tries to build the program, he’ll have to steer clear of such problems.

The university is the only Division I school in all sports in the state but lost three of Minnesota’s top recruits to other schools last year, and a number of coaches with great reputations have turned down the opportunity to coach the Gophers. That’s amazing when you consider that Iowa has four D-I schools, and three of them made the NCAA tournament this year in Iowa State, Northern Iowa and Iowa. Wisconsin has four D-I schools, and while only the Badgers made the tournament this year, Wisconsin was joined by Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the field a year ago.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/297735211.html

Go Gophers!!

Yes, and the current AD won't be able to change it either. No, I am not saying this because he fired........

It would have been interesting to see what Tubby would have done with this group of apethetic seniors sans D Mathieu, Ellis and Foster on this team and a group of mid-major freshmen talent. Forget winning 6 BT games, they might not have won 6 all year.

It would have been interesting to see what Tubby would have done with this group of apethetic seniors sans D Mathieu, Ellis and Foster on this team and a group of mid-major freshmen talent. Forget winning 6 BT games, they might not have won 6 all year.

Tubby is GONE!!! Let go.

Yes, and the current AD won't be able to change it either. No, I am not saying this because he fired........

That is exactly why you are saying it. Your whole agenda is try and discredit the AD at every turn because he fired......

I feel bad for your fan base that people still hang on to tubby. HE HAD TO GO ! Now is Pitino the right guy? Only time will tell and he deserves the support and the time. They would have loved to get Shaka or a Tony Bennett but that simply was not going to happen. When will the fan base jump all in on the guy who is being paid now?

Tubby never went .500 overall or worse in his 6 years here, never won fewer than 6 Big Ten games, and you're suggesting that he would have gone winless in conference, lost in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament, and been unable to hit .500 in the non-conference schedule?

Assuming losses to the 4 power conference teams we played this year, that implies that you are predicting at least 3 losses to the likes of Franklin Pierce, Western Kentucky, Maryland Baltimore County, Western Carolina, North Dakota, Seattle, Southern, Furman, and UNC Wilmington. That would be probably the worst season in Gopher basketball history. Going to back to the late 1990's, there have only been 2 instances of a Big Ten team winning 6 games or fewer overall, and neither of those were the Gophers, unless of course you count the vacated seasons as 0 win seasons.

The last couple seasons may not have been great if Tubby were still here, but I think it's an exaggeration to suggest we'd be hitting a record low for Gopher basketball.

I feel bad for your fan base that people still hang on to tubby. HE HAD TO GO ! Now is Pitino the right guy? Only time will tell and he deserves the support and the time. They would have loved to get Shaka or a Tony Bennett but that simply was not going to happen. When will the fan base jump all in on the guy who is being paid now?

I think there are very very few Gopher fans who are still hung up on Tubby, maybe just one or two people who won't let go. I didn't think he was as awful as others here do, but I'm still on board with the Pitino staff. I would say a majority of the time that Tubby is still brought up (which thankfully isn't super often anymore), it's to talk about how terrible Texas Tech is/is going to be, and how terrible we would be if he were still here.

With his added years of experience, I believe Tubby would have been far more effective than Pitino, in getting all the apathetic seniors fully under the bus much earlier in the season.

Thanks for your sympathy. I feel bad for us, too, having to listen to you know who, that other guy and those other two (you know who you are) incessantly. But that's part and parcel of the overall larger cross we carry as Gopher basketball fans. I think it'll help get us to heaven faster, but I can't be sure of that.

I thought you couldn't change history.

Some try to, but ya just can't.

That is exactly why you are saying it. Your whole agenda is try and discredit the AD at every turn because he fired......

I only did this just to get you worked up. For all the people who commented on this, I didn't mention any names other than the AD. Only time will tell. People came to this school to make a name for themselves like most CEOs do these days. I would bring in an AD who is from MN and knows the people to raise money for a better future. Until then, keep blaming the previous admin for all the losses. That will get you nowhere. These coaches make millions so they are having a good time in Indy while you sit here and bash others who have been gone for a while now.

I only did this just to get you worked up. For all the people who commented on this, I didn't mention any names other than the AD. Only time will tell. People came to this school to make a name for themselves like most CEOs do these days. I would bring in an AD who is from MN and knows the people to raise money for a better future. Until then, keep blaming the previous admin for all the losses. That will get you nowhere. These coaches make millions so they are having a good time in Indy while you sit here and bash others who have been gone for a while now.

I didn't nor have I blamed the previous admin for any losses. Haven't bashed anyone that has been gone for a while now. Only one I have bashed is you and your constant whining because your feelings are hurt the AD fired the previous coach.

So a Joel Maturi type. Next

Really, the only people who are hanging on is non-local person who was a fan of the man. The biggest problem with our fan base on this board is that they continue to have a conversation with an idiot who has a totally transparent agenda which encourages more of these meaningless conversations.
On the other hand, it does open the door for a few hilarious comments: well done goodasgold and Bad Gopher.

Really, the only people who are hanging on is non-local person who was a fan of the man. The biggest problem with our fan base on this board is that they continue to have a conversation with an idiot who has a totally transparent agenda which encourages more of these meaningless conversations.
On the other hand, it does open the door for a few hilarious comments: well done goodasgold and Bad Gopher.

DPO - aka the dolly?

I hope that U of M gives out degree to those who respect other's point of view. If they don't agree with you they are idiots. Wow, how articulate??? Yes you are very intelligent along with scools12. Your posts are so meaningful that we should use them on Sundays as sermons.

Oh, so sorry

I hope that U of M gives out degree to those who respect other's point of view. If they don't agree with you they are idiots. Wow, how articulate??? Yes you are very intelligent along with scools12. Your posts are so meaningful that we should use them on Sundays as sermons.
This from someone who himself the 'real truth'? What does that mean? You're offensive Mr. 'I know the real truth' before you even open your mouth.

This from someone who admits he says things just to 'rile' people up???
I don't disagree with your opinion - I don't even care what it is.

I think your agenda is idiotic. Tubby is gone. If you think the fan base here had anything to do with that, you're crazy. Our fan base is as mild as they come.

I said that I used to. I have not said anything about the previous people lately. I certainly don't think that I am always right. Some of you do. You think that your words are gospel. They are not. We all are a bunch of losers who have nothing better to do that arguing on a message board.

I said that I used to. I have not said anything about the previous people lately. I certainly don't think that I am always right. Some of you do. You think that your words are gospel. They are not. We all are a bunch of losers who have nothing better to do that arguing on a message board.

Finally somebody said it.

Top Bottom