Myron Medcalf: "I don't care what Minnesota fans think"

Hack writer who ripped on UVA this year when they were 25-1 before the Justin Anderson injury. Then he was blasted by Bob Knight and Bob Huggins for knowing nothing about the game. They both said on Huggins radio show that the game had not had a young coach come in like Bennett in as long as they could remember. He should be blasted on here for going out of his way to trash Minnesota and for making the assumption that Pitino is a coaching superstar. No one knows yet. All i know is Pitino owes Minnesota, they gave him this job when no one else did.

Complete the new sports complex and that might shut Myron up since his usual theme is that Minnesota doesn't invest enough in its basketball program. He kind of reminds me of our old friend *********** in that he goes out of his way to trash Minnesota, and never mentions what Minnesota is doing to address his criticism. He's simply not very professional. Our trashing of Iowa in football last year seems to have shut *********** up at least for the moment.

Myron is just proof that anyone can stumble upon a job and be employed way above their level of competence. ESPN should be embarrassed that their name is associated with such an idiot. The only Tweeting that he should be doing is discussing where to go to lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He is from Wisconsin and went to Mankato State. Lol. Fail.

If you have to tell everyone how you "don't care" what someone or some groups thinks, it's probably because you do. I'm amazed at how even some of the best journalists out there can get pulled into twitter wars with fans. With someone of Medcalf's average to below average skills, it's not surprise he has to tell us "he doesn't care."

He was extremely under-qualified for the job he got at the Star Tribune, he was basically just out of college. I'm guessing he was 'priced right' for where the Strib prioritizes Gopher basketball coverage.

He proceeded to do an extremely poor job which might have been passable at the Mankato Free Press where he should have been working. Then thankfully but mysteriously, ESPN saw fit to 'promote' him.

If he's bitter about the fact that people didn't like him when he was here, I don't see how constantly crapping in the program makes his butt-hurt go away. The best I can figure is that someone in the AD called him out at some point for being the hack he is. (I doubt it was Tubby.)

Sid got his job at the Strib just out of grade school. :cool:

I've followed Gopher basketball for about 35 years and Myron was the worst beat writer they ever had, not even close. Poor writing ability, poor basketball knowledge, poor attitude, poor professionalism. I was so glad the Strib got rid of him, whether you consider writing for ESPN (as one of their army of work-at-home basketball writers) a "promotion" or not.

He was extremely under-qualified for the job he got at the Star Tribune, he was basically just out of college. I'm guessing he was 'priced right' for where the Strib prioritizes Gopher basketball coverage.

He proceeded to do an extremely poor job which might have been passable at the Mankato Free Press where he should have been working. Then thankfully but mysteriously, ESPN saw fit to 'promote' him.

If he's bitter about the fact that people didn't like him when he was here, I don't see how constantly crapping in the program makes his butt-hurt go away. The best I can figure is that someone in the AD called him out at some point for being the hack he is. (I doubt it was Tubby.)

Good synopsis. Actually, great synopsis.

Makes you wonder how he keeps falling forward.
Who says it is forward? I'm not sure working for ESPN is great as a plebe. Big bucks if you are a star, but most of these companies want to make money, so they don't throw bucks at no-names who can't write.

Who says it is forward? I'm not sure working for ESPN is great as a plebe. Big bucks if you are a star, but most of these companies want to make money, so they don't throw bucks at no-names who can't write.

It's pretty safe to assume that he's making appreciably more money at ESPN than he did at the Star Tribune, given that a) why would he take a new job doing the same work if he didn't get a raise to do so; and b) ESPN is thriving and doing better than ever while the newspaper industry is facing a slow and agonizing death.

He just cant stop himself...I assume he is yet again ripping on MN sports teams.

Myron Medcalf @MedcalfByESPN · 51m 51 minutes ago
Just drove by the new Minnesota Vikings stadium. Man, it's really shaping up to be a beautiful venue that will host so many lopsided losses.

He just cant stop himself...I assume he is yet again ripping on MN sports teams.

Just drove by the new Minnesota Vikings stadium. Man, it's really shaping up to be a beautiful venue that will host so many lopsided losses.

Growing up in Minnesota, assuming he's a long-suffering Viking fan like the rest of us saying woe is me. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Growing up in Minnesota, assuming he's a long-suffering Viking fan like the rest of us saying woe is me. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He's not from Mn & he aint no Vikings fan.

He's not from Mn & he aint no Vikings fan.

He is an ESPN reporter. An absolute troll just like the rest of them.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=fea6bba813e6" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The real irony in that Britt McHenry thing is that she is mocking someone else's lack of talent, education, accomplishments, and career prospects, when in fact all Britt McHenry does is stand near and talk about other people who actually do have talent and impressive accomplishments.

Myron Medcalf: &quot;I don't care what Minnesota fans think&quot;

Minnesota fans think their teams (be that Gophers, Twins, T-Wolves, Vikings, Wild, etc) mean more to them than other teams. They think it would be nice to have sportswriters who thought that way, too (old school concept, I know). They think it shouldn't be too much to expect sports coverage where actual work is done ( the principal parties in a story actually get interviewed, in-depth background research is performed, insightful and fair stories are presented), and writers don't settle for just quoting another blogging hack and calling him a "source." I can see that you don't care about any of that Myron... and that's your problem.

Attended MSU from out of state?

He's from Madison. I presume that he grew up a Packer and Badger fan, and was probably not good enough academically to get into Madison or the U, and settled for the best he could do at Mankato. Then, much to his chagrin, despite actively hating this state, its sports teams, and its citizens, he received an undeserved opportunity to work for a major newspaper and made his home here. The ultimate question is, why the hell is he still living here? You can write for ESPN and live pretty much anywhere. Go back home across the St. Croix to the anus of the U.S., or better yet move as far away from Minnesota as possible.

Good one Myron. As someone already pointed out to him on twitter, the Vikings are actually 17-7 at home their last 3 seasons.

He's from Madison. I presume that he grew up a Packer and Badger fan, and was probably not good enough academically to get into Madison or the U, and settled for the best he could do at Mankato. Then, much to his chagrin, despite actively hating this state, its sports teams, and its citizens, he received an undeserved opportunity to work for a major newspaper and made his home here. The ultimate question is, why the hell is he still living here? You can write for ESPN and live pretty much anywhere. Go back home across the St. Croix to the anus of the U.S., or better yet move as far away from Minnesota as possible.
This is quite possibly your best post ever.

Top Bottom