Myron Medcalf: "I don't care what Minnesota fans think"

Mods edited my post, eliminating my congratulations to dpo on his hard work.

So, this edited version will ask a question: how much do people think a beat writer in a market like the Twin Cities makes per year?

... fungible? ...

He's from Madison. I presume that he grew up a Packer and Badger fan, and was probably not good enough academically to get into Madison or the U, and settled for the best he could do at Mankato. Then, much to his chagrin, despite actively hating this state, its sports teams, and its citizens, he received an undeserved opportunity to work for a major newspaper and made his home here. The ultimate question is, why the hell is he still living here? You can write for ESPN and live pretty much anywhere. Go back home across the St. Croix to the anus of the U.S., or better yet move as far away from Minnesota as possible.

This is quite possibly your best post ever.

Harrumph!!!

I wholeheartedly concur!

He's not from Madison, but earlier you talked about wages at the STrib vs. ESPN which raises a question... neither directly related nor about Myron...

I do wonder how much people make being - say, the beat writer at a newspaper or being an AP writer. Not talking about anyone specific or a specific job, just a serious curiosity... I think of these jobs as being fairly compliance-based.. e.g., you need to write a game story, or write a pregame, gather quotes to base a story on, etc.. occasionally a 'human interest' story... even if you're really good, there may not be much value-add from an employer's perspective..
An long-time AP sportswriter in a market like the Twin Cities.. would you guess 70's... $80ish on average?

Don't know, but would believe it's not a very lucrative career without side gigs for the majority of writers. Guess that's true with a lot of careers after studying the liberal arts.

Hmmm.. now that I'm thinking of it. If** a young sportswriter is the beatwriter for a newspaper... and they are making like $35k a year... is it fair to expect much? I guess. Even if they don't make $, it's their chosen career.

I just want to remember to come back and read this again sometime.

A truly horrific writer. Not once have he offered any meaningful insight

Even in the bad years, how often do the Vikings lose by a lot at home? It's pretty rare. We almost always play the Packers tough at home even when they are much better than us.

We don't really expect him to be a fan of the local teams. We just get pissed off when he goes out of his way to criticize everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ESPN has many many writers and on air personnel that are absolutely horrible.

PTI and/or a Minnesota game...........that's it for me.

I feel bad for Myron. Being a Mankato State graduate is tough.

You do know why he says these things, don't you? Because we are the only ones who actually know who he is and notices what he writes. If he doesn't piss us off, life would be completely empty. And he has a sea of sports writers who have shown him that this is The Way to write about sports.
This is the era of the Anti-Homer.

In post #75, moonlight hit it right on the button.

Top Bottom